PS3 in trouble

As for Blue-ray, I really don't see a huge difference between BR and my upscaling DVD player and even worse the expensive BR discs don't play in regular DVD players. Most of our DVD purchases are movies for my kids. We purchased Enchanted on DVD and then realized that we can only watch in our bedroom. So we have never purchased another BR disc and won't until they start including a regular DVD version or double siding them like HDD were (one side HDD one side DVD). Overall, I can't see how anybody who has experienced both machines would choose a PS3 over a 360.
That's where my inexperience comes into play. I've owned an original Xbox years ago, but nothing since. One of my friends has a 360 and I loved it. My 2 and 5 year old would probably destroy it if I owned one, though. Do upscaling DVD players really work that good? I've pondered getting one of those but figured it would leave a little to be desired PQ-wise but maybe that's not a bad idea considering my budget. I don't have time for video games at this point in time, anyway, but figured a PS3 would be great to have if I ever got the gaming bug again + the BluRay option.

I am sure this has been batted around a time or two, but I noticed a very sizable difference in both the quality of audio and video from my Blu-ray (PS3) versus that of my Sammy upscaler. I mean, to me, it is night and day, to my wife not so much.........., but then again, she tries to tell me HD vs. analog doesn't look any different to her either, so take that as you will.

I have never played the 360, so I have basis of comparison, however, I enjoy my PS3 for all of the reasons just previously listed. Plus, I have no way to run wire to my theater in the basement, so the wifi was a God send. I was floored when I heard that the Xbox folks have to pay for online gameplay. What does that cost, $20-$25/month? With a year of service, you could have almost bought a PS3 had you saved the money. Personally, I really only play online, so it is huge to me to not have to pay for that "privilege".

I am sure this has been batted around a time or two, but I noticed a very sizable difference in both the quality of audio and video from my Blu-ray (PS3) versus that of my Sammy upscaler. I mean, to me, it is night and day, to my wife not so much.........., but then again, she tries to tell me HD vs. analog doesn't look any different to her either, so take that as you will.

I have never played the 360, so I have basis of comparison, however, I enjoy my PS3 for all of the reasons just previously listed. Plus, I have no way to run wire to my theater in the basement, so the wifi was a God send. I was floored when I heard that the Xbox folks have to pay for online gameplay. What does that cost, $20-$25/month? With a year of service, you could have almost bought a PS3 had you saved the money. Personally, I really only play online, so it is huge to me to not have to pay for that "privilege".
It's $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold Subscription (can play games online.)

And that's if you don't buy it as a deal somewhere, and many games come with a month free that you can tack onto your account.

Thanks to keeping an eye on deals, I've paid maybe $3/mo over the life of my 360.

That's where my inexperience comes into play. I've owned an original Xbox years ago, but nothing since. One of my friends has a 360 and I loved it. My 2 and 5 year old would probably destroy it if I owned one, though. Do upscaling DVD players really work that good? I've pondered getting one of those but figured it would leave a little to be desired PQ-wise but maybe that's not a bad idea considering my budget. I don't have time for video games at this point in time, anyway, but figured a PS3 would be great to have if I ever got the gaming bug again + the BluRay option.

BR HD is a nicer picture, but IMHO not that much nicer. My wife notices no difference at all. The only difference she noticed is that the BR disc cost $34.99. She also was not too happy when I told her the nanny couldn't put it on in the family room (which is the kids playroom), because it only works on BR players.

Joe

... Do upscaling DVD players really work that good? I've pondered getting one of those but figured it would leave a little to be desired PQ-wise but maybe that's not a bad idea considering my budget. ....

What size TV do you/will you have?

On a 27", you probably won't see much difference between upscaled SD and HD. By the time you get to the 40" range, you'll see it for sure, and at 50+ inches it's quite obvious. And the audio quality is always much better in HD. IMHO. Others may disagree.

Especially if they are grinding an axe against Blu-ray.

Well I'm by no means a fanboy (I own all 3 systems). but here's a few things I could think of:

Free online multiplayer <= I am not into Multiplayer, I barely have time for single player.
Built-in wireless networking <= True, but I spent $50 and bought an internet bridge, not a big deal to me.

Decent level Blu Ray Player <= I already discussed.

Controller Preference <= The PS3 is inferior to 360 in IMHO, but everybody has their prefrence.

Many of the same games as 360 <= Not really, many games come out later or not at all.

Upgradeable HD that is not proprietary <= What are you talking about?

Playstation Home (Eventually) <= let them fix the menu system first. I don't have time for it, that is if it ever shows up.

Bluetooth compatible <= should I care? Am I going to hook up my cell phone to it?

Ability to contribute to medical research <= Please give me a break.

PS1/PS2 compatibility (On a few models) <= Not important to me, I barely have time to play the new games that are coming out. 360 also has part compatibility.

Built in Web Browser <= I was excited about this feature, until I used it. I have a 42" plasma about 2' away from the foot of my bed and I can't make out anything sitting up in bed. IMHO completely useless.

Access to games from Sony Computer Entertainment <= But does it play games from Microsoft Studios?

Completely customizable interface <= Just make it easy to use in the first place.

It all comes down to preference, but it is definitely understandable why an educated gamer would prefer a PS3 over a 360.

First, it is obvious from your post that you are not a fanboy.

Second, I am a professional who works in NYC and has a 1:45 commute each way and has 5 yr old twin girls at home. Many weeks I don't even get a chance to turn on either machine, I don't care about all the little extra things you can do or customize. I want to turn on a machine and play. I don't want to wait 1/2 hour for an update or demo to install (not download - install) or spend 20 minutes trying to figure out why some demo is not downloading or downloading 3X or 4X. This is main reason I don't care that much for my PS3. It frustrates me.

As for games - 360 clearly has the larger library. IMHO the exclusives are much much better on the 360, the only exclusives on the PS3 that I liked were Uncharted and the game with the orange gun (forgot the name). There are too many great exclusives I played on 360 to name all (Mass Effect & GoW to name a couple).

Joe

The PS3 exclusive LittleBigPlanet could be a big game for your girls, with coop play and the sandbox nature of it... but one game does not a system make, especially if the investment isnt a good fit for you for a variety of other reasons.

Your comment in red about fixing the PS3 menu makes me laugh, i assume you mean the media bar (XMB)... i hate it too... they've since started adding the same interface to their TVs and I believe their laptops to some degree as well :(

What size TV do you/will you have?

On a 27", you probably won't see much difference between upscaled SD and HD. By the time you get to the 40" range, you'll see it for sure, and at 50+ inches it's quite obvious. And the audio quality is always much better in HD. IMHO. Others may disagree.

Especially if they are grinding an axe against Blu-ray.
50" PX80..Thanks for the info!

The PS3 exclusive LittleBigPlanet could be a big game for your girls, with coop play and the sandbox nature of it... but one game does not a system make, especially if the investment isnt a good fit for you for a variety of other reasons.

Your comment in red about fixing the PS3 menu makes me laugh, i assume you mean the media bar (XMB)... i hate it too... they've since started adding the same interface to their TVs and I believe their laptops to some degree as well :(

I do mean the media bar. I don't think my girls will ever get to play anything on my PS3 as I don't like to encourage them to be in our bedroom. They dominate the rest of the house, we need one room to ourselves.

They actually love to play Tiger Woods on the 360, it is the only non-agressive game I have. They would love to play Overlord, but my wife recently caught them watching me play and there is no chance of them ever trying it at this point.

Joe

Upgradeable HD that is not proprietary.

What I mean is that you can go on Newegg.com and buy a Terabyte HD for your PS3 for the same price as a 120 GB Xbox 360 Hard Drive. If you want to upgrade your storage space on your 360 you have to buy a 20, 60, or 120GB proprietary hard drive, while you can get a "standard" hard drive for your PS3.

Again. I can name at least 10 people here at work that had a 360 RROD . I can't find one unhappy PS3 owner. In fact , most of the gamers here gave up on the 360 over a year ago and moved to the PS3.

i've had my 360 for almost 3 years with no problems at all

What I mean is that you can go on Newegg.com and buy a Terabyte HD for your PS3 for the same price as a 120 GB Xbox 360 Hard Drive. If you want to upgrade your storage space on your 360 you have to buy a 20, 60, or 120GB proprietary hard drive, while you can get a "standard" hard drive for your PS3.

Ya I wish the situation was reversed. I don't see myself ever using the 40gb in my PS3, while on the 360 I have so much content that I have to go dump a demo or two off of it so I can download the latest Rock Band content :p

Looking forward to the $99 60gb HDD w/ 3 months of Live. Will probably end up picking that up when it is released.

Well I'm by no means a fanboy (I own all 3 systems) but here's a few things I could think of:

Free online multiplayer <- on a buggy network not as good as XBL
Built-in wireless networking <- I'll give you this one
Upgradeable HD that is not proprietary <- And this one though I've yet to fill my 20gb
Playstation Home (Eventually) <- XBL Fall update will likely beat home to it's debut
Bluetooth Compatible <- but does not work with IR/RF remotes
Ability to contribute to medical research <- snore, it's a gaming console
Built in Web Browser <- I'll give it to you but the browser is poor
Access to games from Sony Computer Entertainment <- maybe 1/4 as good as XBL Marketplace

I had a PS3 for a few weeks and stuck with the 360. The two things I gave credit for in your argument were outweighed by the 360 at the time (especially when the 360's graphics were better in the first year of PS3... now they're about equal)

For me online gaming is a lot and PSN is like going back to dialup for internet... I just can't do it. I do miss games like MGS but with exclusivity in the dying stages (very few exclusives on any system) it seems that this is likely the only game I'll miss out on.

As for Blu-Ray being in the Xbox... I'd doubt it. Odds are MS is shooting for a downloadable media format on their next console. BD has proven to be slower even though it has more storage space... hence the "forced installs"

Downloads, esp HD downloads, are being constrained more and more by FAPs. So even without the Magic Fairy super high speed internet connections (as in, not existing), there are barriers.

Well, there are alot of fans of all systems here posting. I like to use this analogy with my customers about differances. If you drive a truck -- what kind of truck do you drive and why? In my much younger years I used to be a service writer(back in the 70's) and then there was only two trucks to buy -- Ford or Chevy! The rest were toys back then and if you wanted to start a fight just get Ford and Chevy truck owners together and start talking bad about either truck. Heck, I knew a farmer who just loved the new Chevy Silveraldo till it parked him on the side of the road 2 months after he bought it. Went back to Ford the next day! True Story

Reason for my analogy is that consoles today are becoming much more then just a game machine. The Wii is innovative in that it gets folks physically moving while playing the game. Heck, my wife who has never played a video game in her life (we are both over 50) plays the Wii just because she can move around. The media abilities of the PS3 have surpassed any console to date. The games that are only on the PS3 are just as fun as any game on any other console and motion control along with the new vibrating controllers is a hoot. The XBOX360 has games that you can jump into -- online with others -- and start having fun right away.

No console is losing in todays market -- only the Wii is really making a killing. If there is a negative here is that every XBOX360 exclusive also comes out on the PC where it looks better and is easier to control -- that is if you can afford a $1600 PC. You can do media alot easier on a PC but not as cheaply as you can on the PS3 and no PC game will make you move like the easiest Wii game. Enjoy what you have and feel blessed - there are some who cannot afford even an XBOX360 or a inexpensive PC. Those who own one or more systems and/or a PC are blessed. Why not play your games and stop worring about what the other guys are playing -- and if you are interested - buy the other system. You might find out you like it:eek:

Well, there are alot of fans of all systems here posting. I like to use this analogy with my customers about differances. If you drive a truck -- what kind of truck do you drive and why? In my much younger years I used to be a service writer(back in the 70's) and then there was only two trucks to buy -- Ford or Chevy! The rest were toys back then and if you wanted to start a fight just get Ford and Chevy truck owners together and start talking bad about either truck. Heck, I knew a farmer who just loved the new Chevy Silveraldo till it parked him on the side of the road 2 months after he bought it. Went back to Ford the next day! True Story

Reason for my analogy is that consoles today are becoming much more then just a game machine. The Wii is innovative in that it gets folks physically moving while playing the game. Heck, my wife who has never played a video game in her life (we are both over 50) plays the Wii just because she can move around. The media abilities of the PS3 have surpassed any console to date. The games that are only on the PS3 are just as fun as any game on any other console and motion control along with the new vibrating controllers is a hoot. The XBOX360 has games that you can jump into -- online with others -- and start having fun right away.

No console is losing in todays market -- only the Wii is really making a killing. If there is a negative here is that every XBOX360 exclusive also comes out on the PC where it looks better and is easier to control -- that is if you can afford a $1600 PC. You can do media alot easier on a PC but not as cheaply as you can on the PS3 and no PC game will make you move like the easiest Wii game. Enjoy what you have and feel blessed - there are some who cannot afford even an XBOX360 or a inexpensive PC. Those who own one or more systems and/or a PC are blessed. Why not play your games and stop worring about what the other guys are playing -- and if you are interested - buy the other system. You might find out you like it:eek:

Thank you for that. The last two lines were sage advice.

I am planning on jumping in and moving on from the PS2 to PS3....Hopeing after turkey day they have some nice promos, I think last year it included a game and movie....I guess wait and see (or untill the black friday ads get released)

Unfortunately, there is a perception that in order for MY system of choice to flourish, YOUR'S must wither on the vine.

The fact of the matter is that all three are doing quite nicely.

The Wii is expanding the market, and bringing new gamers in. Meanwhile, the top 10 lists tend to be dominated by 360/PS3 titles other than the WiiPlay (aka, extra controller), Mario Titles, etc....

I hated Sony because they were trying to kill HD DVD, a format I preferred (my Dad misses borrowing discs form me... the combo discs could be watched by him on his standard player, .. my BluRays can't), and they had a rep for using exclusivity as a club to get you to embrace their product.

The good news is that exclusivity is being reduced. All the big titles are available on multiple systems (PS3 fanboys get BioShock soon, etc...), so it is becoming less of an issue.....

Plenty of fun to go around.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts