Ps3-over 500,000 sold already?

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
according to a thread at sony.com, and also what I saw in person today at a walmart, The ps3's no longer include the talladega nights Blu ray that was to be included in the first 500,000 ps3's sold, I am going to assume this means united states and canada only, but I cant back that up as fact right now, if someone can help me do that as I am at work, I would apperciate it, but again I am assuming this means 500,000 Ps3's sold.

I have been hearing less then 200,000 PS3's have shipped so far. And I have heard this number from a number of places.

I think Sony is finding out people are not buying PS3's to watch movies.

Just got mine yesterday. My local ebgames got 10 in. They seem to get some every friday, I just went in 1/2 hour before the UPS man was expected and that was that. Mine did have the movie included. Bad news was, I got it for my kids for Christmas and they happened to rent the bloody movie at Blockbuster yesterday. So watched in in regular DVD. Wonder if i can sell the BR or at least take it over to EB and maybe trade it in.

Since Japan's total PS3 sales were 238k a few days ago and the PS3 sold under 195k in November (North America), it's likely the 500k is worldwide.

I just watched that movie, I can't believe there is a market for it here. What an awful movie. :down

If there are more and more sitings of PS3s in stores the number has to be more then 500,000. If given that about 178,000 (weak very weak) were sold on launch day and both Circuit City, Target and Best Buy and Gamestop/EB have recieved at least as many PS3s since launch it would seem Sony has stepped up production. If we double the launch numbers that would equal to 356,000 units. Now that secondary retailers are now recieving them (even in small quantities of 10) it would be hard not to come to the conclusion that at least 500,000 or more PS3s have shipped here in North America.

I am sure some marketing agency is talling numbers and we shall know shortly how many PS3s made it to the market before Christmas. All I can say is lookout if Sony actually hits its 6 million projection of acutal sales by the end of March 2007. To do in 5 months what it took M$ 10 months with the XBOX360 can not be seen as good news for M$ at all. And how about that Wii! If the remotes don't start killing people that system might sell over 10 million by the end of March 2007! Who said the video game market was slowing down?

If there are more and more sitings of PS3s in stores the number has to be more then 500,000. If given that about 178,000 (weak very weak) were sold on launch day and both Circuit City, Target and Best Buy and Gamestop/EB have recieved at least as many PS3s since launch it would seem Sony has stepped up production. If we double the launch numbers that would equal to 356,000 units. Now that secondary retailers are now recieving them (even in small quantities of 10) it would be hard not to come to the conclusion that at least 500,000 or more PS3s have shipped here in North America.

I am sure some marketing agency is talling numbers and we shall know shortly how many PS3s made it to the market before Christmas. All I can say is lookout if Sony actually hits its 6 million projection of acutal sales by the end of March 2007. To do in 5 months what it took M$ 10 months with the XBOX360 can not be seen as good news for M$ at all. And how about that Wii! If the remotes don't start killing people that system might sell over 10 million by the end of March 2007! Who said the video game market was slowing down?

What is the point of this post? Care to speculate more without any basis at all?

The question of this particular thread is if the PS3 has sold over 500,000 thousand units yet. If we count Japan with North America it surely has. As for my basis for unit projections I already know that the stores that I have listed have received as many PS3s since the launch as they recieved for the launch (according to discussions with store mangers and employees). I used the lower number I have read quoted as 178,000 x 2 to get to 356,000 here in North America. If I use the higher number of 198,000 units x 2 we get 396,000 units. Sales for the PS3 have already gone over 200,000 units in Japan so now we are at 556,000 to 596,000 units worldwide. Add to that the PS3 showing up at secondary retail sites, Sears, Amazon.com and others and I think it is very posible that over 500,000 units have been shiped to North America alone.

What is it about these numbers that confuse you? Once again this thread is about whether 500,000 units have shipped. While specific sales numbers on any specific item is hard to come by from retailers there is a way to extrapolate information to determine how well your competition is doing in sales on a particular item. All you have to do is ask the right questions. I used to do this for EB a long time ago and it is amazing how much information employees will spill without even knowing they are doing it. Do you have information to suggest that PS3s have not been showing up for sale over the last two weeks? Because it seems alot of stores have had the PS3 in some number over the last two weeks. Maybe because you never see them on a shelf you think that there are none being sold?

As I said, some retail bean counter will spill the numbers soon enough and we will have a real tally for sales for the PS3.

Last edited:
Wonder if i can sell the BR or at least take it over to EB and maybe trade it in.

I doubt any store would take the TN pack-in for trade or refund since it has completely different packaging. I didn't notice if it had a UPC code, but I remember seeing somewhere on the package that it is not to be resold.

You could very likely sell it on Ebay. There is a bunch on there (not many fans of the movie I guess :D ).

The ps3's no longer include the talladega nights Blu ray that was to be included in the first 500,000 ps3's sold.

I stopped at Circuit City today and they had 8 PS3 systems in stock. I ended up buying one. The box didn't have Talladega Nights listed on it so I am not sure if it is included still. Was it listed on the box launch day? Anyway I will have to let you guys know when I get home from work later today.

I stopped at Circuit City today and they had 8 PS3 systems in stock. I ended up buying one. The box didn't have Talladega Nights listed on it so I am not sure if it is included still. Was it listed on the box launch day? Anyway I will have to let you guys know when I get home from work later today.

yeah there was a sticker in the bottom right hand corner of the box that said it was inside!

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to include at least one "small" game that shows off the system to it's best, graphics-wise, and one demo movie disk to likewise show the system's video abilities? With a commercial on how to get more?

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to include at least one "small" game that shows off the system to it's best, graphics-wise, and one demo movie disk to likewise show the system's video abilities? With a commercial on how to get more?

you can download demos off of ps store and i must say motorstorm is looking amazing!!!1

I can't wait for MotorStorm to come out, because it looks and plays great on the demo.

You would think Sony would have packed a few demos on the hard drive for those unfortunate enough to NOT have broadband. Most of my family live in areas that have yet to receive any kind of wired broadband service, so they are stuck using dialup. Were it not for brand new elementary, middle and high schools going up two miles from house, I doubt I would even have broadband offerred for my area.

I can't wait for MotorStorm to come out, because it looks and plays great on the demo.

You would think Sony would have packed a few demos on the hard drive for those unfortunate enough to NOT have broadband. Most of my family live in areas that have yet to receive any kind of wired broadband service, so they are stuck using dialup. Were it not for brand new elementary, middle and high schools going up two miles from house, I doubt I would even have broadband offerred for my area.

Demos on the Hard drive would have been a nice touch, by the way everyone I found a pretty decent web site for sales, its vgcharts.org, and it looks as though the Ps3 isnt off to that bad of a start, as I believe the 360 only sold 600,000 before christmas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts