PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video – PlayStation Blog

If you're a Prime member, this has to even better news. I don't have Prime but I sometimes get Amazon VOD movies (especially when they put newer titles on sale for a weekend for $2.99 for HD). Now I don't have to watch via my Roku, which is hooked up to an older, smaller bedroom TV, or my Kindle Fire.

I may even see if I can live without my one disc at a time service from Netflix, which invariably forces me to watch movies I'm really not that interested in just to get the value from my subscription. Now I can just rent the 2-3 movies/month from Amazon that I really want to see any time I want.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Sweet, now they need to offer ESPN3 and it will be my go to device for my streaming. Or the xbox needs to add Amazon. Either way. lol

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video – PlayStation Blog

If you're a Prime member, this has to even better news. I don't have Prime but I sometimes get Amazon VOD movies (especially when they put newer titles on sale for a weekend for $2.99 for HD). Now I don't have to watch via my Roku, which is hooked up to an older, smaller bedroom TV, or my Kindle Fire.

I may even see if I can live without my one disc at a time service from Netflix, which invariably forces me to watch movies I'm really not that interested in just to get the value from my subscription. Now I can just rent the 2-3 movies/month from Amazon that I really want to see any time I want.

If you were willing to save the money on a Netflix sub, wouldn't it have been worth it to just buy an HDMI switch for the main TV and move Roku to there and/or buy a 2nd Roku?

I expect we'll see this on the 360 at some point soon.

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
If you were willing to save the money on a Netflix sub, wouldn't it have been worth it to just buy an HDMI switch for the main TV and move Roku to there and/or buy a 2nd Roku?

I expect we'll see this on the 360 at some point soon.

It's never even occurred to me to not have Netflix before now (I've been a customer since I got my first DVD player in early 2002). But I've put my account on hold temporarily to force myself to use up over $25 in Amazon VoD credits that expire at the end of April. I didn't really mind watching comedies and dramas on my bedroom set up, but if I'm going to drop blu-ray rentals of action blockbusters that I only watch in my livingroom, then the quality from Amazon is going to have to be pretty good. So this month will be a prefect opportunity to test it.

I have on a couple of occasions dragged the Roku out to the livingroom; but it's a bit of a hassle. I actually have plenty of HDMI ports on my AVR to spare, but the Roku was my only source of content in the bedroom aside from a few HD channels via cable/QAM. Never really saw enough of a need for a second Roku in the livingroom once the PS3 got a Netflix app.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Interesting. I might need to give it a try, since I'm a Prime member I only use my PS3 as a BD player, and have been considering selling it and replacing it with a dedicated BD player. But this might be a reason to keep it around. My PS3 is an early one, so it can play PS2 games. Ought a be worth something, at least until the new console is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts