PS4 Owners Thread

Cool. I almost bought Grim Fandango during the Steam sale but I'm glad I didn't now. This is the first PS Plus or Games With Gold game I have actually been interested in playing in several months.

Edit: I just double checked the January Games With Gold and I will probably check out Killer Instinct too. I tried to play the free-to-play version a long time ago but only being able to pick 1 free, rotating character turned me off.

Yeah I never really understood that F2P model they did with KI. They should have just done a reboot of the original. KI was really amazing when it came out back in the day. I also remember how the game used to advertise that it was running on the Nintendo 64 hardware, when really it wasn't and the version they released was different.

Yeah I never really understood that F2P model they did with KI. They should have just done a reboot of the original. KI was really amazing when it came out back in the day. I also remember how the game used to advertise that it was running on the Nintendo 64 hardware, when really it wasn't and the version they released was different.

I would have been okay with the free to play model if they either unlocked more characters or at least let us pick which character we wanted for free. It sucked going online and finding that 9/10 fights were Jago vs Jago (or whoever the free character was that week).

Smite has a lot more available characters to sell so maybe this isn't a fair comparison but I strongly prefer the way they handle their free to play model. Free players get 10 characters to choose from in any match. 5 of those characters are permanetely unlocked and which ones you get depends on when you made your account for the game. The other 5 are the same for everyone but rotate every week or two.

If Killer Instinct would have even gone with 1 permanent unlocked character and 1 rotating free character it could have gone a long ways towards the variety in matchups.

I had a feeling Grim Fandago would make it to Plus, and like king3pj, I'm glad I didn't bite on an earlier sale price. Sony has often featured game remakes on all platforms in its Plus offerings.

But I agree with meStevo. The Plus offerings keep getting weaker and weaker. Reaching all the way back to a six-year-old RPG (Dragon Age Origin) for PS3 is just weird (I already own it on both PS3 and PC). I'd rather get a more recent indie. I know eventually the options for PS3 will run out, but there is still a humongous untapped back catalog of AAA titles to draw from. For starters, we have still yet to see an Assassins Creed game or LEGO game as a free Plus game.

As for the other games, I haven't heard of any of them, though maybe some are day-one releases. Unfortunately, the PS Blog post no longer provides any useful information about the free Plus games coming up, so who knows without doing a bit of research?

I think PS Plus and Games With Gold have both been pretty week this generation. I know I had a post from back when it was announced that PS Plus would be required for online play that this would happen but that was so long ago that I don't want to try to dig for it.

The general idea was that it was easier for them to give away high end games when only a small portion of PlayStation gamers were Plus members. I was worried that they wouldn't include the same level of games if they had to give them to nearly every PS4 owner. I think that is what is happening now. I don't think you would be able to find anyone who honestly thinks the quality of PS Plus has been as high since the PS4 launch.

I think PS Plus and Games With Gold have both been pretty week this generation. I know I had a post from back when it was announced that PS Plus would be required for online play that this would happen but that was so long ago that I don't want to try to dig for it.

The general idea was that it was easier for them to give away high end games when only a small portion of PlayStation gamers were Plus members. I was worried that they wouldn't include the same level of games if they had to give them to nearly every PS4 owner. I think that is what is happening now. I don't think you would be able to find anyone who honestly thinks the quality of PS Plus has been as high since the PS4 launch.

I actually haven't minded the "low end" games so much. I just like to complain. ;)

Would I rather get AAA titles like Second Son, AC IV, or even Knack for PS4? Sure. Who wouldn't? But with my expectations lowered, I'm pretty happy with games like Broken Age, Grim Fandango, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, and a few other recent offerings. It helps that I still have all three systems, with no intention to ever buy Vita or PS3 games unless they are Flash Sale priced (under $3). Plus has always been a way to try games that I would have never purchased. I guess another upside is I no longer need to worry about buying a AAA title for PS4, only to see it end up as a free game a few months later. lol

Looking into January's offering's a bit more, I think I'll give Nihilumbra a shot. It's gotten decent reviews and has a short (3-hour) story mode that looks worth playing while catching a sporting event on TV.

I have gotten a couple PS4 games like Rocket League and Binding of Isaac that I got a ton of hours of enjoyment from. I play tons of indie games and I don't have a problem with that being a majority of the PS Plus offerings.

The problem is that many of them are dirt cheap on PC well before they are offered as part of PS Plus. For example Grim Fandango Remastered is $2.99 on Steam right now. Getting it included with PS Plus isn't that exciting when it costs the same price as a cup of coffee. I end up buying many of these indies on PC before they come to PS Plus because they are so cheap.

The way this year has gone I think I could have used the $50 I spent on PS Plus and purchased all included games I actually cared about and had money left over. I know that you get more than $50 worth of games per year but if most of them are games you don't care about what is the point?

If PS Plus wasn't required for online play I would have canceled by now and waited for them to consistently offer games I care about again. This isn't just a knock on Sony either. I wouldn't say that Microsoft has been much better but at least Tomb Raider Definitive Edition was included.

In what was previously referred to as "Scheduled Maintenance" has now turned into "Outage for God Know's How Long" as Sony confirms that PSN is down (or at least is having issues) with no ETA. I like how they tried to pass off "Scheduled Maintenance" as something that normally occurs from 12pm to 3:30pm EST.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/psn-outage/

I think it sucks that they can't seem to do a better job with their network than they do. Xbox Live and Steam are both so much more reliable than PSN. At the same time, even those services aren't bulletproof.

The extension seems silly though. Last time they basically extended it 1 day for every day it was down. If they do the same here and extend it for a day it won't have any real impact for anyone. They can keep their extra day of PS Plus. Just figure out how to keep these hacker groups from taking down the network whenever they want.

Got my free 1 day PS+ extension code today. Can honestly say that I didn't even know it was out until I read about it online. I'm not an every single day gamer. I'll take the free day though. :)

Got my free 1 day PS+ extension code today. Can honestly say that I didn't even know it was out until I read about it online. I'm not an every single day gamer. I'll take the free day though. :)

When I was in between Plus memberships a couple of months ago, I tried to access my game saves on the cloud on the PS4 just to see if I could, and I was prompted to sign up for a free two-day trial. So if you are looking to further extend your membership ... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)