Purpose of the Multi splitter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JTOUPS

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Purpose of the Multiswitch?

Do the multiswitches give you the option to add a second reciever with paying the fee? I'm sure both TV's would be on the same channel at all times, right?

Last edited:
Do the splitters give you the option to add a second reciever with paying the fee? I'm sure both TV's would be on the same channel at all times, right?

No, it does not have any impact on the fee. A receiver will not receive any channels unless it is authorized, and that means paying the additional receiver fee.

If you want to drive two TVs from one receiver you can do that by using more than one connection from the back of the receiver, if you have a receiver that has more than one output active at the same time (some older receivers don't)
. Obviously the two TVs will see the same channel.

I assume you are referring to a multiswitch. It's not a splitter, splitters won't work on DirecTV because each receiver needs a separate path back to the dish. So if you are using a 3-lnb or 5-lnb dish, there are four cables from the dish which allows you to connect four tuners (DVR=2 tuners). If you need more than four tuners, that's where the multiswitch comes in. You connect the four cables from the dish to the multiswitch and then you can connect a larger number of tuners to the multiswitch (typically 8 or 16, depending on the multiswitch).

Thanks for the input. I have one HD reciever & the HD Dish. So I'm sure my reciever will have more than 1 output.

Let me ask you this: If I add a 2nd & 3rd "purchased" receiver, would I only pay one $4.99 fee or two? (since I wouldn't be leasing any equipment, it's considered a mirror fee, correct?)

Thanks for the input. I have one HD reciever & the HD Dish. So I'm sure my reciever will have more than 1 output.

Let me ask you this: If I add a 2nd & 3rd "purchased" receiver, would I only pay one $4.99 fee or two? (since I wouldn't be leasing any equipment, it's considered a mirror fee, correct?)

You pay the same fee whether your eqipment is owned or leased. For each additional receiver that is owned, you pay a $4.99 additional receiver fee.
For each additional receiver that is leased, you don't pay the additional receiver fee but you do pay a $4.99 leased receiver fee. Same monthly fee, just a different name.

Do the multiswitches give you the option to add a second reciever with paying the fee? I'm sure both TV's would be on the same channel at all times, right?

Interesting topic. My neighbor just upgraded to HD from D*, and I noticed that after the tech's left they did not install a multiswith for his "Slimline Dish". When I had mine installed a year ago, the multiswitch was included. My neighbor noticed that the "Slimline" had a 'built-in multiswith'. Is this correct?? His new Mitsu 52631 tv looks great, but his RCA 52" CRT looks crappy and low signal strength. Would the multiswitch help this??:confused: :confused:

Interesting topic. My neighbor just upgraded to HD from D*, and I noticed that after the tech's left they did not install a multiswith for his "Slimline Dish". When I had mine installed a year ago, the multiswitch was included. My neighbor noticed that the "Slimline" had a 'built-in multiswith'. Is this correct?? His new Mitsu 52631 tv looks great, but his RCA 52" CRT looks crappy and low signal strength. Would the multiswitch help this??:confused: :confused:

The multiswitch is only used to provide the feed to additional receivers. The Slimline dish (as well as some other models) has a builtin switch with four outputs. If you need to feed more than 4 tuners, a WB68 multiswitch which has 8 outputs is used. This should have no impact on signal quality.

Some early versions of the slimline needed a multiswitch even for a small number of tuners because of a problem. Current versions don't need a multiswitch unless you have more than four tuners, but many people report that the installer put in a WB68 anyway.
Putting in a multiswitch would not help with the PQ on the other TV. If the DirecTV receiver driving the TV has lower signal strength than other receivers, this probably indicates a cable problem. Your neighbor should try swapping the cables between receivers (or swapping the receivers) and see if the low signal strength moves with the receiver (indicating a receiver problem) or stays with the cable (cable/connector issue).

Some early versions of the slimline needed a multiswitch even for a small number of tuners because of a problem. Current versions don't need a multiswitch unless you have more than four tuners, but many people report that the installer put in a WB68 anyway.
Putting in a multiswitch would not help with the PQ on the other TV. If the DirecTV receiver driving the TV has lower signal strength than other receivers, this probably indicates a cable problem. Your neighbor should try swapping the cables between receivers (or swapping the receivers) and see if the low signal strength moves with the receiver (indicating a receiver problem) or stays with the cable (cable/connector issue).

That's what I thought as well. Another problem I tried to tell him about was he switched from Comcast to D* and I believe he said the installer used the existing Comcast cable that was there and re-routed those cables to the Slimline and then to the sat boxes........, I thought this could be an issue because D* cable is supposed to be RG6 right??

That's what I thought as well. Another problem I tried to tell him about was he switched from Comcast to D* and I believe he said the installer used the existing Comcast cable that was there and re-routed those cables to the Slimline and then to the sat boxes........, I thought this could be an issue because D* cable is supposed to be RG6 right??

Yes, DirecTV should be RG-6, and if he has any long runs he may be getting signal loss. Normally, using existing RG-59 inside the house is not a problem, but again it depends on the length of the run. The installer should have run new RG-6, preferably copper core, from wherever the internal cabling terminates, out to the dish.

So you guys are telling me that if you have (4) tv's in your house, you have to pay (3) $4.99 fee's whether they are leased or owned???

That just seems crazy!

I guess you' have a point. What I'm paying for HD can pay for 2 additional receivers, but I guess that's the sacrafice you gotta make for a great HD picture!

JTOUPS,
Now you are getting a feel for it.
It is easier to just add it up and see if that price is ok.
If you read your contract with DTV your world will get much smaller. You are getting digital picture from 23,000 miles out in space; 46,000 miles round trip. This is DTV! Trust them. They know best. If these details wern't important they would not have included them in the contract. But contracts are such dull reading.
Think NASCAR.

Joe

We have the same set and when we upgraded to HD, the image was crappy. Then I did an autoconvergence through DVI (where the HD signal was running) and it made all the difference in the world.
</IMG></IMG>

We have the same set and when we upgraded to HD, the image was crappy. Then I did an autoconvergence through DVI (where the HD signal was running) and it made all the difference in the world.
</IMG></IMG>

Yep, we did the autoconvergence on the RCA as well, although I think we did while it was hooked up through the "component" hookup. I'll have him do another one since we have connected the DVI cable.........., thanks:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)