PVR Help. Error 019!

Elite09

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and how/if it was fixed.

On Friday morning we woke up with our PVR saying the following error, "Error 19" "Your smartcard is not inserted correctly"

We can't get into any programing or anything. Just comes up with that screen.

We have done both a soft and hard reset/ left unplugged for a night/pulled smartcard out and put back in and even tried the smart card in every direction (It has an arrow on it so I know the right way)

We have the new smart card and did the switch months ago. Everything worked fine till now.

After talking to a CRS, they are sending me a new card (5-7 Business Days) and I have to mail back the old one or pay for it.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Do you have small children? If Yes, do they like to jam thing into sockets with lots of force or fiddle with things that they shouldn't?

boy921 said:
Do you have small children? If Yes, do they like to jam thing into sockets with lots of force or fiddle with things that they shouldn't?

I have a daughter who is four months, so no problems there. It is in an entertainment stand with glass doors. We never touch the card.

This is sooooo weird. We just woke up one morning and it had that message. I hope that the receiver is ok. Don't really want to spend alot of $$$ to replace. The CSR said the card will take 5-7 days to arrive. I hope that is the solution.

I have searched many boards and I have not seen a post of the same problem. I can't believe that I would be the first.

In another forum, someone suggested that it might be a ECM or something that wrecked my card. I don't know what that means as I am a paying subscriber and my HD receiver works fine. Just the PVR has this message and will not function.

I could live with the 5-7 day wait IF I could access the HDD for my shows on there. It won't even do that.

dfergie said:
Did you try a power button reset?...

Yes. I held down the Power button till the unit turned off. It would give me the same error. Also unplugged the unit on Saturday night for 8 hours till I woke up Sunday and it gives the same error message.

I am at a loss and so was the CSR. We could not do anything to the receiver because the second you turn it on it gives that message and you can't do anything else. Nothing. No menu, nothing. Pain in the butt.

My only three options are pull the card out for a reset, hold the power down for a reset or unplugg the PVR. Those are the only ones I know and I am hoping there is another dianostic(sp?) that I could try.

on SC's, at that point I would replace the receiver. Replacing the card might fix the problem. If it goes bad again, argue with Dish till they replace your receiver. If they won't, sign up for the DHP, get a SC for $29(possibly free), and have the tech replace your 501 on your SC. You'll lose your HDD, but it's worth the trouble.

This will sound strange. But try rubbing the gold contacts lightly on the card with a pencil eraser. Sometimes they get something on them that interrupts the connection, and this has corrected it for me in the past

pobs said:
This will sound strange. But try rubbing the gold contacts lightly on the card with a pencil eraser. Sometimes they get something on them that interrupts the connection, and this has corrected it for me in the past
Good first post! Welcome aboard!

You're absolutely right - sometimes that IS the fix. :up

Don't know if problem is solved yet or not But I've gone threw three 501's
until I figured they were getting over heated in my entertainment center
put the fourth one on the top haven't had a problem since ...

there was 8 inches around it but I think it still restricted sir flow did you sign up for Dishes Home warranty program?

with the 019 message you need to first make sure you have current s/w. then make sure the card is in right....arrow in color up.....then reset.....if that doesn't work....need a new box

hi elite09,

i am having the same exact problem ("card not inserted correctly") with my brand new yellow card. thought maybe i was an idiot and was somehow not inserting card correctly, so removed new card and inserted my old blue card in the same manner as the yellow one had been. no problem. called DISH; spoke with CSR; they are sending a new yellow card. hopefully this one will work.

hope that your story had a happy ending.

Elite09 said:
In another forum, someone suggested that it might be a ECM or something that wrecked my card. I don't know what that means as I am a paying subscriber and my HD receiver works fine. Just the PVR has this message and will not function.
Unless you've don't something fradulent, this won't be the case......and this wouldn't be the symptom. You would just be missing all channels except for the info channels, but just to make sure, take the card out and wait for the sys info screen.. When it comes up look at the Location id. If it's all zeros and a 1, a ECM got you, if it's something else, thats not the case.

I have had the same problem with the smartcard error for over 6 months, 4 new boxes, and 3 new smartcards. Sorry to say, the junk don't work. Will probably have to get rid of the dvr from DishNetwork, since it don't work. Have paid the repairman 3 times to come and 'fix' the problem. Feel like charging DishNetwork instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)