Q re DISH Network hard drive format / drive swapping

So, after all the "synergy" about this topic...one word conclusion...
Paperweight!

Reactions: ChadT41
related question- if a hard drive fails in a VIP722K, can one purchase a new same size hard drive and stick it in as a replacement and it will auto format and prepare the drive or does the drive need to be formatted by some factory system. I don't have a problem, yet, but would like to know if that day comes. TIA.

So, if I replace a 500Gb Western Digital drive with the exact same model and size it will format the drive and be good to go but if I replace the WD with a Seagate model it will not. Correct? Just trying to learn the limitations if the day comes and I need to do a repair.

Is there a list of drives that will work as alternates?

...but if I replace the WD with a Seagate model it will not. Correct?

Is there a list of drives that will work as alternates?
Certain Seagate models might work. I haven't seen, nor looked, for a listing for newer DVR models. I know they exist for much older DVRs though. Search Yahoo! Groups for "dish dvr" or "dish mod" and see if they have more current info.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the drive models that Dish and other DVR makers use aren't your off-the-shelf WD, Seagate, etc models. They're usually DVR-tailored models and not necessarily ones you can buy at Newegg, etc. They can be found, but just not from the usual places.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the cover off to see what was in there.
When my first 722K lost the HD after a year, I just called for Dish to replace it and the tech came out and swapped it out. Then he decided to go on his own and begin to install a new Dish which wasn't part of my request. I own all my dishes, all three of them. I saw him digging a hole in my front yard when I stopped him. My dishes are all out of sight on the roof. After a few words and me saying I was going to call Dish and complain he packed up and left. This sort of nonsense irritates me which is why I felt next time it may be easier to just do the repair myself. On my other 722, Dish just sent me a new one with a label to send the old one back. I don't know what triggers an install for a replacement repair but I understand if a Hopper upgrade is requested the home wiring may need to be redone.

Unless you own your DVR, there isn't much point to replacing the drive yourself. Just get the whole thing replaced.

I own my 722, but I had Dish replace it anyhow when it failed. (It wasn't the disk...) My refurbished 722 also shows "Owned", so I'm happy.

Unless you own your DVR, there isn't much point to replacing the drive yourself. Just get the whole thing replaced.

The last DVR I bought was a 921 and when they obsoleted that on me I said never again. Just rent the damn thing. I suspect the days of +$100 a month for the few channels I watch will be gone and Dish will have to readjust their business model. Times are changing and IPTV will soon make what Dish supplies prohibitively expensive. Look for DirecTV to really change things soon now that they are owned by AT&T. Dish Network is the remaining independent satellite service left and from what I see my most expensive programming time. If money ever gets tight around here, Dish Network will be on the chopping block, replaced with IP channels and OTA, TIVO.

I always figure I could drop to the Welcome pack and spend a year watching what's on EHDs.

Look for DirecTV to really change things soon now that they are owned by AT&T.
Given how paltry AT&T's hardwire footprint is, DIRECTV isn't much better positioned than DISH. As it is, AT&T is busily trying to come up with a receiver that will serve both DBS and terrestrial installations and I would imagine that won't come quickly.

While AT&T has made a mountain of promises about expanding broadband service, much of it is likely to be wireless and that's not going to get it for TV customers.