Quality RG-6 purchasing source recommendations

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm leary of some of the vendors on Amazon or eBay, and I've learned my lesson using non-swept cable with a 1000.2 install for my Hoppers. I'm looking for about 250' of dual RG-6, with ground lead, underground installable, and swept for 3g. Can anyone recommend a good source? Thanks!!

lhfh

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 5, 2008
I recommend Monoprice.com
Stay away from cheep generic CATV coax, designed strictly for economy, with a thin aluminum braid and a copper-coated steel center conductor.
You will pay more for good quality.

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried the Monoprice coax, but what I bought is not rated as swept for 3ghz and the conduit I am using cracked somewhere and is full of water so I need something that can be buried. 100' isn't enough, so looks like I'll be buying a lot of spare cable.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried the Monoprice coax, but what I bought is not rated as swept for 3ghz and the conduit I am using cracked somewhere and is full of water so I need something that can be buried. 100' isn't enough, so looks like I'll be buying a lot of spare cable.
Your conduit may not have cracked if open at both ends and joints are sealed condensation can fill the cold pipe under ground.

Brussam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 30, 2006
I look for solid copper wire. Far more flexible and I am still using the same cables I started with 9 years ago.

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
Beware of the Sometimes ABSURD shipping costs.
You may see a relatively low retail price then go to the shopping cart. The price for shipping can be as mush as 25% of the retail price for the cable itself..

jevans64

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2009
+34.73823n -86.79162w
Lowes sells a 250' reel for around $33. Not sure of the brand of that reel but two major manufacturers of wire in the USA are Southwire and Cerrowire. Romex brand, of course, is made in Mexico.

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
I always buy mine from Home Deepot ;-) I believe they sell it in 500 ft but it's been a while since I bought it. I ran all my own 3 Ghz swept quad shield for a 2 H/3J system only to have the installer complain about the shielding hurting his fingers.

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
Home Depot usually has Belden cable. Excellent quality cable, as with Commscope. Those are the only 2 brands I use and never had any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)