Question about having DirecTV at multiple locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cheapest option, order a H24 and a dish from solid signal but order your LNBF (and BBC converter) from ebay. You'll call DirecTV to activate it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dy-(H24)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=185463000504

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-HD-Programming-(SLSPF)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=
Thanks. I plan on ordering all this tomorrow so hopefully this will be my last question-

What is the LNBF and BBC? I'm a complete novice here. I don't want to order something and then find out the model I orders is not compatible with my dish/receiver.

I'll probably order both of those from Amazon as I'm a prime member and it appears they have similar prices to eBay on both of these.

Basically you need a inline BBC to get HD without SWM, since SWM LNBF's cost more plus you have to buy a power supply for them it is cheaper to buy a non-swm LNBF and a BBC.

I don't know if you have a 3 or 5 lnb, I would get the same as what your primary residence has as I do not know what market you are in and what it requires. A 3 is cheaper if it will provide you with everything you need in your area.

Here is a 3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/301053217900

Here is a 5 http://www.ebay.com/itm/161306247284

Here is the BBC: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331167619314

The lnbf, more commonly called an lnb, is the thing at the end of the arm of the dish that actually receives the signals from the satellites. A bbc goes inline just before the receiver and is used in certain setups like yours in order to allow the hd signals to go from the dish to the receiver.

Dont mean to highjack the thread, but I do want/need to piggyback off the topic. A few years ago, I did this set up for our lake house (purchased a second dish and brought a receiver from home). Everything worked fine until I got tired of unhooking/hooking up the receiver each time and we went without Directv at the lake house the last couple of years and just used an OTA. A couple of weeks ago I brought the receiver from home and plugged everything in, but the it would get a signal.
My question; during the time of not bringing the receiver, I had an upgrade done at home with a new dish installed and the whole home DVR system set up (all I know was that it went from multiple wires running from the dish to the house to just a single wire). Would this effect my ability to now use the old dish i had installed at the lake house? Do i need to replace the dish at the lake house with a newer model?

Thanks in advance!

Not necessarily. At home you have a swm system, that's the one wire from the dish. When you are at the cabin you have to manually return the receiver to a non swm setup through the menu.

Not necessarily. At home you have a swm system, that's the one wire from the dish. When you are at the cabin you have to manually return the receiver to a non swm setup through the menu.
This is not always easy to do once the recvr has been in the SWM mode.

If anyone out there has a Step by Step that works 100% of the time, please post.

True, they can be a PIA to revert to non swm mode. Sometimes you have to reset the box in order to do so.

That means if people have two or more receivers, and have two seperate locations, They can only use 1 of those receivers at the cabin, but others at the main location can't use the remaining ones, Or is that still consider account stacking because of multiple boxes on 2 locations?

It's a fine, and a crooked, line. If receivers are really only being used at one location at a time, it's technically account stacking but not in a real sense.

I think Account Stacking is intended to keep you from giving Friends at other locations recvrs to use, in the sense that its intended.
That is a simplified veiw of it.

I think Account Stacking is intended to keep you from giving Friends at other locations recvrs to use, in the sense that its intended.
That is a simplified veiw of it.
That would be the real sense Jimbo!

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I bought a lake home that already has a dish installed and all the wiring ran. It's about 80 miles from my house and I want to have direct tv down there without having to unhook my receivers every time and take them down to the lake home. We have 2 tv's down at the lake home and want to be able to watch both. We'll never be at my house and the lake house at the same time, It's just me and my young daughter. Do I need to buy another Genie ? Or can I just buy two of the H24 receivers and program them to my Genie at home? I don't need DVR or PPV's. Someone please explain exactly what I need to do step by step. Thanks

:welcome to Satelliteguys LNapper82!

Since you have a Genie at home, and Directv only allows one per account, you can't get another one to use at the cabin. Do you have another receiver at home beside the Genie? You can take that one to the cabin. One word of caution, you have a swm setup at home, and should use one at the camp. It makes moving boxes from one place to another much simpler. That means having a swm lnb and a power inserter at the camp.

All I have is a Genie and 3 Mini Genies. I just talked to a guy at Direct TV and he said I could order regular HD Receivers for $99 and pay $7month for each one. Would I still need the SWM LNB and power inserter at the camp? The previous owners just turned off their service last month and said they didn't have a Genie but had the regular HD Box with no DVR and that's what I want.

You wouldn't need the power inserter or swm lnb, but you would need a b band converter if you don't use the swm setup. They go in line just before the receiver. You really can't get one from Directv since you don't need it on your home setup. They are cheap on eBay. It's possible they had a swm setup, though.

I would verify what dish is actually At the second location before ordering any recvrs.
You can get Recvrs and the BBC's and anything else you need at Solid Signal . com
You will have to authorize them with D* before they will work.
They will have a commitment of some sort depending on what recvrs you end up with .. sounds like H24s is what your looking for.

Like Chip said, only 1 genie per account currently.

You CANNOT use your clients/ minis up there.

thanks for your help guys, There is a dish installed on the roof still. I called DTV and they said I could pay $99 for each H24 from them and then pay $7/month for each receiver. That beats paying $50-$60/month for a separate account.

Last edited:
thanks for your help guys, There is a dish installed on the roof still. I called DTV and they said I could pay $99 for each H24 from them and then pay $7/month for each receiver. That beats paying $50-$60/month for a separate account.
Exactly ... and thats how it should be and is in most instances.

Hey thanks so much for the terrific information on here.

I would like to use DirecTV at my new camp as well, and I'm wondering what to do.

It's already to go as the previous owner had DirecTV.

Should I have DirecTV install it? Or can I simply have them ship me a receiver and just plug it in?

I'll admit this is "stacking" although no one will be watching at either place but me and my people...

Does what DirecTV not know not hurt them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts