Question for the experts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
My elderly neighbours have decided to get rid of cable and get D*. This is where it gets confusing, They want 3 HR24's one on each tv, plain and simple right? Well my neighbours tell me that when they called D* they where told that all they offer now is whole home DVR, and that they absolutely cannot have just 3 seperate HR24's anymore. What D* wants to give them are 2 HR24s and 1 H24 hooked up via whole home. They are really confused and alittle scared of learning how to use this new set up. They even considered cancelling as it took me 6 months of training them how to use there cable DVR. Thats when I called D* and tryed to explain that they would not use whole home DVR and that they would be throwing $3/month away on nothing, and all they want is the same receiver(hr24) on all 3 of there new HDTV's so that they have to learn how to use it on one tv and will be the same on all. D* would not really talk to me about it because I was not with my neighbours when I called and all we really ended up talking about was them telling me how great whole home dvr is and they even tryed to get me to switch to that platform I told the lady that I do not like to share dvr's and in my house every tv will have there own receiver, then she tells me that all new customers have to go with the whole home set up now. Ive never heard of that before. The install is tomorrow morning sometime between 8am-12pm. There is no way I can be there unless the installer is late as I wont get home until 1pm. My questions are these. 1. Can they tell the installer that all they want is 3 HR24s?(probably not) 2. If 1 wont work
can we go and get a third HR24 from the store and add it to the account? I guess I should have went with my neighbours and bought 3 HR24's and had them installed then called D* to have them sign up. That probably would have been the simple way. Then they tell me about an hour ago that they called Dish( as they want sat of some kind)and E* told them that they can have 3 722k's on there tvs and it would be so much simpler, but what E* didnt tell them was there outrageus DVR fee's. They did not book anything with Dish yet as I told them that D* would be a much better fit for them if they can get the set up they want, so we will see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

You do not need MRV (whole home) and can have 3 DVR's if you want. But unless they want specific recorded programs on each DVR whole home might work better.

1. they can try but the workorder may say otherwise. They can always cancel the order
2. yes you can buy a receiver. It still is leased but you get what you want. When I signed up they gave me a R15 (crappy SD DVR). I bought a R22 (much better SD DVR) and sent back the R15 about a month after signing up.

Whole home from what I read isnt really that bad. The receiver can view both DVR's and watch recorded programs from either one or watch whatever they want on the HD receiver. Sometimes I wish I had it (but they wont activate it for me. Even though I have HD the DVR's are R22's which are "special"...they can be activated on a SD or HD account...the HD DVR has to be a HR model. Only way I can get HD on them is adding a HD receiver. So I have a H23 in the bedroom)

WHDS with a CCK is indeed part of the new blood deal.

I just did a setup on the DIRECTV website with three HD DVRs and it showed a predicted $298 "fee" for the second and third HD DVRs.

yep $99 for the 2nd DVR
$199 for the 3rd

If they go the other route its $199 (HD DVR & HD reciever free...2nd DVR 199)

Thanks Iceberg & Harshness for the quick replys. Yes I did explain it to them and they do not want to share a DVR they want one on each tv. They know about the cost to buy one from a store and that its still leased. Now just so im 100% clear, they can buy a HD DVR and add it to the account without any trouble? The csr is not going to say no you cant because you already have mvr? I dont want them to go any pay $199 or whatever it is and have them not be able to use it and have to return it to the store.

Thanks

Last edited:
I agree completely with your neighbors, if I want 3 HR DVR's thats what I want, In my case it would be so I have ample storage space, with the MRV your sharing 1 DVR, in thier case 2 for the whole home. They may or may not need that much space, but it should be thier option, not D*s.

Heres a suggestion, call the local guys in town that sell D*.

Another option, have D* install 2 HD DVRs without the MRV and order another one from a site sponsor, Claude (Dish Store - now handling D* too) or Solid Signal, I've used both and have had great experiences.
Once they get there, hook it up and call D* to activate it. If you order it that way, your sure of what your getting.

For sure Jimbo. My neighbour told me that they want 1 HD DVR in there living room(their main viewing room) 1 in the bedroom and 1 down in the family room for there teenage granddaughter/grandkids who are going to be staying with them for the 3 summer months. That way she can record her teenie bopper shows as he calls it without affecting his or his wifes shows on the other 2 HD DVR's

Well install is done and all my neighbour has to do is go and get another HR24 from the store and add it to the account and he should be fine. Now he has 3 months of Premier for a discounted rate I believe. As he was talking to me about pricing and managed to confuse me on the issue. I havent changed my programming in a long time so I havent had to deal with this issue. Now after the 3 months is over he wants to have Premier + HD locals + HD Access, HD Xtra. By my calculations he will be paying $130/month + what ever D* charges for the HD locals unless he was able to get free HD for life which would save him $10/month on that. When I asked him if he wa able to get free HD for life he said he didnt know, so thats probably a no on that meaning he didnt know to ask. Im just trying to find out what exactly he will be paying per month as he was kinda unsure.

I took a look at my D* bill and thats how I pay mine on autopay via cc and I have HD free for life. Basically all they will be spending on HD is the $5/month Xtra pack and whatever the HD locals are.

Thanks Iceberg & Harshness for the quick replys. Yes I did explain it to them and they do not want to share a DVR they want one on each tv. They know about the cost to buy one from a store and that its still leased. Now just so im 100% clear, they can buy a HD DVR and add it to the account without any trouble? The csr is not going to say no you cant because you already have mvr? I dont want them to go any pay $199 or whatever it is and have them not be able to use it and have to return it to the store.

Thanks

I have a new customer order pending for install on June 10. Here are the charges:

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION

2 DIRECTV Plus(R) HD DVR $398.00

1 DIRECTV(R) HD Receiver $99.00

1 DIRECTV(R) Slimline Dish $0.00

1 Cinema Connection Kit $0.00

1 Instant Rebate -$50.00

1 Instant Rebate -$100.00

1 Instant Rebate -$199.00

Equipment Total $148.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONAL

Installation Fee $0.00
Delivery and Handling Fee $19.95
Tax $0.00
Order Total Paid $167.95

The order is for the Extra Package with whole house.

You hit it right on Dannsh. Im pretty sure it was very close to that amount. Im going with my neighbour this long weekend to pick up another HR24 @$199 and hook it up for him.

Another thing im not quite sure about is the equipment they gave my neighbour. He got 1 H24 and 2 HR22's. The HR22's both are refurbs of course. I did notice that they both are filled with scratches and both e-sata ports look like someone took a screwdriver and jammed it in and out of there a few times. Also I have an HR22 and mine is a nice glossy black while my neighbours are both flat black, not that it matters. Im going with him to get a HR24 this weekend then I will try to attempt a hook up with his already MRV. Just so im clear I will not need the B-Band Converters with this unit right? Or does HR24's even come with any?

Blackloz said:
Another thing im not quite sure about is the equipment they gave my neighbour. He got 1 H24 and 2 HR22's. The HR22's both are refurbs of course. I did notice that they both are filled with scratches and both e-sata ports look like someone took a screwdriver and jammed it in and out of there a few times. Also I have an HR22 and mine is a nice glossy black while my neighbours are both flat black, not that it matters. Im going with him to get a HR24 this weekend then I will try to attempt a hook up with his already MRV. Just so im clear I will not need the B-Band Converters with this unit right? Or does HR24's even come with any?

I don't rememberf your neighbors set up but, if your using a SWM set up, no BBCs required.
If your using a HR23, no BBCs required.
All others need them.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Ok thanks. He has SWM and I don't, so he said if the HR24 comes with any in box that I can have them for spares.

downgraded from premeire to total choice last month and lost free hd for life

You mean Choice or Choice + ?

You can't downgrade to Total Choice (+) anymore, obsolete to anyone other than those that are grandfathered.

are you still doing the autopay ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts