Question regarding stationary Camper setup.

Gview

Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
USA
I camp every weekend. I own a permanent site at a campground 80 miles away and have DirecTv at home.

How can I cheaply get DirecTv at the camper.

I have a guy that would install the dish and connect the receiver. However he told me it has to be a HR24 and I have read where DirecTv stopped activating those (those post were made back in 2022 so I’m not sure).

I don’t mind spending money, but it has work. Tired of missing sports while camping.

I thought I could just buy HR24 and get it activated, but sounds like that could be an issue now.

If you have reliable internet, you can use the app, firestick, TV, etc and stream. You can record on the DVR at home or schedule using the app. Then watch live or recorded. It worked for me even during the NFL season.

Reactions: dfergie
If you have reliable internet, you can use the app, firestick, TV, etc and stream. You can record on the DVR at home or schedule using the app. Then watch live or recorded. It worked for me even during the NFL season.
Only internet is via cell service and it sucks at best. I can't stream very well and haven't been able to watch a football game in 4 years.

Call Solid Signal at 888-233-7563 and they can get you an older receiver like that and activate it.
My concern with Solid Signal is that they have a bunch of bad reviews. Like equipment never shipping and still they are billing customer credit card.

Is there another company that sells the older ones and can get it activated?

My concern with Solid Signal is that they have a bunch of bad reviews. Like equipment never shipping and still they are billing customer credit card.

Is there another company that sells the older ones and can get it activated?
Solid Signal has more DIRECTV activations than any other dealer. As for bad reviews, they do happen- and they aren’t always what they seem.

I personally have used Solid Signal multiple times, always had prompt deliveries ....
I have always done my own installs.

I recommend them ...

You ever notice how, Every company has Bad reviews, many more than Positive ones ...
Thats because the only people that write reviews are those that had issues.

99% of those with Great experiences, Don't write a review, they got the service they expected.

I personally have used Solid Signal multiple times, always had prompt deliveries ....

I recommend them ...

You ever notice how, Every company has Bad reviews, many more than Positive ones ...

99% of those with Great experiences, Don't write a review, they got the service they expected.
Same here.

I recommend them ...

I’ve referred them to customers so many times, I should get a free hat

Thanks guys.

Talked to Solid Signal, evidentially I’m screwed when getting Directv at the camper. Because I recently got Directv I have a Genie system at home. Short of paying for another service. I don’t mind spending money, I’m not paying another $100. So no tv for me.

Thanks guys.

Talked to Solid Signal, evidentially I’m screwed when getting Directv at the camper. Because I recently got Directv I have a Genie system at home. Short of paying for another service. I don’t mind spending money, I’m not paying another $100. So no tv for me.
You must have an HS17 Genie.

More than that:
HR24 is older than HR54
Which means HR24 will STILL have the old 2011 on-screen UI, whereas the HR44, HR54, newer models etc won't
HR24 also can only work standalone. It does not provide TV to "client" boxes like the HR54, etc. do

ANd yes, storage space is of course a difference. Searching tells me the HR54 is a 1TB drive while I BELIEVE the HR24 is only a 500GB drive

More than that:
HR24 is older than HR54
Which means HR24 will STILL have the old 2011 on-screen UI, whereas the HR44, HR54, newer models etc won't
HR24 also can only work standalone. It does not provide TV to "client" boxes like the HR54, etc. do

ANd yes, storage space is of course a difference. Searching tells me the HR54 is a 1TB drive while I BELIEVE the HR24 is only a 500GB drive
Agreed that that suggestion is an OLDER one, but at the moment, its the only way to accomplish what he's wanting seeing they quite caring about coming out with newer recvrs (and Sats for that matter) Years ago.

I STILL have HR24's running for that very reason.

So here's what I got from Solid Signal...

Commercial Acct for camper.
HR24 (I asked about the HR54 and he stated that they are difficult to activated and that they don't recommend them).
Extra Package for sports that I watch.

All in total = $Expensive as F***! But looks like it is going to happen anyway.

Why not just get a Starlink terminal and stream to your campsite? This way you can do more than just watch tv. You said your cell signal is crap, so that would solve two problems at once?

So here's what I got from Solid Signal...

Commercial Acct for camper.
HR24 (I asked about the HR54 and he stated that they are difficult to activated and that they don't recommend them).
Extra Package for sports that I watch.

All in total = $Expensive as F***! But looks like it is going to happen anyway.
You DID say, Money wasn't an object.

Reactions: Gview