Questions about the different D* sats and HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cheebs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2005
WEll, I've been trying to make head or tail of this, but only have managed to confuse myself more LOL.

So, the argument from D* is that they have no satellite capacity to carry any more MPEG2 HD channels.

What I can't undestand is why they don't use the apparently very large capacity that sits unused on the 110 satellite. At the moment, only 3 transponders from that bird are in use. Now, I was under the impression that D* had moved the malfunctioning DTV6 satellite out of the 110 slot, and replaced it with the properly working DTV5 that was at 119. DTV 5 was replaced at 119 with the massively-capable DTV7S with its array of spot and national beams.

Para Todos, which used to be on 110, was moved to 119. AS I said before, only 3 xponders on 110 remain active.

From Loral, who built the DTV5 sat:

The satellite carries 32 Ku-band transponders operating at 113 W per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at 220 W per channel.

So, can anyone tell me why there are so many unused transponders on 110, and why D* isn't using them to increase their HD offering? Did I miss something?

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
As I have read it, they need to have licencing to transmit from each, if you don't, or someone else has it, then too bad so to speak.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
cheebs said:
WEll, I've been trying to make head or tail of this, but only have managed to confuse myself more LOL.

So, the argument from D* is that they have no satellite capacity to carry any more MPEG2 HD channels.

What I can't undestand is why they don't use the apparently very large capacity that sits unused on the 110 satellite. At the moment, only 3 transponders from that bird are in use. Now, I was under the impression that D* had moved the malfunctioning DTV6 satellite out of the 110 slot, and replaced it with the properly working DTV5 that was at 119. DTV 5 was replaced at 119 with the massively-capable DTV7S with its array of spot and national beams.

Para Todos, which used to be on 110, was moved to 119. AS I said before, only 3 xponders on 110 remain active.

From Loral, who built the DTV5 sat:

The satellite carries 32 Ku-band transponders operating at 113 W per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at 220 W per channel.

directv only has the authority to use 3 tsp at the 110 slot.

paratodos was always at 119 (spanish anyway)

what programming do you want provided? just out of morbid curiosity??:confused:

cheebs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2005
dragon002 said:
directv only has the authority to use 3 tsp at the 110 slot.

paratodos was always at 119 (spanish anyway)

what programming do you want provided? just out of morbid curiosity??:confused:

See, that was the answer I was looking for... just a licensing thing. Sucks they don't own more tsp licenses on that slot.

I can think of National Geo HD, Starz HD, TNT HD (moot point now that it's being added) and whatever else is out there that D* can get their hands on.

My mistake abt Para Todos, dunno why I thought it was originally on the 110.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
AFAIK, there's only a total of 32 transponder frequencies that fit in the KU band for DBS. As you know D* has 3 of them and our friends over at E* have the other 29. Similar situation at 119, D* has 11 and E* has 21.

pampaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 9, 2005
Imagine if direct and echo merged a year or two ago, tons of duplicated channels could have been dumped and more HD made available.
should have could have would have:rolleyes:

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
pampaul said:
Imagine if direct and echo merged a year or two ago, tons of duplicated channels could have been dumped and more HD made available.
should have could have would have:rolleyes:

that will NEVER happen, thank God

pampaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 9, 2005
hmmm, I think it would have delt the cable companies a big blow. I wonder if the fcc is in bed with cable companies? It seems the cable companies always come out smelling like roses. Direct and echo need to budget more lobby money.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts