Questions on Wiring a Voom+DTV+OTA System

angusdavis

Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Hello,
I am moving to a new home and want to keep my current DirecTV service, receive OTA ATSC, and get Voom. I am not an expert at multiplexers, diplexers, 5x8s, etc., but I think I understand the basic concepts. Since this is a retrofit installation, my main concern is reducing the number of wires.

I think I end up with three pieces of hardware on the roof:
1. Big new Voom dish, capable of receiving AMC-6 satellite come October;
2. Whatever DirecTV dish is required to get me all the LNBs I can possibly ever need (I believe the largest is a 3-LNB system?)
3. OTA antenna for UHF DTV and FM, probably the ChannnelMaster Stealth 3010 or a similar product from Terk (I am less than 15 miles from all three networks)

HOW TO WIRE FROM THE ROOF?
I need to get the signals from all these LNBs and anntanae into my central wiring closet somehow. That is the first problem and my question is -- how will this work? Is there a way to do it such that I can get everything from the roof to the closet using just two RG6 cables, or will I need more cables? I also want the option of amplifying the OTA antenna, so I will need compatible multiswitches, or the option of putting an amp in the attic closer to the antenna than the wiring closet. I suppose the cleanest solution would be one that allowed me to amplify and distribute the OTA antenna feed before it was diplexed into the two DBS head-end feeds.?

HOW TO DISTRIBUTE FROM THE CLOSET?
Once I have the roof source signals into the wiring closet, I want to distribute to the following set-top boxes: 2 Voom set-tops, with integrated OTA/ATSC; 3 HiDef DTV set-tops, also with integrated OTA/ATSC. Let's assume one of the DTV set-tops is the HD-TiVo unit (once they fix their HDMI problems), which allows dual-DBS and dual-OTA inputs thanks to its four integrated tuners. That means a total of 4 DTV tuners, 2 Voom tuners and 5 OTA/ATSC tuners, with the option of expanding the number of Voom tuners from 2 to 3 when their PVR solution comes out.

I would greatly appreciate advice on any/all of the above... Also, I am not shy about spending some money to keep the quality of the signals up, so please share your thoughts on issues such as preferred suppliers and models of multiswitches, distribution amps, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)