R15 question - switching between tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joecool1964

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Forgive me if this question has been covered in another thread, but I haven't been able to find it. Has anybody determined how to switch manually between the 2 tuners, like when you hit the 'live tv' button on a Tivo unit? Thanks!

joecool1964 said:
Forgive me if this question has been covered in another thread, but I haven't been able to find it. Has anybody determined how to switch manually between the 2 tuners, like when you hit the 'live tv' button on a Tivo unit? Thanks!

The only thing I cn think of is if you are actually recording a something, then you can hit the list button and whatever your recording should be the first listed ite on the list... it does not start the program at a "live" time but you can hit the "end" button to bring you to the live part of the recording. I never found any use to go between the two tuners. I figure if I want to change the channel what does it matter what tuner I am on? And if I am recording something and watching something else and I want to go back to the program I am recording during a commercial, I can just hit the prev channel button.

Here's a good example

It's basketball season and your favorite two teams are playing. You pause the game on tuner 1 and switch to tuner 2. When tuner 2 gets to a commercial, you hit pause and switch to tuner 1. There you unpause it and watch the game until commercial, pausing it and switching over. Then you fast forward through the commercial and any slow parts, repeating the process as needed. You can watch the most important parts of both games nearly real-time. It's amazing how much time during a basketball or football broadcast is spent without the ball hitting the court.

Quite honestly, this feature is ten times more important than 30-second skip to a lot of people. I know how to operate a fast-forward without it being tied to some specific amount of time.

agregjones said:
It's basketball season and your favorite two teams are playing. You pause the game on tuner 1 and switch to tuner 2. When tuner 2 gets to a commercial, you hit pause and switch to tuner 1. There you unpause it and watch the game until commercial, pausing it and switching over. Then you fast forward through the commercial and any slow parts, repeating the process as needed. You can watch the most important parts of both games nearly real-time. It's amazing how much time during a basketball or football broadcast is spent without the ball hitting the court.

Quite honestly, this feature is ten times more important than 30-second skip to a lot of people. I know how to operate a fast-forward without it being tied to some specific amount of time.

Ok...perhaps I didn't explain myself properly in my original message :no again, I apologize. In this example, say I don't want to pause the game - say I want to record it, and watch it next Tuesday. How do I 'switch to tuner 2' to watch something different? There's no button, per se, on this new remote which will permit me to do so. Thanks again...

agregjones said:
But are there two live buffers?

From what I understand - not yet. Buffering apparently only takes place on the channel
you're actively watching. Supposedly this will be one of the first things
DirecTV 'fixes'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)