[Rant] Another purchased receiver showing as leased

tstolze

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
O'fallon, MO
So I purchased a VIP722 in November 2007 because I had not been with Dish long enough, 8 months, to have another VIP leased on my account. I had a 922 installed yesterday and the technician wanted to take my 722 as it was listed as a leased receiver. I told him it was purchased and he suggested I call today to get this fixed.

So I chatted and they said it was leased and gave me a # for the executive department. The CSR at executive says the receiver shows leased since August of last year, although it has been on the account since November 14, 2007. I asked for proof that I had leased and they can not provide it, but won't change it to purchased. She has asked for a receipt to be faxed, I have the transaction details from Paypal but it doesn't list the RO#. She said she is not sure if that will work or not, but fax it in, if they will not accept it I will have to return the receiver....:confused:

I am pissed! I have asked for proof of lease which she is unable to provide, but I have to show proof.

I am going to fax what I have, if they don't accept it I assured her my attorney will be handed all documentation.

Sorry for the rant guys, this just shows how screwed up some companies are at certain levels.

I would make them explain the descrepancy between the date the receiver was put on the account and the date that shows it was leased. Doesn't make sense that a receiver would move from owned to leased for any reason...

I would make them explain the descrepancy between the date the receiver was put on the account and the date that shows it was leased. Doesn't make sense that a receiver would move from owned to leased for any reason...

I pointed that out to her, I tried from every angle, even telling her she knew that Dish had screwed up. She just kept repeating, "fax us proof of purchase and we will see if we can get this worked out."

Sounds like a complaint to the BBB and your state AG office might be required if they insist on the "lease" classification. They do this to subs all the time. It is seriously screwed up and should be embarrassing to the company. The CSRs are either too dumb to see which end is up or don't have the authority to fix what they know is screwed up. I'd like to say E* is managed like a high school club but that would be insulting to high school clubs all over.

Ask her for a copy of paperwork that you leased this receiver. If she can't provide that then they really dont have a case.

I would contact ceo@echostar.com asap.

I faxed what I had showing payment for a VIP722 on November 7, 2007, it was activated November 14, 2007.

I requested the paperwork for me leasing the receiver, she stated that she is unable to provide it. I then requested she make the change and I was denied. :D

This supposedly was the Executive department, I should hear back from her early next week. If I am not happy at that time I will send an email to the listed address. Thanks!

Today

I faxed what I had showing payment for a VIP722 on November 7, 2007, it was activated November 14, 2007.

I requested the paperwork for me leasing the receiver, she stated that she is unable to provide it. I then requested she make the change and I was denied. :D

This supposedly was the Executive department, I should hear back from her early next week. If I am not happy at that time I will send an email to the listed address. Thanks!

Don't wait for her to get back to you. Go ahead and send all info to the ceo dept. It's called keeping the pressure on otherwise I think there will be nothing done. You've given her proof that you purchased a 722 & she can't give you proof that you leased.

Last edited:
Don't wait for her to get back to you. Go ahead and send all info to the ceo dept. It's called keeping the pressure on otherwise I think there will be nothing done. You've given her proof that you purchased a 722 & she can't give you proof that you leased.

I agree. Shoot them an email and let them know she couldn't guarantee your paperwork would even help.

Dishnetwork is not the only company that does this. In 2007 I had the same problem with directv. So I left em with in 24hrs from them messing with me. Took me about 10months to get it fixed.

Sounds like greedy Dish Network trying to collect as many receivers as they possibly can to reuse them. Directv considers all of their receivers leased if I understand it correctly even if you "purchase" them.

Drag them into small claims court. They won't show up, you get a judgement and then they can work on getting the monkey off their back.

Wonder if there are any hungry lawyers who frequent this forum that might want to do a class action on this? Seems as if this is regular practice of Dish and it needs to be stopped. Maybe several million in attorney fees would get their attention.

How much did you pay for it? if it was $400+ then you bought it. If it was $200/100 then you only actually paid a lease upgrade fee, kind of like getting fancy wheels on a lease car you still don't own them. If you got it through a retailer then they will have the records. Good luck

How much did you pay for it? if it was $400+ then you bought it. If it was $200/100 then you only actually paid a lease upgrade fee, kind of like getting fancy wheels on a lease car you still don't own them. If you got it through a retailer then they will have the records. Good luck

The OP stated he bought it off Ebay, and Dish recognized at as owned for about 2 years then they changed it. It doesn't make any difference what he paid for it if he bought it from a source other than dish.

ROss

Yeah, same thing happened to me, except it was with 2 622's that I bought on EBay 4 years ago for over $1,000.00. Talk about pi--ed. and nothing I can do about it, because I have no paper work now after 4 years. Strange that they were on my account as owned for over 3 years with no problem until Dish decided that they would steel them from me.

I sent the fax Friday morning, her claim is that it will take 24-48 hours to receive the fax....:confused:

After she gets it, she forwards it to the "executive team". Her words were, "they are the only ones that can make this sort of change". So I asked her if they were the ones who screwed it up last year? :D That didn't go over so well....:eek:

I will update when I receive the call, hopefully it's in my favor. If not Dish better be ready for a fight! :)

I hope it goes in your favor, but if it doesn't, and you want to pursue legal action, perhaps we can come up with enough people here on this forum to interest a lawyer in a class action suite.

This company needs to be taught a lesson not to try to steel peoples equipment, this is just plain WRONG. Class actions can be very costly to those in the wrong and they usually end up settling instead of fighting.

One week since the fax was sent with no change to my account as I can view it online and no return call from Dish.

Sent email to account suggested with all relevant information as well as information from my contact last week.

The good new is that I have yet to receive a UPS box for my receiver yet. :p

For a viable class action you'd probably need at least 25-30 plaintiffs aside from the primary named plaintiffs to even try to get certified as a class. There would be other requirements too. But, it might be possible to entice an attorney to move on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)