Real Westerns

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unforgiven was well done in my book, I also thought Seraphim Falls was pretty good.

Unforgiven was the last good western I remember. With, of course, Clint Eastwood.

However for that "Western Vibe" in future "Wild Space" genre I suggest you check out the short lived "Firefly" TV show (especially Train Job)and its movie Serenity.

I grew up watching Hopalong Cassidy and Gene Autry reruns in the 70's, although being a 7 or 8 year old, I didn't know they were reruns. The first movie I can remember seeing at the theater was True Grit with my parents at a Drive In while visiting my grandparents. Stars Wars was the first movie I remember seeing indoors at a theater.
It would be hard to pick a favorite John Wayne movie maybe McLintock, Big Jake or The Sons of Katie Elder (OK I have lots of favorites). John Wayne westerns and Star Wars are the only HD movies protected on my DVR.

I have a large collection of Hoppy , Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and The Durango Kid movies on dvds that I recorded off of Encore Westerns for my mom and now my 9 year old nephew is a big Durango Kid and Hoppy fan. He watches those dvds with her every time she visits.

Hey, don't forget the Lone Ranger and Tonto. It was easier to know who the good guys were and they didn't spend a lot of time worrying about being politically correct back then, did they?
ss
Believe it or not, I actually listened to the Lone Ranger on the radio before we had a tv. Whoops, I'm revealing my age here. Well at least I'm still young at heart. You didn't even have to think about being politically correct back then in everyday life or while watching a western.:)

Believe it or not, I actually listened to the Lone Ranger on the radio before we had a tv. Whoops, I'm revealing my age here. Well at least I'm still young at heart. You didn't even have to think about being politically correct back then in everyday life or while watching a western.:)

Squid,

I still listen to the Lone Ranger on the radio! One of our local am stations replay old time radio shows around noon or 1 in the afternoon. I get a real kick out of it, it's a special treat! They also play the old (radio) episodes of the the Green Hornet, Perry Mason, Sky King, Jack Benny, Amos and Andy and "The Bickersons" with Don Amece and Francis Langford. "The Bickersons" is my favorite!

You younger folks might remember Don Amece from the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd (Don Amece played one of the two old men that tried to screw up the lives of the characters played by Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy on a bet). Don Amece was also in the movie "Cocoon". Lots of others too, but you might recall these best.

RADAR

AcWxRADAR

Any chance the radio station is being fed by any of the radio feeds that our receivers pickup on blind scans?
I personally have never checked what they are, but I probably have 1-200 listed on the scans

Bama1

Lazy writers that would rather remake an old movie/TV show or comic book
+Expensive sets, locations, wardrobe
+Actors more concerned with twitter and tabloids than their craft
+ The PC police
=Death of the classic western

Squid,

I still listen to the Lone Ranger on the radio! One of our local am stations replay old time radio shows around noon or 1 in the afternoon. I get a real kick out of it, it's a special treat! They also play the old (radio) episodes of the the Green Hornet, Perry Mason, Sky King, Jack Benny, Amos and Andy and "The Bickersons" with Don Amece and Francis Langford. "The Bickersons" is my favorite!

You younger folks might remember Don Amece from the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd (Don Amece played one of the two old men that tried to screw up the lives of the characters played by Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy on a bet). Don Amece was also in the movie "Cocoon". Lots of others too, but you might recall these best.

RADAR
AcWxRadar,
Yes, I sure wish I could get some of the oldies on the radio. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember listening to Jack Benny and Rochester, Sky King(which was one of my favorite tv episodes as well), Perry Mason, Amos and Andy and The Grand Ole Opry on an old battery radio. I was just a little kid in the early fifties, but I remember them well. I was raised in the Tennessee hills which was about 30 years or so behind the rest of the country. We didn't even have electricity till about 1954. I could associate myself with those early westerns because the actors talked like the folks around here did back then(howdy pardner). I just thought the actors were everyday people. When I grew up and went in the service I found out that wasn't the case. Anyway, I really enjoyed the early western shows and movies. Randolph Scott was my favorite western actor. I remember when the movie Davy Crockett first came to our local theater. You could get in free if you brought a label from a can of Luck's beans. Some of the kids at the theater were wearing coon skin hats. I remember the theme song, "Davy Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier-born on a mountain top in Tennessee-killed him a bar(bear) when he was only three"- repeat chorus. Well, I am glad that there are some folks who still like the westerns.:)

I just saw Doc West with Terence Hill aka Just Call Me Trinity.

It was identical to the movies he did in the late 60s early 70s. Same simple plot and predictable characters, Just as campy. Except he used his real Italian accented voice.

The James Garner Mel & Gibson Maverick remake westerns are quite good. I think before Burt Reynolds gets too old he should make another western. Maybe his back is too screwed up to ride. The raping and whip scenes in a couple of Clint Eastwood movies were way intense.

Gran Torino
is a modern "old western" when you think about it.

I don't know...Dances with Wolves, pretty good. Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp, pretty good too. (Val Kilmer Doc Holiday not so good) Young Guns. hmmmm?

Well there wasn't a lot of violence in Broke Back Mountain:rolleyes:

A good fairly modern western is The Quick and the Dead. Haven't seen Tombstone yet, nor Appaloosa. Some of the newer ones are a bit too PC for my tastes :rolleyes: ...

If you want to listen to old radio check, out Archives.org. I download the shows and put them on a flash drive to listen in the car. Never listen to regular radio anymore. They have Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Six Shooter and many more. Gunsmoke is arguably the best radio series ever. Very good company riding down the road.

AcWxRADAR

Any chance the radio station is being fed by any of the radio feeds that our receivers pickup on blind scans?
I personally have never checked what they are, but I probably have 1-200 listed on the scans

Bama1

Bama,

No, these radio programs that I am listening to are not off a satellite feed of any kind. They are from CD's that are distributed throughout the affiliated radio networks. They are entitled "When Radio Was" and hosted by Stan Freberg.

Somehow, I ended up with about 400 to 600 of these discs from the older shows. I listen to a few of them from time to time, but with so many, I am a bit overwhelmed. Someday I will sit down and really try to go through them all (they are not labeled as to their content), they only have labels as to their original broadcast date, so I cannot tell what shows are on them unless I play them.

RADAR

I grew up watching Hopalong Cassidy and Gene Autry reruns in the 70's, although being a 7 or 8 year old, I didn't know they were reruns. The first movie I can remember seeing at the theater was True Grit with my parents at a Drive In while visiting my grandparents. Stars Wars was the first movie I remember seeing indoors at a theater.
It would be hard to pick a favorite John Wayne movie maybe McLintock, Big Jake or The Sons of Katie Elder (OK I have lots of favorites). John Wayne westerns and Star Wars are the only HD movies protected on my DVR.

I have a large collection of Hoppy , Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and The Durango Kid movies on dvds that I recorded off of Encore Westerns for my mom and now my 9 year old nephew is a big Durango Kid and Hoppy fan. He watches those dvds with her every time she visits.

OSU,

I cann cite my favorite John Wayne movies pretty easily...

NOT IN ANY ORDER (and not all are WESTERNS):

The Sea Chase
Eldorado
Rio Bravo
True Grit
The Shootist
War Wagon
The Cowboys
Undefeated
Donovan's Reef
Hatari
Jet Pilot
McClintock
North to Alaska
Rio Lobo
Rooster Cogburn
Sons of Katie Elder
The Green Berets

And many more!

RADAR

EDIT: (A post script note here).... I got drunk for the first time when I was a YOUNG teenager while watching a John Wayne trilogy movie marathon on our local TV station... I can remember the COWBOYS and HATARI really well, but the third movie is lost! Ha Ha! Oh was I in bad shape! Now, today, I still like to say "HATARI" when I get lit up as, I guess, the word means "DANGER" in the Swahili language. So, if you party with me sometime in the future and I start running around shouting "HATARI, HATARI"! You can bet that I just had my fair share of whiskey for the night! :)

Last edited:
AcWxRadar,
Yes, I sure wish I could get some of the oldies on the radio. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember listening to Jack Benny and Rochester, Sky King(which was one of my favorite tv episodes as well), Perry Mason, Amos and Andy and The Grand Ole Opry on an old battery radio. I was just a little kid in the early fifties, but I remember them well. I was raised in the Tennessee hills which was about 30 years or so behind the rest of the country. We didn't even have electricity till about 1954. I could associate myself with those early westerns because the actors talked like the folks around here did back then(howdy pardner). I just thought the actors were everyday people. When I grew up and went in the service I found out that wasn't the case. Anyway, I really enjoyed the early western shows and movies. Randolph Scott was my favorite western actor. I remember when the movie Davy Crockett first came to our local theater. You could get in free if you brought a label from a can of Luck's beans. Some of the kids at the theater were wearing coon skin hats. I remember the theme song, "Davy Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier-born on a mountain top in Tennessee-killed him a bar(bear) when he was only three"- repeat chorus. Well, I am glad that there are some folks who still like the westerns.:)

SQUID,

We still have the old 78 LP of the theme song from Davy Crocket! I always loved playing that as a kid! I still like the song today, even scratchy as it is, it makes it seem even better to me! :)

From my experience growing up, we didn't say "Howdy pardner" too often, but we certainly did say "Howdy" and I still do, often! More often than I use "Hello" or "Hi". It just flows better and seems more human and personable to me.

Outside of Westerns on the radio, my favoite all time radio show was "The Bickersons"! That was a truly funny show for me, I can laugh over and over again (and laugh hard) at the same episodes that I have heard over and over again!

RADAR

You guys may want to check out mystery shows dot com. They allow free downloads on an open page and if you contribute as little as $10 you get into the members area. There are literally hundreds of FREE shows you can listen too on their home page without joining anything. They claim to have over 40,000 HOURS (not a misprint) of old radio shows. I started out listening to Lone Ranger (memories of my childhood sitting at my Grand Mothers kitchen table and listening to the radio in the late 40's and early 50's before our family moved to California).

I had a lifetime membership to XM and they broadcast(ed?) old time radio on one of their dedicated channels. Lost the receiver, long story, but discovered Mysteryshows in a search and went out and bought an MP3 player JUST so I could listen to these shows while I drive. And since most of my driving now is an hour and a half to two hours each way daily, the MP3 player is something nice to have.

I was listening to an old Hollywood Barn Dance program from this site, and they introduced a "Ken Curtis" who sang a great old cowboy song. Phottoette and I started talking about that and that was when she told me that Ken Curtis started out as a big band singer. Well, gee whiz, knock me over with a feather, I didn't know that, but I DO NOW.

@squid385 ... PM me and maybe I can help you out with some listening pleasure.

Photto

I don't think John Wayne liked Clint Eastwood's movies. Wayne viewed things in stark good and bad. Eastwood's movies where more blended with the bad good guy.

Enjoy watching the remastered Westerns on HDnet/mv channel, like Rio Bravo.

Another Duvall mini-series was good: Broken Trail
And a tv series that was short-lived: The Lazarus Man

I don't think John Wayne liked Clint Eastwood's movies. Wayne viewed things in stark good and bad. Eastwood's movies where more blended with the bad good guy.

Enjoy watching the remastered Westerns on HDnet/mv channel, like Rio Bravo.

Another Duvall mini-series was good: Broken Trail
And a tv series that was short-lived: The Lazarus Man

I have talked to his son Kyle about this. Kyle was at Universal years ago for the Hawaiian Tropic event. Wayne did write Eastwood after High Plains Drifter and told him the west wasn't like that. In fact, Wayne was correct. But , I believe Eastwood did Westerns in a more fictional twist to them. Eastwood had respect for John Wayne but wanted to do a Western in a different way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts