Received email from Netflix about household sharing

You seem to be correct-

Netflix’s NFLX 2.40%increase; green up pointing triangle long-awaited crackdown on password sharing in the U.S. delivered a windfall of new subscribers in its earliest days, according to new data from streaming analytics company Antenna

Shares of Netflix have risen about 13% since the password-sharing crackdown went into effect on May 23.

Oops..didn't see you already posted this.

Not surprising at all. Consternation be damned, if you provide a quality service people will pay for it, within reason. Those looking for a reason to drop it to begin with found the opportunity for martyrdom.

Many of those people will be back, once the value proposition exceeds the prior disappointment.

Not surprising at all. Consternation be damned, if you provide a quality service people will pay for it, within reason. Those looking for a reason to drop it to begin with found the opportunity for martyrdom.

Many of those people will be back, once the value proposition exceeds the prior disappointment.
With the writer’s strike and Netflix shows filming so far ahead ( for example, The Witcher Season 3 is premiering this month, they are already filming Season 4 and 5 right now, all scripts written) it will soon be one of the few services that has new material.

Broadcast Networks will have nothing but Reality and Game Shows this Fall.

People get weird with streaming, like they did with MP3s back in the day of sharing MP3s. They obtain an odd sense of entitlement to electronic distribution rights after they pay $5 to $20 a month (or if they aren't paying at all).

Reactions: mackie99
I decided, yes after 3 weeks, that it was worth it for me at $6.99 with ads. But if they get rid of that tier and it starts costing me $15-$20, I'll only subscribe when there's a new series I want to watch, then cancel.

I decided, yes after 3 weeks, that it was worth it for me at $6.99 with ads. But if they get rid of that tier and it starts costing me $15-$20, I'll only subscribe when there's a new series I want to watch, then cancel.
No mention anywhere as to how much money they are MAKING from ADDING ADS ...
Netflix was a pretty good service back in the day when they had No Ads ... then Ads started coming to all services, and Netflix said to itself, hey, wait a minute, we don't need to stay Ad free, we can Steal more money from subs, lets do that ....

Instead of them STAYING Ad free and see what Others go with them, they caved and now we ALL have to deal with Ads.
Or pay another $10 a Month for the right to Not have Ads.

No mention anywhere as to how much money they are MAKING from ADDING ADS ...
That will be in the 2nd Quarter Report.
Netflix was a pretty good service back in the day when they had No Ads ... then Ads started coming to all services, and Netflix said to itself, hey, wait a minute, we don't need to stay Ad free, we can Steal more money from subs, lets do that ....
How are they stealing money, all they did was add a tier with ads, the other tiers (packages) are
the same price before they added the with ads option.

Netflix is still one of the best services, all that new content, the vast majority of it in 4K.

Even now, since I have less time since I returned to work, if Netflix was the only service I subscribe to, it would still take me about 2 years to get caught up on shows/movies I want to watch that are on there.

Just today, they added season 3 of the Witcher.
Instead of them STAYING Ad free and see what Others go with them, they caved and now we ALL have to deal with Ads.
Or pay another $10 a Month for the right to Not have Ads.
Again, that is your choice, even DirecTV charges extra ( Advanced Receiver Fee) for their DVR so you can avoid ads.

For all the streaming services I sub to, all are ad free, it is worth it to me to pay more, if a service only offers a ad version, I will not subscribe to it.

Reactions: djont57
That's what I really like about my Tivo and DISH service. I can skip through the ads, haven't watched a commercial in years. Do the streaming services allow you to skip through commercials 30 seconds at a time?

That's what I really like about my Tivo and DISH service. I can skip through the ads, haven't watched a commercial in years. Do the streaming services allow you to skip through commercials 30 seconds at a time?
And you pay extra in one form or another for that option.

The Live TV Services ( YouTube TV for example)all allow you to skip ads with their DVRs, at no extra charge.

If you mean the streaming services like Netflix, if you pay less for the with ads version, I assume they would be forced.

Uh, no I don't. Unless you say it's built into the cost of the service. In that case, I could say it's built into the cost of the service for YouTube TV also.
Never said it was not, just wrote it was not a extra charge.

Tivo has different price tiers, one if you buy a unit with service ( more money at first) or with the monthly charge ( unit is less, but depending on how long you use it, can add up to even more over it’s lifetime).

We all know the Hopper 3 ( for the DVR features) has a monthly charge from people posting so here at this site.

Never said it was not, just wrote it was not a extra charge.
I pay no extra charge for DVR service. Zero.

I bought a Tivo receiver four years ago for $75 which included lifetime guide service. No extra charge for DVR. I have a Wally on DISH which I pay no receiver or DVR fee for. I did pay $40 for DVR service about ten years ago when I had a VIP211K, so I guess technically you can say I pay for commercial skipping, $4 a year and falling.

Don't know where the Hopper 3 entered the discussion, I've never owned one. You did say "you pay extra", and I say "No, I don't". Can't speak for others.

I think you just like to argue. :)