Receiver Issue -

bobbyb

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Ontario
Hi
My 1st post, and unfortunately I have a problem to bring to the Forum.
At the Dish - I have a dual LNB's - each feeding a separate SW21
Both lines were brought into the house to feed 2 separate room receivers.
Each receiver has worked fine for almost a year.
This morning, I turned on 1 TV and I received error message 020 - smartcard not compatible with this receiver. The 2nd TV was fine.
I tried booting the faulty receiver - then ran check switch - several times to no avail. I also disconnected the sat in cable and ran check switch - then re-connected and re ran it again. Same problem - error 020 (which I learned thru reading the threads on this site).
Is it the receiver?
Another question: When I checked the 2nd set and it was okay - I left it on while I went into the living room to check the problem receiver. When I disconnected the satellite in cable, it also put the 2nd receiver into "searching for signal" mode. Same issue when I pulled the plug on the non working receiver.

Did I do something wrong or is this how it works - disconnect one and it disconnects the other?

Thanks for taking the time,
bobby

Did I do something wrong or is this how it works - disconnect one and it disconnects the other?

No, that's not what should happen. What receivers are these? If legacy, Dish may replace them for free.

Getting even for the home in ONTARIO it has got to be getting cold up there? A sw21 suggests an old Legacy system what receivers and dish are you using?

Last edited:
Hi everone,
Thanks Don for getting me squared away.
The receivers are both DP311's Sat's 110 and 119
The switches are SW21's
From each switch, I ran the cable to each receiver.
Check switch several times - Sat verified.
What blew me away was when I pulled the plug on the receiver giving me the error message - the Kid's receiver went into "looking for Sat Signal"

If this is a dish 500, I'd throw out the legacy duals and SW21's and replace them with a DP twin. Your receivers will be happy if you do.

Pull the card out, wipe the contacts, and re-insert. It sounds to me like the receiver is reading the old internal chip in the receiver instead of the smart card.

Thank you everyone that replied. I'm going to start with the card and yes I will replace the duals for sure.
Any idea why when I pull the plug on the living room receiver, it sends the kid's tv into a "search for Sat Signal Mode".
bobby

Thank you everyone that replied. I'm going to start with the card and yes I will replace the duals for sure.
Any idea why when I pull the plug on the living room receiver, it sends the kid's tv into a "search for Sat Signal Mode".
bobby
Because instead of each receiver powering the system the living room is the only one providing 12 or 18 volts to the LNBs.

Waited for daylight to look at the install (I did not do it, but I'm learning fast).
The installer put 2 LNB's one for 110 and one for 119 - then ran the cables from the LNB's to 2 SW21's. From the 2 outputs on the SW21's - he ran 2 lines into the house - one to each receiver.
Was this the correct procedure for this type of setup?
I also noticed 1 receiver had 311 and DPro stamped on the card access door - the 2nd receiver had no logo on the front - just the rear.
Is this a mismatch?
Thanks for taking the time for this Newbie - I appreciate it,

bobby

Yes, that's how a legacy setup is done and it "should" work. The question of the hour is, why did he use legacy duals and external SW-21s rather than any form of twin LNB assembly (with built-in switches)? On my first Dish setup, I had two dishes: a D500 with legacy twin, another D500 with legacy dual for 61.5, and external SW-21's so that my two receivers could see 3 satellites. Why your installer failed to use a twin in the first place is a mystery to me. They're not expensive.

Thank Krell for replying.
I just did not know enough at the time. This site is opening my eye's fast!
So basically if I remove the 2 LNB's and install a Twin LNB would I need a separator or can I run each existing line from each receiver to Ports 1 and 2 on the Twin?
bobby

I've used sw-21 quite a bit when they first came out. Later on I started having issues with them on installs so I replaced lnb's and switches all with DP and quit using legacy lnb's when a switch/multiple satellites are required and it solved my problems. Best bet to get the lnb's with switch built in. You can probably get the whole lnb for what a switch would cost.

So basically if I remove the 2 LNB's and install a Twin LNB would I need a separator or can I run each existing line from each receiver to Ports 1 and 2 on the Twin?

Yes; one line from the twin to each of your 311's. This would work for legacy twins, DP twins, and DPP twins. Since the 311 is a single-tuner receiver, there is no need for a separator. If you are thinking of going with dual-tuner receivers in the future, then a DPP twin would be best. The separator ships with the dual-tuner receiver.

Got it!! Thank you very much.
I have ordered the twin - expected delivery Monday. Can't wait to rip everything else out.........lol

Thanks to everyone that contributed to helping me.

bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts