Receiver(s) changing channels on their own?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pensfan14

Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
NY
Hi,
I have a very strange problem. I own 4 receivers in total (1 DVR which is HR24-100 and the other 3 are HR24-700s. Whole home system) and come to find that 2 out of the 4 receivers apparently do not like SD channels. Last night, the HD channel that I was watching was acting a bit weird (sound was in and out). I changed over to the SD channel and fell asleep. I woke up around 2:30 this morning and found some bizarre church advertisement (followed by some actual Bible show) playing. Obviously, this was not qvc. I pressed info thinking I may have switched the channel, but the info banner assured me it was qvc. I flipped to another channel and flipped back and it was gone. Now, this also happened on Thursday right after D* solved their outage. I put on a channel that is normally SD, shut only my TV off, came back, and found the D* logo with music playing (just as it does on sports channels with no event on). Again, flipped the channel up one and back to the channel and it was fixed. This isn't the first time this has happened and I'm wondering what's going on. None of my other receivers were on at this time.
I mentioned one of my other receivers also has this issue, but they do not happen at the same time. It is only when I watch the SD version of a HD channel.

Can someone please solve this strange mystery? I'd like to avoid replacing the receiver(s) at all costs because I'm out of my 2yr contract and I'm waiting to upgrade once we relocate and know we can get a great deal out of D*.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman865
If you read all the posts you'll see DirecTV had a major problem yesterday with the (temporary?) loss of one satellite and all sorts of strange things happened as a result. So if I were you I would forget the starnge problems unless they happen again.

If you read all the posts you'll see DirecTV had a major problem yesterday with the (temporary?) loss of one satellite and all sorts of strange things happened as a result. So if I were you I would forget the starnge problems unless they happen again.

These were occurring before their satellite went down. If I had to estimate, it's probably been going on for about a month and a half. I don't usually flip to the SD version unless the HD channel is acting weird or our dish has snow on it. But even when I switch over without the HD going out, this problem still occurs.

What's your receiver/dish configuration? Do you have an SWM system or is there a multiswitch? The problem you are describing is usually caused by the control signals not getting to the dish correctly.

The satellite issue started late Wednesday night, and there are still minor problems now with locals in certain DMA's. Your problem again is most likely related to the issue of DirecTV having to retask the new satellite that took the place of the one that took a dump.

Probably not the same issue. The OP's problem was with SD channels, and has apparently happened before. the D10 issues only affected HD.
Since the OP hasn't responded, it's difficult to know. But it has all the signs of a problem with the odd/even transponder control signals. If the 18v signal for even transponders is getting voltage drop, then you get the odd transponders instead and so the wrong channel appears.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts