Recommendation for attic install

I'm using an Antenna Craft U4000 4 bay bowtie aimed at Dallas 63 miles away, from the back side of the antenna I am picking up Sherman channel 12VHF at 36.8 miles. I agree with bob2011 that a 4 bay should work but I recommended a HD8800 to give you more gain. It also can be purchased at a reasonable price as low as $56 off ebay if you shop around. Also on the Winegard the back reflectors fold up so it takes up less space for shipping
The AntennaCraft U8000 8-bay would be another choice.

Has anyone had any experience with the GE 24792 Compact Attic Mount Antenna? It has positive reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it will be big enough for my application.

Has anyone had any experience with the GE 24792 Compact Attic Mount Antenna? It has positive reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it will be big enough for my application.

Too small. I doubt you'd be able to keep signals locked 100% at your distance. Don't forget that putting the antenna in the attic will attenuate signal level by around 40%. So you need a lot more signal (meaning larger antenna) to get the same signal you'd get if mounted outside on the roof.

Seeing we have a Holiday weekend it will probably at least next week before I receive it and get it set up. The U4000 is doing a good job so I am not expecting major improvements.

The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, but is very good at picking up high VHF stations. I don't know if it would fit in your attic.

I see that the 4228 is only rated at 60 and 45 miles for UHF and VHF respectively. Are those top-end or conservative estimates? I know that an attic install will also diminish the range, so what are my chances of actually getting VHF reception at 50 miles away?

I see that the 4228 is only rated at 60 and 45 miles for UHF and VHF respectively. Are those top-end or conservative estimates? I know that an attic install will also diminish the range, so what are my chances of actually getting VHF reception at 50 miles away?

I'm 53 miles from the transmitter for our local channel 12 WJRT VHF, and this antenna 35ft up with an amp is unable to keep it locked. Antenna hasn't even been installed a year yet, and I used quad-shield coax, and did it right. It does very well on UHF though, and further away at that. I installed a separate highband vhf yagi for 12. So, I'd have to say those distance ratings are top end.

Transmitter Profile Detail
WJRT-TV (Digital)
Channel: 12 (12.1)
Network: ABC
Maximum ERP: 30.000 kW

Here's the VHF yagi antenna I installed, using a UVSJ coupler. I can HIGHLY recommend this antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z7ZJ66/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, but is very good at picking up high VHF stations. I don't know if it would fit in your attic.

I'm 53 miles from the transmitter for our local channel 12 WJRT VHF, and this antenna 35ft up with an amp is unable to keep it locked. Antenna hasn't even been installed a year yet, and I used quad-shield coax, and did it right. It does very well on UHF though, and further away at that. I installed a separate highband vhf yagi for 12.

Transmitter Profile Detail
WJRT-TV (Digital)
Channel: 12 (12.1)
Network: ABC
Maximum ERP: 30.000 kW

The only experience I have is with mine which picks up channel 10 from the back side with no dropouts, but I'm less than 10 miles from the transmitter. It sounds like primestar31s solution may work best for you.

Let us know how it compares to your 4-bay U4000.
Arrived Fri. quick setup I gained VHF ch8 & 9 from Dallas and increased my ch12 by about 10%. Negative Winegard used both 10mm and 7/16 nuts made installation a PIA trying different wrenches and sockets. Hopefully Sat. I'll get to make a permanent install.

Arrived Fri. quick setup I gained VHF ch8 & 9 from Dallas and increased my ch12 by about 10%. Negative Winegard used both 10mm and 7/16 nuts made installation a PIA trying different wrenches and sockets. Hopefully Sat. I'll get to make a permanent install.
Cool on the VHF. Can you provide some comparisons on the UHF?

UHF generally increased 2-4% over the 4000 greatest was from no signal to 64% but I don't watch that station. I found a distribution amp just about evened out the difference between the 4000 and 8800. That same distribution amp overdrove the 8800 and caused signal loss.

UHF generally increased 2-4% over the 4000 greatest was from no signal to 64% but I don't watch that station. I found a distribution amp just about evened out the difference between the 4000 and 8800. That same distribution amp overdrove the 8800 and caused signal loss.
So, you are saying that an amplified AC U4000 is about the same as an unamplified WG HD8800, which you can't amplify to to overload?

Does that apply to VHF, as well, or are you only referring to UHF, in this case?

So, you are saying that an amplified AC U4000 is about the same as an unamplified WG HD8800, which you can't amplify to to overload?

Does that apply to VHF, as well, or are you only referring to UHF, in this case?
U4000 with amplifier got ch8 upto low 60% about the same as HD8800 without amp. At that strength it produces a picture but will break up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)