Recording on tv2?

acker1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
SE
We live in a motorhome and receiver is in a cabinet. Been trying to get TV1 to respond to remote thru closed cabinet door. I 'searched' and found this:
"You just need to pair the 6.0 remote to the ViP722.
Press the system info button on the front of the receiver, then press the record button on the remote a few times... That's how you pair it"
I tried that, it didn't work and had a hard time getting my remote back working right. Now when I try to record on TV2, it shows on the guide that it is set up to record but nothing records on TV2. Dual mode is on. Recording on TV1 works. It was working before I tried the above in red. Gotta be something I missed when trying to set the remote back to where it was originally.

VIP722DVR

Thanks
DICK

Do you have the green key with a black number 1 that says uhf pro in the base of the remote.

The remote needs that to be in RF mode instead of infrared mode to work with a solid closed cabinet door.

If you just have the standard green key in base of remote it will be in IR mode and need line of sight to work.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TheKrell
do you have a 21.1 uhf/ir remote?
these remotes have a key in the bottom that can be pulled out and flipped over and there is a dip switch under the battery cover that has to be flipped from ir to uhf or vice versa.

As far as the recording goes, what kind of satellite are you using. How is it hooked up, is there a seperator or triplexer behind the reciever?

As far as the recording goes, what kind of satellite are you using. How is it hooked up, is there a seperator or triplexer behind the reciever?
that doesnt matter all a triplexer does is allow the modulated tv 2 signal to be blasted back down the same line that the sat signal comes in on from a diplexer that connects to sat input and tv 2.

you can run a 722 or any dual tuner receiver with out using triplexers or diplexers, just requires extra cable runs.

but you do need a seperator at least.

The triplexer can be used without a seperator to recieve satellite signal on both tuners. So instead of a diplexer and seperator he could just have a single seperator. Which is common for duo reciever installs.

Just to clarify, I am saying it just eliminates having two connections behind the reciever, and only requires one. It's just another option available.

there is also a set up called joes magic that allows long distance uhf remote usage for tv 2.

its basically two splitters and 3 small short coax jumpers and the antenna.

I think that the way I explained what happened misled some people. I apologize for that. I do want to get the remote problem resolved but right now I'm wanting to get the receiver to record on TV1 & TV2. Right now it will not on TV2. The recording problem started after I tried the setting the remote as shown above in red in first post. If we can resolve that, then I'll start on the remote problem.
But I will answer some of the questions above:

Recording problem: 1000.2 western arc on both roof and tripod. Connection to receiver is the same with both dishes. Unhooked the roof unit and hooked the tripod to the same connection. No diplexer or separator. Receiver is using the same remote that I've used for the last few years (5.3 IR). I think it is a setting I overlooked when trying to restore the remote to it's previous settings after I screwed it up following the instructions in red in first post. I'm confused that while it shows on menu that recorder is set up for TV2 it doesn't record. When it is setup for TV1 to record it is OK. Also when viewing an active program and hit 'record' it will record in the TV1 setting but not in TV2.

Remote thru cabinet problem: I have the standard green key in the remote (5.3 IR). When I traded for this motorhome about a month ago it has a bedroom tv with it's own receiver (VIP211Z) & remote: 20.1 IR. I also have a spare remote from my last RV that had a bedroom tv running off the VIP722DVR. That remote is: 6.3 IR/UHF PRO.

"Simply put a piece of coax from the back of the 722 and place the antenna is a visible spot."
If I did that would I still need a RF/UHF remote?

Thanks
DICK

so do you have no separator or triplexer on the back of the 722?
because on the back of the 722 there is 2 sat signal inputs.

another question is the tv 2 even hooked up to a tv and does it work?
because I have replaced 722's that will have one bad tuner.

ChadT41--It came back positive.

bigjohnok--Correct--"no separator or triplexer on the back of the 722"
TV2 is not hooked up to a TV. And it worked OK that way before I messed with the remote.

Thanks for the replies,
DICK

bigjohnok--I'll pull the receiver out and check it again. But the problem started when I tried reconfiguring the remote. I didn't do anything to the back. That's where I'm getting confused.

Thanks
DICK

The reason the back is important, is the tv2 tuner has to have a cable hooked up that is transmitting signal from the satellite. If not connected, then it would make sense as to why your tv2 recordings are not taking place. Next time you run the check switch, can you see if a message pops up, and afterwards, can you take a picture of the matrix?

bigjohnok--I'll pull the receiver out and check it again. But the problem started when I tried reconfiguring the remote. I didn't do anything to the back. That's where I'm getting confused.

Thanks
DICK
no worries electronics do weird crap sometimes.

an anecdote from my life as a avionics/electronics/comm tech/ electrician
when I was going through avionics a school in the navy the core(which as ac/dc theory, resistor theory, and other electrical theory courses) part of the school was taught by professors from the University of San Diego. Well I remember this to this day the professor one day asked us why electrical theory was called electrical theory and we responded we dont know sir. He responds well electricity and signals only does what it's supposed to do 99% of the time its that other 1% of the that electricity does what ever it wants to and we cant explain it. That is why its called electrical theory. He goes you know what we call that 1% and we go what? He replies FM the f=$%^^@# and the M=magic.

Reactions: acker1
There is a setting to default to tv2 tuner as the default, leaving tv1tuner for watching hd on the main tv. Just remember there is a difference between tv2 tuner and tv2 output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts