DVR recording question

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
One of my timers is set to "seek". I am getting multiple duplicate recordings of episodes from a local station, and USA network. Both are "HD". Is there a good way to decide which one to keep? Thanks!

One of my timers is set to "seek". I am getting multiple duplicate recordings of episodes from a local station, and USA network. Both are "HD". Is there a good way to decide which one to keep? Thanks!
Find the time slot in your guide after you delete the seek timer, hut select then double click the Series option and then you can set your recording frequency

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks HipKat. I'll try that. My other concern is to choose which file to keep between multiple recordings already completed, so as to keep the one with the higher resolution. I would assume a larger file size would indicate higher recording quality, but I don't know that for a fact nor even how to view file size. I also don't know if a local OTA signal should be of higher/lesser quality than the networks' (e.g. ION or USA).

The only way I have seen to see file size is when you transfer the recording to an external drive it indicates how much space is needed for that file. As for OTA recordings, all of them are MPEG2 and thusly about twice the size of MPEG4 recordings with similar resolution, MPEG4 being a more efficient method of compression it is a crap shoot. I would not be so worried about it myself, just record what you want to watch and enjoy resolution is not what it is cracked up to be.

I was curious to see the picture quality between Dish local channel and OTA. Same show.
I keep hearing OTA offers no or little compression. So, OTA should offer better picture assuming the reception is good.
I get NBC local three ways where I live. Dish, Lexington, KY (ota) and Cincinnati (ota). Both ota NBC give me a slightly better picture. I can tell especially from soccer matches.
I am assuming OTA recording should be a larger file compared to the same recording from Dish. If space is the issue on Hopper or ehd you may prefer to record from Dish.

Thanks sktrus. I'll choose to keep the OTA as it might be better resolution, but as Jim said, probably not worth obsessing over.

OTA picture quality depends on how the local broadcaster splits the bandwidth among the subchannels. In Columbus, Ohio some of the subchannels look good while others look really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTA picture quality depends on how the local broadcaster splits the bandwidth among the subchannels. In Columbus, Ohio some of the subchannels look good while others look really bad.

Hey, also in Columbus.

Have you been having audio breakup problems on Ch 4 NBC4i?

It seems that the audio will break up randomly but always when it switches from local DMA to the network. Like NBC News at 6:30, it always breaks up for about a minute before stabilizing.

If you're having the problem, not sure if it's a Dish or Local DMA problem. I don't want to randomly put in a trouble ticket to 4i if it might be a Dish or Hopper issue. But it only happens on channel 4, so my guess is not a Hopper but may be either a feed issue from 4 to Dish or local to 4.

Yes, the audio on NBC breaks up at the beginning of the National News at 6:30 PM. I DVR the NBC Nightly News and the audio starts off bad for every recording. I am currently recording the satellite broadcast of channel 4.00 on my Family Room Hopper3.
I am going to set up a timer to record channel 4.01 on my Living Room hopper 3 to see if the problem occurs with the OTA recording.

Yes, the audio on NBC breaks up at the beginning of the National News at 6:30 PM. I DVR the NBC Nightly News and the audio starts off bad for every recording. I am currently recording the satellite broadcast of channel 4.00 on my Family Room Hopper3.
I am going to set up a timer to record channel 4.01 on my Living Room hopper 3 to see if the problem occurs with the OTA recording.
Great, glad to know it's just not me. I will try to do the same thing and compare. Or at least be on 4.1 while recording 4.0, as even if I'm on 4.0, it still breaks up, and also on other shows on 4, even in the evening, as they switch from local programming to network.

If we can establish a consistent pattern we might be able to divine if it' might be Dish's issue or channel 4's

Great, glad to know it's just not me. I will try to do the same thing and compare. Or at least be on 4.1 while recording 4.0, as even if I'm on 4.0, it still breaks up, and also on other shows on 4, even in the evening, as they switch from local programming to network.

If we can establish a consistent pattern we might be able to divine if it' might be Dish's issue or channel 4's

Tonight the audio had no problem so maybe the problem has been fixed.

Tonight the audio had no problem so maybe the problem has been fixed.

It's funny how we talk about it here, and it magically gets fixed. Same here for last night as well. One data point doesn't make a trend, but we will see.

If it was Dish Tech support that monitored this and reported it, then you have our gratitude.