Red MoCA Icons On the Joeys?

Still same condition. Joeys are red, the hopper is green. Signal quality very poor, almost impossible to watch. As before, happens with a period of inactivity, when everything powers down. All my network indications are green now. Would it be possible to just run shorter cable to 1 Joey for now? Or should I still keep them both in the network?

I have 2 Joeys linked to the HWS. Both have yellow moca indicators and one will dropout (video and audio) for about a minute at a time then reconnect. Moca indicator on the Hopper is green. Node replaced no difference. Seems to have happened with the last software update.

I think its related to a recent SW update.

Had all green moca indicators across my system but recently started seeing some joeys show red. Nothing has changed. Haven't seen any audio or video dropouts.

I have had the original Hopper for one year and never saw Red MoCA indicators on my 2 Joeys (no HIC).

I upgraded to a Hopper w/Sling and a OTA tuner module a couple weeks ago. NOTHING else has changed!
Today is the first day I see Red MoCA on both Joeys.

My cable is top of the line Belden 1694A RG6/U sweep tested to 4.5GHz.
The longest cable run is less than 65 feet.

What gives?

Last edited:
Could be a bad node, i had this issue on my own system and I'm a tech. I replaced cable to the hopper since i used the old cable being lazy since it was my own house figured I'd just run new if I had problems. After replacing the node I had green moca, until the hic became active. The hic itself went bad and was causing red moca signal on one joey, replaced the hic and had all green moca, even after doing that I was still having freezing issues on one joey. Turns out I eventually had a bad hopper, every joey linked to that hopper would have the same issue. I have a 2 hopper (no sling) 3 joey system.

Alright, I turned on Bridging on my Hopper w/S and did a power restart last night.
[ Menu > Network Setup > Broadband > Network Setup: "MoCA" > press Blue button twice > Bridging > Hopper Bridge Support: ON

MoCA is green all around this morning. Will update if any changes.

Don't know what IP Bridging would have to do with MoCA signal strength :what

Question: What is the effect of Frequency Scan "Restricted / Full" in the MoCA setup?

Last edited:
I don't think that the frequency scan setting does anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I decided to leave the System alone, that is not reset it. Went to work, when I came home, 9 hrs later the Icons on the 2 Joeys were green and all was good again. It was all by itself. Went to bed, next AM, both Joeys red, the hopper was green. did another reset. I do not know what the red/green icons even mean. Like is red a poor signal, connection, interference etc? Does the green indicate proper function, whatever that may be. There also appear to be 4 bars mixed in with all of this also. Are they just a simple graphic or do they indicate some sort of status. I think if this BS keeps up DISH will be taking their Joeys back to AUSSIE. I (nor anyone else) should have to deal with this.

5 Days Ago

Dish tech came again to my house. We started right from scratch on this issue again. Before he came the condition was present. Day he came the MoCA Icons were all green. Checked all basics all over again. Power, cabling length etc. Described and went thru all settings I had made on this forum, in response to posts etc. The decision was made to install a new Hopper, and to reset all the joeys to out of the box states. No bridging on the hopper. It has been 5 days of hassle free TV the first time in a month and change.
Many thanks to all you folks who gave me some insight as to what might/might not have been the problem. It went well in the respect that I could say to the tech " Tried that and ...".

Thank you all again!!

I purchased a brand new Hopper/Sling and a Joey and installed them 5/13. Initially had no Moca problems. I replaced all cable with 3Ghz rated RG6 before install.

After a day or two I setup the Wifi on the Hopper, and immediately started seeing Moca issues described here, and a couple other threads. Having seen reports that bridging solves the problem, I tried enabling the bridge. The red Moca went green right away. Never saw another problem for over a week.

Then 2 days ago right after the 1AM (obnoxious) reboot, I saw the red moca icon on the Hopper a few minutes after the reboot. Note the Joey wasn't even in use. I checked the Joey to see if it was rebooting, it also showed red moca and the video was a little glitchy (but mostly usable). I tried rebooting the Joey, no fix. I then tried rebooting the Hopper via the reset button, also no fix. I did another search here looking for other hints, and the Moca went green on it's own. I was up for another couple hours and noticed the red moca icon disappear and reappear every 10-15 minutes or so in randomly changing intervals. Didn't take any further action for the day.

The next day, observed much the same behavior, the icon would come and go, usually staying red for 10-15 minutes, and going green for 20 minutes. I finally decided to do a hard reboot when it reappeared during a time when I could reboot without breaking anything. This time I removed power from the Hopper, and for good measure removed power from the switch (DPP44, separate dedicated coax run for power line). No red moca since, and it has been about 2 days since that hard reboot.

My thought is that some of this red moca trouble may be due to something within the node, and removing power from the node entirely will clear it up, I also wonder if the bridging setup does something which also results in clearing up the same issue. I tend to not think the node is defective since if it were it should a lot more troublesome then it is. Also there seems to be a number of people seeing very similar trouble.

As for the previous post where they ended up replacing hardware, did any of the previous troubleshooting involve cutting power to everything involved?

I've seen a similar issue to this myself and it ended up being that the coax pins were too long and the connection was suffering as a result. After the coax pins were clipped to the correct length then a good connection was made and moca has been green since. Did you use any existing wiring or is there a possibility of any splitters or junction boxes or inline amplifiers being on the line behind a wall?

I've seen a similar issue to this myself and it ended up being that the coax pins were too long and the connection was suffering as a result. After the coax pins were clipped to the correct length then a good connection was made and moca has been green since. Did you use any existing wiring or is there a possibility of any splitters or junction boxes or inline amplifiers being on the line behind a wall?

No, I installed all new cable myself, no splice other then wallplates (one wallplate at the Joey, one at the Hopper), I checked that the wallplate is 3Ghz certified.

What is the ideal length for the stinger in this case? I usually leave it approx 1/8" past the edge of the barrel.

I had a similar problem on a 2 hopper upgrade today. Cabling good, swapped nodes. Replaced lnb/sat lines. Issue was joeys wouldn't link to 1 of the hoppers, and moca signal was red on the entire system. Joeys had no problem working with the other hopper. Replaced hopper, moca went to green and the issue cleared up. My guess is your hopper is causing the issue.

Joey

Time saver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts