Refusing 2nd Joey for a 2H/1J configuration?

TimA

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Midwest
I'll soon be switching from local cable to Dish, and we've thought long and hard about how we use our current DVRs and how we think we'll use Dish's new Hopper. Across our two current DVRs we've got 4 tuners and believe, based on what we record and how we watch TV, that we'll need 2 Hoppers. As you well know, Dish's policy is at least one Joey per Hopper, and we currently only have 3 TVs. I've seen reference to situations where the second Joey is refused at time of install or sent back shortly after installation. Before I commit to the cost of the second Hopper, I just thought I'd get your opinions on whether this is a viable strategy or if I'm likely to put myself in a jam if I try it. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I've read of others doing this and that is exactly what the gal with customer relations told me to do. My install is on April 17th so I'll find out then.

Do you have a local Dish retailer that you know or have heard good things about? If so, use them as the deals are the same, but from other reports, it seems they can twiddle the gear more than Dish will do directly.

Ordering too much and then refusing a box makes the installer have to call to get a change to the work order. That adds time to his job, and that job is paid on a per job, not hourly basis.

Do you have a local Dish retailer that you know or have heard good things about? If so, use them as the deals are the same, but from other reports, it seems they can twiddle the gear more than Dish will do directly.

Ordering too much and then refusing a box makes the installer have to call to get a change to the work order. That adds time to his job, and that job is paid on a per job, not hourly basis.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks for replying. I don't know any local resources, but if anyone can recommend someone in the Kansas City area, I'm glad to go that direction.

I'll soon be switching from local cable to Dish, and we've thought long and hard about how we use our current DVRs and how we think we'll use Dish's new Hopper. Across our two current DVRs we've got 4 tuners and believe, based on what we record and how we watch TV, that we'll need 2 Hoppers. As you well know, Dish's policy is at least one Joey per Hopper, and we currently only have 3 TVs. I've seen reference to situations where the second Joey is refused at time of install or sent back shortly after installation. Before I commit to the cost of the second Hopper, I just thought I'd get your opinions on whether this is a viable strategy or if I'm likely to put myself in a jam if I try it. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

That's exactly what they had to do when my 2 Hopper / 1 Joey was installed. In my case, I ordered the 2H/1J installation via online chat. When the installer arrived, his work order said 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. He had to call into a Dish CSR and took them about 25 minutes to figure out how to place this configuration in their system. They finally decided to enter it with 2H/2J with one Joey going back with the installer. The installer actually had to activate the 2nd Joey to make the Dish system happy, before boxing it back up. Be sure to check your account online after the installation. I had to chat with Dish once again to have the second Joey removed from the account. All in all, a bit of a hassle, but I have the system that I wanted.

When I explained why I wanted a two hopper/one Joey setup I had no issues ordering it.

The two hoppers/one joey work great in our house!

Why don't you get a Directv HR34, and maybe an additional HR24?

I think thats way better suited than trying to get (2) Hoppers and 1 Joey.

As a new customer, 2 hoppers and 1 Joey would cost him $300 depending on which package he signs up for ($99 less with top 200) and a 2 year contract. He'd get 6 physical tuners for three rooms. Possibly up to 9 if he uses the PTAT feature a lot. $24 a month in hardware costs for 2H/1J (DVR/WholeHome/Additional Outlets).

What are the costs for a three room whole home solution in HD/DVR for DirecTV and how many tuners do you get?

He would only be chaged $100/per Hopper for a total of $200, there is no cost for the Joey. That's what I paid.
new customer and existing customer promotions are different. You can end up at the same cost for 2 hoppers, but it's structured differently. Like the first hopper free with top 200 for new customer contracts.

Claude Greiner said:
I can do a deal through the Dishstore with an HR24 and an HR34 for $200 upfront with $125 cash back in form of a rebate.

That beats the socks off the Hopper solution.

I thought you offered that rebate for your new Dish subs as well? :confused

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I can do a deal through the Dishstore with an HR24 and an HR34 for $200 upfront with $125 cash back in form of a rebate.

That beats the socks off the Hopper solution.
so as long as you're responsible enough to follow the rules with the rebate, only $75 for an HR34/HR24. Price sounds good and it looks like you'd get 5 tuners plus 2 more with the HR24.

I think that only gets me two rooms in HD though... right? or am i confused about the Directv technology?

how much would it cost for a second HR24 so that i can have HD and whole home DVR ability in all three rooms?

so as long as you're responsible enough to follow the rules with the rebate, only $75 for an HR34/HR24. Price sounds good and it looks like you'd get 5 tuners plus 2 more with the HR24.

I think that only gets me two rooms in HD though... right? or am i confused about the Directv technology?

how much would it cost for a second HR24 so that i can have HD and whole home DVR ability in all three rooms?

I'd like to know this as well. I've really only looked at Dish's H/J technology so I suppose shouldn't rule out Directv. If I have 3 TVs and want to watch recorded programming on any of them, as well as have the ability to pause live TV on any of those 3 TVs, what does that setup look like and what would it cost? Do the non-HR34 receivers also need to be DVRs in order to pause live TV? If I have multiple DVRs all connected in the same "infrastructure" how well do they integrate w/ one another (i.e. "see" each other's recordings)?

TimA said:
I'd like to know this as well. I've really only looked at Dish's H/J technology so I suppose shouldn't rule out Directv. If I have 3 TVs and want to watch recorded programming on any of them, as well as have the ability to pause live TV on any of those 3 TVs, what does that setup look like and what would it cost? Do the non-HR34 receivers also need to be DVRs in order to pause live TV? If I have multiple DVRs all connected in the same "infrastructure" how well do they integrate w/ one another (i.e. "see" each other's recordings)?

Yes the non-HR34 recievers need to be DVRs in order to pause live TV as the HD recievers do not have a hard drive.

Yes the non-HR34 recievers need to be DVRs in order to pause live TV as the HD recievers do not have a hard drive.
and i don't think you can get an HR34 with two HR24s because of the 8 tuner limitation... right?

so basically Dish is the only solution for TimA until DirecTV launches their RVU client box for a whole home solution?

Don't forget you have to look at programming too. Directv is missing several basic channels in HD that I like, such as BBC America. If I am going to get a whole home HD dvr system, then I would make sure all the channels I actually watch are in HD on whichever provider is chosen.

sparc said:
and i don't think you can get an HR34 with two HR24s because of the 8 tuner limitation... right?

so basically Dish is the only solution for TimA until DirecTV launches their RVU client box for a whole home solution?

I think you can by using a SWM-16 switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts