Regional Sports Fee ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
Noticed this caveat on Directv's website under Choice and up packages. Does this apply to all zip codes? is there a list somewhere? and does the fee vary?

It's actually $3.00. fee.jpg

Apparently they are charging different amounts depending upon the market.

Attachments

• Directv.JPG
    Directv.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 246
DirecTV To Expand RSN Surcharge in Spring

http://www.multichannel.com/satellite/directv-expand-rsn-surcharge-spring/141736

DirecTV began implementing a $3 monthly surcharge in August for regional sports networks in markets that had multiple RSNs, but only to new customers. That surcharge, mainly in markets like New York and Los Angeles, will expand to existing customers in those areas in the spring, White told analysts on a conference call to discuss fourth quarter results.

They'll push it as far as they can until people finally stop watching. The problem is no one has a choice whether to pay for it or not, since the media groups want everything bundled in a base package.

Andrewj:

Well there is something called a Sports Tax. There was a thread about it, maybe here or on DB Stalk?

osu1991: Well, you do have a choice. Drop Cable and Sat and just go on Streaming or OTA. Or gray market download sites. If you're a sports fan, they have you trapped and think they can throw every Sports Tax they can at you and you'll take it. And like it.

Andrewj:

Well there is something called a Sports Tax. There was a thread about it, maybe here or on DB Stalk?

osu1991: Well, you do have a choice. Drop Cable and Sat and just go on Streaming or OTA. Or gray market download sites. If you're a sports fan, they have you trapped and think they can throw every Sports Tax they can at you and you'll take it. And like it.

Is that not what I said?

As for just not subscribing, that seems to be every sports fans answer. I am a sports fan too, but as a consumer and businessman, I can see the writing on the wall. There is going to be a point (and IMO it's coming soon) at which consumers say enough is enough. It's not just sports channels, it's also the forced bundling of 20 or more channels just to be able to carry the 3 channels 98% of consumers watch. The US subscription tv model needs to change if it wants to thrive and survive another 20 years, otherwise it begins dying a slow death.

Andrewj:

I think I'm good for my RSN (maybe someday will have a fee for Big Ten) because Directv owns Root Sports Pittsburgh. That would be insane if they charge us for their own channel.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App on my iPhone 5!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts