Regional Sports Fee ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
don't know about any Sports Tax.
unless NY Mayor Bloomberg put that in somewhere.
but the LA fee is about TWC paying the Laker's a average of 180 million over the next 20 years, 120 million this year.
Fox had paid 60 million last year. next year TWC takes over the Dodgers TV rights paying some over the top rate,wait till that comes around.

as a sports fan not really that bad my total bill is about $1400-1600 a year for almost every game in all sports.
was paying more than that for tickets to a few games in the 1980's. how many tickets could i buy for $1600 now ?
this model is not going to ever change over the next 20 years look over the last 20 years it has got worse with the
choices available to pay TV buyer, aka death of cband it was the only time we had choice of what to pay for.

As for just not subscribing, that seems to be every sports fans answer. I am a sports fan too, but as a consumer and businessman, I can see the writing on the wall. There is going to be a point (and IMO it's coming soon) at which consumers say enough is enough.

I think I'll be at that point when my 2 year deal with DIRECTV is up. I don't have a $3 RSN fee yet (and I won't pay it because ROOT rocky mountain and altitude combined aren't worth $3 to me per month for the lack of live sports they offer) plus the junk fees -- advanced receiver fee, additional outlet for the Genie client -- at normal rates are about $31 (or roughly half the cost of the CHOICE programming package I have).

With junk fees at about half of the programming package price and extra fees for RSN's that can't be avoided without losing desired channels (i.e. forcing downgrading to SELECT or ENTERTAINMENT or FAMILY since there is no CHOICE or CHOICE XTRA without the junk RSN fee), it seems like the churn will expand as people leave their 24 month contract.

I like ESPN for MNF and college sports but I guess I'll probably have to get used to having just MLB.TV for sports and use netflix and/or amazon prime for non-sports programming if I find that there is no such thing as a sub-$75/month pay tv bill with espn/espn2 included when my 24-mo directv contract expires.

I think I'll be at that point when my 2 year deal with DIRECTV is up. I don't have a $3 RSN fee yet (and I won't pay it because ROOT rocky mountain and altitude combined aren't worth $3 to me per month for the lack of live sports they offer) plus the junk fees -- advanced receiver fee, additional outlet for the Genie client -- at normal rates are about $31 (or roughly half the cost of the CHOICE programming package I have).

With junk fees at about half of the programming package price and extra fees for RSN's that can't be avoided without losing desired channels (i.e. forcing downgrading to SELECT or ENTERTAINMENT or FAMILY since there is no CHOICE or CHOICE XTRA without the junk RSN fee), it seems like the churn will expand as people leave their 24 month contract.

I like ESPN for MNF and college sports but I guess I'll probably have to get used to having just MLB.TV for sports and use netflix and/or amazon prime for non-sports programming if I find that there is no such thing as a sub-$75/month pay tv bill with espn/espn2 included when my 24-mo directv contract expires.

A lot happens in 2 years, take a look in the last 3 months and see what's available then.
Things have changed drastically in the last 24 months.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

All the Root Sports channels are owned by DirecTV Sports Networks. So I think we are cleared from RSN fee. Then again if they need extra money it would be a sneaky way to get money without raising package price.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App on my iPhone 5!

I think you'll start seeing more push back from the providers in the next five years. Directv has started not paying for some sports channels and dropping less viewed niche channels. Dish has their Espn/Disney contract coming up this years too.

Here's my take. The RSN managements all or pretty much all, know that if a la carte purchase was available OR their services pushed into premium tiers would result in plummeting viewership.
So , from say the mid 80's RSN management have insisted their channels be placed on the lowest tier possible. This resulted in higher costs to the consumer. That increase also effects consumers who have little or no interest in sports programming.
More recently, professional sports organizations seeing tv revenue fall, decided to market their teams through private franchise created channels to which pay tv customers must subscribe to view games. The battle again raged with providers over the cost of these services. Of course the sports team's managements wanted their new service to be placed on the lowest tier possible to capture the largest part of the market. Providers again balked. Dish has been perhaps the biggest proponent in pushing back. Their disputes with NY Metro area RSN's YES( Yankees) SNY( Mets) MSG( Isles, Rangers, Devils) have never been resolved.
I see this as a no win situation. Sports teams are going to be forced to allow A la carte. Or maybe with these new RSN fees, in effect a la carte is already in place. So why not go all the way. Make all RSN's an option to all consumers. If they want it, they can pay for it. If consumers don't want these channels, they don't pay for them.
Prices for pay tv are spinning out of control. It's going to get to the point where people are going to slam shut their wallets.

All the Root Sports channels are owned by DirecTV Sports Networks. So I think we are cleared from RSN fee. Then again if they need extra money it would be a sneaky way to get money without raising package price.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App on my iPhone 5!
Root Sports channels would be near worth less with out the NHL,MLB. Teams they have.
these guys are at war TWC,Fox,Comcast/NBC, Root/DTV and i would not be surpised of CBS becomes
a new player down the road here.
and it's our money they are spending guys.

Do what??

So, they're apparently assessing these fee ($2-$3) on EVERYONE's bill? I thought it was some type of $2 mistake until my pals at DirecTV informed me it was a new fee that cannot be removed. I don't even watch or know what Regional Sports Networks there are out there let alone think I should be paying for it.

I'm in Nevada, BTW....what the heck? This would certainly be a lovely section of channels to have setup a la carte......I'd deep six it forever :)

Maybe if I call them up and explain how not a single person in my household even watches any of the RSN channels.......can't drop them if I read correctly further up thread that it's included on ALL packages. What a ripoff!!

Anyhoo.......guess I'll just bend over and take yet another one up the rear end baby!

Sheesh......

Do what??

So, they're apparently assessing these fee ($2-$3) on EVERYONE's bill? I thought it was some type of $2 mistake until my pals at DirecTV informed me it was a new fee that cannot be removed. I don't even watch or know what Regional Sports Networks there are out there let alone think I should be paying for it.

I'm in Nevada, BTW....what the heck? This would certainly be a lovely section of channels to have setup a la carte......I'd deep six it forever :)

Maybe if I call them up and explain how not a single person in my household even watches any of the RSN channels.......can't drop them if I read correctly further up thread that it's included on ALL packages. What a ripoff!!

Anyhoo.......guess I'll just bend over and take yet another one up the rear end baby!

Sheesh......

Or call them and explain what you just said and watch them Credit you the $3 p/m ... they do that type of thing quite often.

Do what??

Sheesh......

The Entertainment package doesn't have any rsns.

Ahhh......I stand corrected :)

Still feels like they're trying to spread out the cost to everyone instead of those who actually enjoy that group of channels. Alas, I will cease my bickering and see if D* will grant me a wish :)

Ahhh......I stand corrected :)

Still feels like they're trying to spread out the cost to everyone instead of those who actually enjoy that group of channels. Alas, I will cease my bickering and see if D* will grant me a wish :)

nvguy,
Are you being charged this addl. fee ?
Are you in the LA DMA, don't know if LV is LA's DMA ?

Las Vegas gets the California RSN's + FS Arizona so 7 RSN's total

TWSN
FS San Diego (which is going full time on 4/1)
FS Arizona
FS West
Prime Ticket
CSN Bay Area
CSN California

The following pro teams claim Vegas (and most of Nevada)
A's
Kings
Giants
Warriors
Padres
Ducks
Dodgers
Clippers
Lakers
Angels
Kings
Lakers
D-Backs
Coyotes

Las Vegas gets the California RSN's + FS Arizona so 7 RSN's total

TWSN
FS San Diego (which is going full time on 4/1)
FS Arizona
FS West
Prime Ticket
CSN Bay Area
CSN California

The following pro teams claim Vegas (and most of Nevada)
A's
Kings
Giants
Warriors
Padres
Ducks
Dodgers
Clippers
Lakers
Angels
Kings
Lakers
D-Backs
Coyotes

I see, now what they should do is ASK you which RSN you want to claim as yours and make that free .... and if you choose to have others, then charge the addl. fee.
This way, your NOT charged for your designated RSN.

in areas like that it doesn't work like that. All 6 MLB teams claim Vegas as example. What is odd is Iowa is the same way (6 teams claim it) yet on Choice you only get CSN Chicago. You need sports pack to get FS North (Twins & Brewers) and FS Midwest (cards & Royals). They are not charged the fee

nvguy,
Are you being charged this addl. fee ?
Are you in the LA DMA, don't know if LV is LA's DMA ?

Yeah, I got slapped with a $2 fee for the RSN's I never watch. I wouldn't even know what plays on those channels......I don't think I've eve tuned to them in the 2.5 years I've been with D*.

Yeah, I got slapped with a $2 fee for the RSN's I never watch. I wouldn't even know what plays on those channels......I don't think I've eve tuned to them in the 2.5 years I've been with D*.

Kindly call D* and politely ask them about the fee and ask them to credit you the amount as you dont ever watch them.

They may not be able to credit that but they'll probably give you like a $25 "courtesy credit" which would cover it for a while

When I lost my "free HD" they couldnt add it back but instead gave me a one time $50 "courtesy credit" :)

Good advice. I'll give it a shot :)

Thanks!

They may not be able to credit that but they'll probably give you like a $25 "courtesy credit" which would cover it for a while

When I lost my "free HD" they couldnt add it back but instead gave me a one time $50 "courtesy credit" :)

Yes, it's always an option to credit you on some other item, vs what your exactly calling about.
They'll often give you a programming credit or something like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)