Remastered Trek Due On HD DVD

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Remastered Trek Due On HD DVD

An HD DVD collection of Star Trek: The Original Series, remastered with new visual effects and score, will be released on Nov. 20 in a set of 10 double-sided discs, it was announced at Comic-Con International in San Diego on July 26. The discs will feature the high-def version of the show on one side and the standard DVD version on the other.

Star Trek fans were treated to their first glimpse of the set at a panel at Comic-Con. Remastered from the original camera master negatives from the show, the set not only updates the classic series with new bonus materials, but the episodes also feature new visual effects, CGI and a re-recorded score, as in the currently airing syndicated version of the show.

Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry Jr., son of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, appeared at the panel to reassure purist fans that he has provided his official stamp of approval on the new set.

"When I first heard about remastering Star Trek, I kind of felt like a lot of fans out there thinking, 'Don't touch it,'" Roddenberry said. "I didn't want the 'Star Wars [special edition] effect' to happen to it. But when I found out that Mike and Denise Okuda [Trek series scenic artists] and Dave Rossy [Trek marketing] were going to be involved and had some decision-making power, I felt much better. When I found out it wasn't about changing the scenes—it wasn't about adding content, but taking what was there and just enhancing it and ... putting in CG—I thought it was nice. But then I said, 'You have to keep the original DVDs available for the die-hards that don't want the remaster.' So I’m 100 percent behind it."

Bonus materials include a 3-D self-navigated shuttle tour of the NCC-1701, a "Starfleet Access" interface with onscreen icons that provide additional data, trivia and exclusive new video interviews from the cast and crew about the episodes, as well as never-before-seen footage from Trek extra Billy Blackburn's personal Super 8 movies shot on set. The set carries a suggested retail price of $217.99. —Tara DiLullo Bennett

Source: SCIFI wire

Wow, sounds pretty cool. I liked that Eugene Roddenberry said he didn't want it to be like the "Star Wars" remaster, which is what I feared when I first heard about this.

Perhaps as people pick this up, they can post what they think.

It is quite the investment to redo all the CGI... I bet they are doing this to be able to resindicate them. I bet they would attract a whole new audience if the special effects looked modern. I do not see enough HD-DVD buyers to pay for it alone, they must be looking ahead to see what local stations will need to fill those digital broadcast hours in HD.

$217.99... Are they stoned???!!?????

Then again, I bought the STNG tape of the month club from Columbia House 15 years ago. $24 a month for TWO episodes. Worked out to about $312 a season. In 1992 dollars.

But in today's market they are double what they can get away. look for this to tank and sell only to the hardest of the hardcore.... Jerks will probably make them write stories about how Star Trek can't sell anymore..... Well, not at $217 a season they can't.....

where's it on amazon? I want to get it for that price.. :)

Right Here :)

startrek.jpg

Last edited:
Now, I'm thinking that I should support this thing one way or the other since I want Star Trek back as a weekly series (and kept FAR away from UPN, er, the CW)....

The thing that killed Star Trek on TV wasn't Enterprise or Voyager.... It was a weak ass network that wasn't carried everywhere. If it was syndicated like STNG and DS9 it would probably still be on the air....

$217.99... Are they stoned???!!?????

Then again, I bought the STNG tape of the month club from Columbia House 15 years ago. $24 a month for TWO episodes. Worked out to about $312 a season. In 1992 dollars.

But in today's market they are double what they can get away. look for this to tank and sell only to the hardest of the hardcore.... Jerks will probably make them write stories about how Star Trek can't sell anymore..... Well, not at $217 a season they can't.....

Amazon's got it for $138+

There needs to be a new season of Quantum Leap and the first episode can be Scott Backula going back in time to prevent him from doing Enterprise and destroying his career.

I'll settle for a TV movie to finally get him home... I hated that final episode wrap up..... Stockwell's character never becomes the letch he became since his wife found out he was alive from Sam and never moved on...., but Sam "never came home"?

What channel has had these?

WNBC Channel 4 NYC shows it in the dead of night on Saturday. I caught an episode the other night. The picture was phenomenal. And all the details were incredible. First rate conversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)