Remote RF Anteena

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
Other than moving the location of the standard Dish RF Antenna, does any know if there are any upgraded antennas that will improve on the Dish standard RF antenna? The antenna receives signals from remotes in different rooms as well as the room where the receiver (722k) is located. While set up works, sometimes the RF signal from the remotes in the other rooms needed to be repeated to work. Therefore I would like to know if there are antennas that would be better in getting reception of the remote's signal.

Thanks.

When we at home the remote antenna is attached to a short legnth of coax cable, placing the antenna beside the TV cabinet. In the RV it's attached directly to the receiver. We have to point the remote control in various directions at times, trial and error.

fred

Thank you fredbon.

I currently have the antenna on a short length of coax cable as you do. What I’m trying to overcome is the trial and error scenario of repress the buttons. I was hoping someone might know if there is a better antenna available.

Thank you fredbon.

I currently have the antenna on a short length of coax cable as you do. What I’m trying to overcome is the trial and error scenario of repress the buttons. I was hoping someone might know if there is a better antenna available.

This should solve your problem! RemoExtend1.jpg

Thanks upsss but I guess I was not clear. I have three separate locations I want to service, family room with the receiver, kitchen, bedroom.

If I follow your solution I would be moving the antenna closer to one location but much further away from the second location. In fact I had tried your solution and basically lost the signal from the other location. Currently the receiver and antenna is midway between the two other locations. Therefore it would seem the best solution is an antenna with a better receiving capability.

Thanks upsss but I guess I was not clear. I have three separate locations I want to service, family room with the receiver, kitchen, bedroom.

If I follow your solution I would be moving the antenna closer to one location but much further away from the second location. In fact I had tried your solution and basically lost the signal from the other location. Currently the receiver and antenna is midway between the two other locations. Therefore it would seem the best solution is an antenna with a better receiving capability.

No problem, you add to each TV2 its own antenna and a splitter.

BTW, a "better" (higher gain) antenna than the original Dish UHF antenna or a "rabbit ears" (Dipole type) would have to be much larger (Yagi type, Google it) which would be very directional and it will not solve your problem. My original suggestion is your solution.

Last edited:
Try setting the remote code for satellite on TV 2 to the mid range of numbers; somewhere between 8-15. I find this generally gives the best range. Also, I've experimented with antennas from Ham radio handi-talkies in the 440mhz range and some of them will double and triple your range. Some of those rubber ducky antennas they use are stacked dipoles of different varieties and perform really well. Of course you'll have to find an adapter to go from BBC to an f-56 coax connector as well.

If Grandpa has a large house, many rooms, several floors, such a house will have many steel AC ducts, lots of wall wiring and many copper water pipes. In such a case changing the remote frequency will not help very much.

Thank you everyone.

I went over to Fry’s and got a “VHF/UHF Dualband High Gain Antenna”. I did have to get a BNC to “F” adopter too. I changed out the standard Dish antenna with this new one. Now when I use the remotes in the other rooms they work every time.

It was not a big thing but it was annoying to have to keep pressing the button on the remotes until they actually worked the receiver. Sometimes it’s just the little things that get to you, but it’s now fixed.

No problem, you add to each TV2 its own antenna and a splitter.

This is interesting, I have a whole house distribution system, could I add two or three antennas in different places to get reception everywhere in the house? Would multiple antennas cause a conflict? There is no conflict with OTA antenna signals on the same line?

The number of antennas don't matter, however if you are splitting off your feed to tv2, the more splitters the worse your picture will get.

This is interesting, I have a whole house distribution system, could I add two or three antennas in different places to get reception everywhere in the house? Would multiple antennas cause a conflict? There is no conflict with OTA antenna signals on the same line?

You will have the same "conflict" whether you have one antenna or multiple antennas. Only one remote a time can control TV2 output.

I have the same problem, however my problem room is a de-tached shop about 75 feet from the receiver, plus 3 walls. I have seen these battery replacement devices and was wondering if anyone has tried them.
How to Install a RF Remote Extender | eHow.com
TIA,
Steve
If extending your UHF antenna with a piece of coax doesn't help then see my #6 post. This is the most reliable and cost effective solution (< $5.00) and it will practically work at any distance.

Would definitely recommend setting you remote address to mid range number I use 24 usually this sets it to Band B and will reach further you can also try upsss's suggestion only place a splitter with an antenna at each tv location should fix your problem. I had to do that at a 6 rm customer had tv in the garage with tv in br on the complete opposite side of the house. Band B may fix your problem by itself though.