reserved record

caseyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 16, 2010
east coast
does anybody have luck to do reserved record on 125W PBS? i set time, etc. but looks like it does not do sh1t! i did reserved on some of the GAL19 @97w. i think it is an EPG issue. when i tried to record with a rec button it spits out something about channel message.
using elite, f/w 4890, usb hdd 250 GB
thanks

does anybody have luck to do reserved record on 125W PBS? i set time, etc. but looks like it does not do sh1t! i did reserved on some of the GAL19 @97w. i think it is an EPG issue. when i tried to record with a rec button it spits out something about channel message.
thanks

Well it's certainly not an EPG issue, since the vast majority of FTA channels don't have any EPG, and that includes the PBS channels.

Q Did you have the time set on your receiver?
Q Have you tried other USB drives?
Q Have you tried rebooting prior to trying the recording?
Q Were you recording the HD channel or one of the SD channels?

I have sucessfully used this feature, but I also was unsucessful on several occasions. Seems like the Azbox sometimes just doesn't like some devices. Like my thumb drive will record for a while, then quits. Last time I tried, I noticed that the time was set wrong such that I think the actual time was after the reserved time, so nothing happened. . When I changed the time, I went out of the setup menu, then back in, and the time had reverted back to where it was before, so I changed it again, but this time I did a power cycle reboot, which did work to change the time. Went back and did the record, and it worked for a while then quit I changed to a regular HDD, and it worked fine.

But I have had several times when I couldn't record, or it only recorded for a couple minutes like above with the thumb drive, and I blame that on media errors. I almost never use the record feature, I only have done it a couple times just to prove that it can work, but I know that other members here do use it, so they know more about it than I do.

Most of the test recordings I've done have been SD. The PBS HD channel should be doable, ie under the 20 mbps limit, but maybe not, particularly if you have errors. I can't try that one now because my Elite is only connected to C-band at the current time.
I asked if you tried other drives even though you said you had recorded before, because I had previously recorded sucessfully on my thumbdrive, and then some error occurred, and since then it doesn't want to record on that drive, but will record on a regular USB hard drive.

But anyway, check the time on your computer. If somehow the time got changed, I think that would explain your issue.

EDIT: I just tried recording the PBS HD on AMC1 C-band, and it recorded OK. It's not quite as high a bitrate as that on AMC21, but it's pretty close. At least that should rule out some problem related to the PBS channels being in ATSC format somehow messing up the Azbox.
EDIT2: Ignore the stuff about ATSC. I see that the AMC1 PBS feed is regular DVB. The AMC21 stuff, I'm not sure of. I think sometimes it shows signs of being in ATSC mode, but at least now, the HD channels don't have any of the ATSC related PIDs, so I'm confused. I'm sure that I've seen some PBS feeds showing ATSC style PIDs, but I just checked NET HD on G28, and it's regular DVB too, so I don't know.

Last edited:
thanks

I have the same unit and f/w and have recorded PBS on 125W successfully. Before

Some people do have issues with reserved recordings, if you have an account the following link has some information about this.

Login

It discusses problems with the azbox in standby mode and recording.( hard dive spin up latency)
I solved any potential problems by just leaving the azbox "on" all the time.
I never experienced the corrupted files as other have.(which is also discussed)

BTW I use the hardware acceleration option,otherwise the high bitrate feeds don't record very well.

Not sure if your problem falls under any category listed in that thread.

Casey,

I have had excellent luck recording all signals from 125.0°W with my AZBox Premium. The only problem I have found so far (and I can live with this) is within the first second or two of the recording, it seems to skip or drop out for a split second. I think that this is a problem with the HDD waking up when the record event starts (I have the HDD set to go into sleep mode after 10 minutes) so the HDD has to run up when the record event starts, I think it is a little slow here, but it isn't a problem, just a minor "glitch".

I normally use the internal HDD, but I have also used an external USB HDD drive (not a thumb drive but a 500 GB or larger HDD). I have formatted these drives with EXT3 (allowing the AZBox to do the formatting in Linux) but I have also formatted a HDD with FAT32 and recorded on that one, too.

As B.J. stated, it certainly is not an EPG issue, so you can rule that out totally.

I have also tested my event recording by setting the motorized dish to a totally different satellite from the sat that I want to record and it wakes up, drives to the appropriate sat at the appropriate time and starts recording right on cue. I have been setting the record time a little ahead (using some estimation of dish travel time) and it seems to work out fine. I need to experiment further to see if it can do it right on cue without me assisting it. I wonder if it will prepare to record a show on 125.0°W in time if I leave the system parked at 30.0°W. That's a long way to travel and I am wondering if the AZBox's programming will accomodate that automatically, opposed to me setting it up in advance.

The worst recording error I have experienced is total time. Let's say even a SD signal... If I try to record too long, no matter what the mode is, it seems to die on me. It logs a recording event, but there is nothing to watch. I am not sure of the total length, but I know that over four hours screws it up. If I want to record a whole days programming, I have to set multiple recording episodes individually, two - three hours duration is always ok. Somewhere beyond that seems to foul it up.

I don't know if what I say to you here helps you in your situation, but I am trying. We are all still trying to learn all the ins and outs of these AZBoxes and attempting to find work arounds for all the glitches. I hope that you will stick to the mustard and keep trying along with the rest of us. Someday we might figure it all out and then we can be happy. :)

Good luck for now, and please keep trying!

RADAR

fixed!

OK guys, i sorted it out. i noticed there is no info about tps like SR, frequency, etc.... on 125w sat. i rescanned it and now i can record everything SD and HD on this sat. TPs info on AMC21 was gone for unknown reason. when i tried direct record i got "do not use channel" message. thanks

TP shows "locked!" but no channel shows up

DVD Transfer To MOVIE file folder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)