Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Since the DirecTV & AT&T Merger it seems that retention offers have pretty much disappeared. I think the offers are now mainly for people that are out of contract.

Well, again to be fair, that second year is a crap shoot. You have a two year deal but only the customer is locked into it.

That said, if you don't ask, the answer is always no. :)

Reactions: bobvick
I am out of contract and I am definitelly fed up to pay 150+ $ a month for the all inlcusive package that I am honestly not even using. Rarely watch any movies ( I stream them ) and most the channels I use are offered with the basic package. What should I ask ?

well, you're first priority should be to find the programming package that's appropriate for you. should be able to do that yourself online. then when you call in so long as you are in good standing you can probably get at least $10 or $20 a month for a year, maybe more. and they may have 1 year contracts available if you're not changing receivers at all. just remember, you dont have to be mean to get a good deal, just hold your ground and be prepared to follow through if you don't think you're getting a good deal. remember, the voice on the other end of the phone belongs to a person too :).

Reactions: Annie61
I am out of contract and I am definitelly fed up to pay 150+ $ a month for the all inlcusive package that I am honestly not even using. Rarely watch any movies ( I stream them ) and most the channels I use are offered with the basic package. What should I ask ?
The Current NEW package gives you 2 years price freeze, instead of 1st year great prices and 2nd jump tremendously ...

New subs only of course.

I thought the second year lock in was only if you bundle ATT services as well. I was tempted but moving four mobile lines over from VZW was just too big a pain to make it worth it.

Reactions: jcanavera
I called in two weeks ago and talked to retention. I was out of contract and they gave me $40 off a month for a year along with 4 months of Showtime and 3 months of HBO. No hassle at all, customer since 2001.

Reactions: Annie61
Call them up and tell them you would like to change your programming package because this one is too expensive. They will help you choose a less expensive one and might give you a bonus discount as well.

Make sure you talk to retention, the first line CSR's can't give you much. Just say cancel twice and you will be routed to retention automatically.

Ask for a down grade.

Since the DirecTV & AT&T Merger it seems that retention offers have pretty much disappeared. I think the offers are now mainly for people that are out of contract.
As others have commented, yes, most retention offers are, by definition, for those outside of a contract. After all, they are already retaining you by your being under a contract, therefore there is no enticement on DirecTV's part to keep you in the position you're in other than the "damages" you'd pay to terminate early.

Of course, and similarly to what others have said, there's always a chance that the metrics of your account (e.g.: length of subscription to DirecTV, perhaps number of complaints, perhaps number of other issues, who knows what else, etc.) would allow the system to open discounts that wouldn't apply to others.

I do know for a fact that I was offered up to $40/month credit on my account -- with the proviso that I re-upped a two-year deal, so apparently these credits can range all over the place. Then again, I've been with DirecTV for well over a decade.

tl;dr: Mileage always varies; not calling guarantees no response.

Stupid me just got a wireless client a week before my contract was up...I should have waited a week and asked for deals...Now I am in a 2 year contract again...DUH!
Don't beat yourself up ... if you waited a week and got the same equipment, you'd be back in a commitment regardless.

As for a better deal than what you got ... maybe , maybe not ... they may have seen you were close and offered you the same seeing you were close when you inquired.

Everyone is different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)