Reviews for DVD HDD Recorders

I just wanna read about the different models, basically.. I don't know what I want in one because I really don't know much about these recorders.. Thanks

If you're looking for a stand alone, no subscription DVR, (We've got 3) the Polaroid DRM-2001G is a steal for $210 at Wal-Mart. It has componenet in, 80 gig drive that you can easily (plug and play) to 500 gig! The documentation is in chinglish but it's a great DVR for the price.

It's only mono if you feed it a RF input. I use S-vid or Componenet with L+R audio. The others are a Panny DMR-E85 and a Toshiba RD-xs32.

The Toshiba has the best PQ and most extensive menus. The Polariod has very vood PQ and is versatile as all get out, and easily upgradeable. The Panasonic comes in 3rd.

Digital Dude said:
If you're looking for a stand alone, no subscription DVR, (We've got 3) the Polaroid DRM-2001G is a steal for $210 at Wal-Mart. It has componenet in, 80 gig drive that you can easily (plug and play) to 500 gig! The documentation is in chinglish but it's a great DVR for the price.

agreed!

Have one and like it. I also have a Accuran (think thats the name...Rat Shack sells them) which I like better than the Poloroid. Use the Accuran for my Dish/StarChoice setup and Poloroid for FTA

2 reasons I like the Accuran better
1. I can split and merge segments together on the Accuran. Poloroid I can split but not remerge
2. The poloroid when you play back a program sotred on the hard drive and you have edits (commercials) hidden, right when it gets to the commercial part it freezes. The Accuran blends it together :)

Things i like on the poloroid
-1 hour buffer automatuically (you can turn it off)
-you can scroll back, hit record, got to the end and it will dump the program into a file.

Another issue I found is if you need to record something longer than 3 hours, turn the buffer off or it will put it as 2 programs (3 hours and then the rest)

Yes thats the one...holy crap its on clearance. I paid more for mine

as for the tuner, I don't know. I have both the S-Video and 2nd a/v plugs used :)

Accurian must be Radio Shack's house brand now..

I'm gonna keep an eye on it and maybe it'll go on sale some time before Christmas..

With this I could watch and record the new local CW station coming next week, since it's digital..

It's also good to know someone that has one and likes it..

love mine...just got done splitting & merging a few things together. One of the things stored on the hard drive is various screen shots from FTA feeds and I merge them to one big file :)

BKP said:

Yes:

RadioShack's current proprietary brands include Presidian (audio and video equipment), Accurian (audio equipment and video equipment), Optimus (digital imaging products) and Enercell (batteries and power accessories). Discontinued brands include Realistic (sound equipment), and Archer (wiring and antennas).

BKP said:

I'm gonna keep an eye on it and maybe it'll go on sale some time before Christmas..

With this I could watch and record the new local CW station coming next week, since it's digital..

It's also good to know someone that has one and likes it..

BKP..these are on clearance. When they gone, they gone

Just picked up my 2nd one tonight :)

Iceberg said:
BKP..these are on clearance. When they gone, they gone

Just picked up my 2nd one tonight :)

Oh man... Where did you see that - in store.. The webpage didn't say anything.. So, you're saying Radio Shack isn't going to carry that model anymore..

And I'm basically broke.. Had to spend all my satellite money to get my septic system fixed..

Could you put a bigger hard drive in one of these Accurians..

the webpage says "quanities limited" and the price ends in .97
Thats usually a dead giveaway Rat Shack is closing them out (I worked in one from 93-97). Plus in the store the tag said clearance

Okay... I did see quantities limited but, that really didn't mean anything to me.. They have an above average product with a nice price and great reviews and they're dumping it, Hahaha..

I would like to clarify something...I am looking into getting either the Poloroid or Accurain (only have open-box at RS). Am I correct in saying that neither one will record in HD? Is there a cost effective HDD that will record HD?

Also, I was just going to get a DVD recorder, but is there a true advantage to having a DVDR/HDD? Can I record two shows at once? Will I be able to view the programming schedule through my E* VIP 211?

mceagle555 said:
I would like to clarify something...I am looking into getting either the Poloroid or Accurain (only have open-box at RS). Am I correct in saying that neither one will record in HD? Is there a cost effective HDD that will record HD?
correct. SD only

Also, I was just going to get a DVD recorder, but is there a true advantage to having a DVDR/HDD? Can I record two shows at once? Will I be able to view the programming schedule through my E* VIP 211?
I record a few TV series and hockey games. With the HDD, I can record it to the Hard Drive, edit out commercials and burn to a DVD.

It only records one thing at a time and you can record it to either the HDD or a DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)