Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pros:
Fast Blind Scan - DVB & DVB-S2...faster than my Coolsat
No need for DVB-S2 FEC and Pilot, just need Freq - Polarity - Scan Rate
Motor is spot on both Diseqc 1.2 and USALS
63 motor settings for Diseqc 1.2 (some receivers only have 20-25)

Cons:
Motor will not move if you select a Horizontal Transponder...edit: found a workaround. Select a V transponder channel and the dish moves. Then select a H transponder on same satellite and it will still move. You just can't make the motor "start" on a H transponder
If you use a motor you can only use one LNB. The switch options are basically turned off for a motor
No 4:2:2 support...get a gobbly gook screen
Will not play AC-3 audio through HDMI or RCA cables. Will play through coaxial plug

Also the high-bitrate stutter issue, which (for me) is big...

I suppose feedbacks are given to DVBworld or he could'v read here? Let's see how "gung ho" quoting Ice, they can get the fixes rolling. Hope it is not like the Az, owners are now in a mutiny mood, not encouraging for prospective buyers like me.

I suppose feedbacks are given to DVBworld or he could'v read here? Let's see how "gung ho" quoting Ice, they can get the fixes rolling. Hope it is not like the Az, owners are now in a mutiny mood, not encouraging for prospective buyers like me.

I wouldn't describe AZbox owners as in "mutiny" mode. :)
It's still the best receiver ever made, imperfect as it is. I'm waiting for the SatHawk to get cleaned up, too, but it's no skin off my back if it stays broke. Give them some time, you don't have any money invested in it.

Good deal Ice,

I just missed the first round of the Sathawks. Still waiting on mine but I will not
cancel my order. Still is not that bad of a deal for a receiver that blind scans S2
as well as has been noted. I still like my Azbox too. It just keep getting better.
I also noticed after reading all these posts on the AC3,
I have my AxBox going to the Vizio TV with HDMI cable. From the TV to the A/V
receiver with S/PDIF. On a PBS AC3 channel, when I Set the Axbox to PCM the
A/V rcvr shows digital, when I set the Axbox to RAW, the A/V rcvr shows Dolby
Digital. You can also hear the difference. Just wanted to note an observation.

Does anyone remember how many updates the AZbox went through to get to today's level?

I think the SatHawk hit the ground running and hopefully with your feedback, improvements will come.

I wouldn't describe AZbox owners as in "mutiny" mode. :)
It's still the best receiver ever made, imperfect as it is.

Concur. I just installed my second Azbox today. Only thing its missing is Blind scan, for my uses, because I care not about recording, only viewing. But I do understand where that may be an issue for others.:D

As far as I am concerned Jamal is to be lauded, not pilloried, because he had the guts to bring what we've been pleading for for years. Its up to us to help them make it what we need it to be. Because nobody else is stepping up to make it so.

I intend to buy one as soon as funds are available, and Sadoun has them back in stock.

I'll be glad to help with development. :up

Does anyone remember how many updates the AZbox went through to get to today's level?
From what I can remember, the AZBox was basically working out of the Box. :)
It could control a motor and switch at the same time, and play all formats as advertised, and a way to edit and save channel lists. You know, the Basic Stuff. :)
4:2:2 was just a bonus, that was improved. Now it's not perfect even as of yet, but it did function.
So, it's not quite a fair comparison.
Now, once the New Year Holiday is over in China, maybe we'll see some improvements. :)

all i know is valentines day is coming and the wife ask me what i wanted,
you guessed it (Sathawk)
as she rolls her eyes LOL

Hey I'll be glad just to see some S-2 stuff. For the price it's a hard unit to beat sounds like. My name is on the list for one from the second batch. Hats off to Jamal for doing all he's doing to get new products. Blind:)

thanks to you Jamal

As far as I am concerned Jamal is to be lauded, not pilloried, because he had the guts to bring what we've been pleading for for years. Its up to us to help them make it what we need it to be. Because nobody else is stepping up to make it so.

for sure NO boxes came out for NA last year.
thanks to you Jamal for stepping up. hope you make some $$ lol

these minor troubles will be fixed i hope.
if they can get it to do 4:2:2 everyone will want one me too

From what I can remember, the AZBox was basically working out of the Box. :)
:)

watch everything with the same firmware(2880) from the time i got it(8-09)

4:2:2 was just a bonus, :)

only reason i bought it

It's still the best receiver ever made, imperfect as it is.

i can't say that.
it will not find me Anything to watch. really important for me in a box.

Last edited:
I got a PM from dvbworld that they have submitted the new software update which fixes the motor for sure. I have asked both dvbworld & Sadoun for a copy of it or maybe they can post it here

Hopefully the manufacturer will eventually set up a site to download firmware updates from. It would be nice if we could download them directly to the box through the ethernet connection, but I have no idea whether there's enough memory to allow that.

I did run a packet sniffer on the network a few days ago to see if the box was trying to do anything, but the only traffic I saw other than routine arp handshaking was at boot time. It looks for a bootp server, but I don't know if it's actually trying to load software or whether that's just part of the dhcp negotiations. Some network guru will have to look at it. As I posted when I first got the box, I did a port scan and the only port open was 110, which is weird because that's pop3, but my Dish 622 also has 110 open, so I have no clue what's up with that.

Quick poll:

After you've scanned a satellite, if you exit from the menus, do you end up:

1) with the All Satellites channel list in effect

or

2) with the list for only the satellite you've just scanned?

Reason I'm asking?

Because mine started out with behavior (2), but today, after adding another satellite, it's suddenly doing behavior (1), and I don't like it.

I'm getting behaviour one and its annoying. Now that you bring it up It seems to me that it didn't always do that but I'll have to wipe clean again and start over, I do that almost every day anyway.

I'm getting behaviour one and its annoying. Now that you bring it up It seems to me that it didn't always do that but I'll have to wipe clean again and start over, I do that almost every day anyway.

I discovered something, I think:

If I back out of the menus with the Menu key, I get behavior 1. If I back out of the menus with the Exit key, I get behavior 2. BUT, I could swear that I used to get behavior 2 with the Menu key also!

Quick poll:

After you've scanned a satellite, if you exit from the menus, do you end up:

1) with the All Satellites channel list in effect

or

2) with the list for only the satellite you've just scanned?

Reason I'm asking?

Because mine started out with behavior (2), but today, after adding another satellite, it's suddenly doing behavior (1), and I don't like it.

Mine ends up after a blind scan with option 1 but starts at the last channel I scanned in. So if I blind scan 91W I end up with a channel list like this

channels from 72W to 89W
The 3 "test" channels on 12050
channels from 93-125W
the new channels I scanned in from 91

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone ever have a problem with floating platforms messing up the dish?

Royal Pain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts