RG-6 connectors

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
It's been awhile since I did this so I consulted 4 youtube videos and I still can't get a universal RG-6 compression connector to go on standard or quad shield RG-6 cable. the 1/4 inch length for the center conductor seems appropriate but the 1/4 inch cut back on the sheath seems inadequate. No matter how much force I use I can't get the connector to go on per the videos. I've attached an image of the cable that I trimmed - sorry but I couldn't get the image to rotate.
20230606_151932.jpg

It's been awhile since I did this so I consulted 4 youtube videos and I still can't get a universal RG-6 compression connector to go on standard or quad shield RG-6 cable. the 1/4 inch length for the center conductor seems appropriate but the 1/4 inch cut back on the sheath seems inadequate. No matter how much force I use I can't get the connector to go on per the videos. I've attached an image of the cable that I trimmed - sorry but I couldn't get the image to rotate.View attachment 162582
I see your issue, easy fix, warm the cable up and use a lighter some RG6 can be very tight to work with, that was the trick I used, it always worked for me. I'm a none smoker who would carry a lighter on me, in very cold weather it was always needed old RG6 gets hard

It's been awhile since I did this so I consulted 4 youtube videos and I still can't get a universal RG-6 compression connector to go on standard or quad shield RG-6 cable. the 1/4 inch length for the center conductor seems appropriate but the 1/4 inch cut back on the sheath seems inadequate. No matter how much force I use I can't get the connector to go on per the videos. I've attached an image of the cable that I trimmed - sorry but I couldn't get the image to rotate.View attachment 162582
Never heard of a "universal coax connector". Quad shield is larger than regular Rg-6, you need a larger connector for that, made specifically for quad shield.

Reactions: navychop
Never heard of a "universal coax connector". Quad shield is larger than regular Rg-6, you need a larger connector for that, made specifically for quad shield.
Universal connectors are suppose to fit RG-6/RG-6Q.

Well, it doesn't fit for you, so something is wrong. I suggest it's the wrong connector. Maybe they sent you the wrong one, who knows. Get the specific one for the specific cable, is my best advice.
The connectors are Ideal part#92-651 if you're interested. Too bad there aren't any local electronics stores around anymore. But I shouldn't have to guess as to what works. These connectors don't work on standard RG-6, also, which is smaller diameter. I guess I'll just buy factory made cable and hope it's good quality.

The connectors are Ideal part#92-651 if you're interested. Too bad there aren't any local electronics stores around anymore. But I shouldn't have to guess as to what works. These connectors don't work on standard RG-6, also, which is smaller diameter. I guess I'll just buy factory made cable and hope it's good quality.
I use a mini channellocks pliers to help put on my Rg-6q connectors. It's possible to hold the coax tight enough in one hand, while lightly twisting the connector down to the proper point to then use the compression tool on it.

I looked up that part number, and it also says this: "Fits 60% regular, tri-shield and quad-shield cables"

Is your coax 60/40 braid?

I see your issue, easy fix, warm the cable up and use a lighter some RG6 can be very tight to work with, that was the trick I used, it always worked for me. I'm a none smoker who would carry a lighter on me, in very cold weather it was always needed old RG6 gets hard
same, I find that some coax jackets are very stiff and I just gently warm them up with a heatgun to slightly soften the jacket

Reactions: (((Garyd)))
same, I find that some coax jackets are very stiff and I just gently warm them up with a heatgun to slightly soften the jacket
Back in 1969, I was working at a place where we had girls sit with hot plates and boil water to heat the RG58 up, to get the connectors onto jumper cables and the hot water poured onto the girl's major lawsuit the place went out of business changed names

• Wow
Reactions: FTA4PA and Brct203
Universal connectors are suppose to fit RG-6/RG-6Q.

Universal = fits nothing

Gary's suggestion of heating up the coax is solid, but at room temperature shouldn't be necessary if you have the correct connectors. Now in the winter, different story. Coax turns to hard plastic in the winter, not fun to work with.

Reactions: (((Garyd)))
I use a mini channellocks pliers to help put on my Rg-6q connectors. It's possible to hold the coax tight enough in one hand, while lightly twisting the connector down to the proper point to then use the compression tool on it.

I looked up that part number, and it also says this: "Fits 60% regular, tri-shield and quad-shield cables"

Is your coax 60/40 braid?
Yes.

Universal = fits nothing

Gary's suggestion of heating up the coax is solid, but at room temperature shouldn't be necessary if you have the correct connectors. Now in the winter, different story. Coax turns to hard plastic in the winter, not fun to work with.
My right thumb joint is 3 times bigger now from pushing the crap on

As a former distributor for PICO MACOM, and heavy user of Quad, Tri Shield, and Dual RG-6 (foil/braid) cable during the 1980 to 2010 period, I remember specific sizes for each cable.

F56-324 was for dual RG-6 (typically braid and a layer of foil)
F56-342 was for Quad RG-6 (two layers of braid and two layers of foil)
F56-357 was suggested for flooded Quad RG-6 (same as Quad, but a layer of sticky waterproofing made it nearly impossible to slip on a 342 type connector.

I have same issues working in below freezing weather, but relied on a hair dryer or other electric heat gun to
make it workable to slide on a connector.

Part of the problem may be the use of crappy Chinese made cable that is often the only choice offered at big box stores. I specified Times 2260 and an equivalent number when using Belden cable.
These were made in the USA, and usually available at cable TV suppliers.
If using former satellite ribbon cable, I tried F56-324 first, but if it was high quality the F56-342 was sometimes a better match.

Check out Holland Electronics in Ventura, California for a full selection of connectors including the above.
When they were still made, I used an RTC-360 crimper to form a tapered 360 degree crimp with these one piece connectors. They are hard to find nowadays, but if you could find one, it would reduce the need to consider snap and seal type connectors, which are quite costly.

A cable stripper specifically for RG-6 is highly recommended. Just make sure it is set up properly and has sharp razor blades inside.

Add to the confusion, not all RG-6 is created equal. Some have soft flexible jackets and some have very stiff jackets. Then beware of connectors made in China, they can be tight fitting or not. Recently I have found that heating the coax to soften it works well for me. And quad does require a connector specific for quad. And I only use compression fittings.

A rep for truCable says their connectors will work for any RG-6 without doing anything to the shield or braid. So, I ordered a package of 10 to see if they'll work out like he said.