Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm going to let the dust settle. Not make any two year commitments until I see what Direct is going to offer HD wise. If I don't have a good feeling about what I see going on at that time. I will possibly make a change.

I hope that Verizon will have their thing going and I will take a long look at that before making any decisions on anything.

I have Verizon F/Optic DSL. Verizon cell phone service. Verizon home phone service. Wouldn't be hard to get the whole package. If what they have is comparable or better than what *d has to offer at the time.

From what little I see about their TV service. It looks like they might offer a lot of choices. Will have to wait on the sidelines and see.

DIRECTV's 2 yr commitment, which starts on 8/1/05 for all advanced product hardware purchases is completely cancelable with no penalty if you return the advanced equipment if you choose to terminate early. So you have no risk in going ahead with the 2 yr. commitment whatsoever.

-Robert

Hey Robert or anyone else that can clear this up for me....

I am a long time D* with Tivo subscriber. In January I ordered and had installed a D* HD receiver. Didn't want to put out the $1000 bucks or so for the HD DRV at the time. Price drops so I start to think about it. Then on these forums I start to hear about either free or very low cost HD DVR equipment with a two year commitment. I assume that this is speculative but informed information. So the question is...Why would anyone drop 6 or 7 large on a HD DVR now if this information is accurate. I personally don't have a problem with the 2 year programming equipment because I will stick with D* for the Sunday Ticket Package. (I do have issues with the HD Lite nonscense). So where do I stand now and is there any rebate on returning or whatever my current HD receiver? It is an RCA DTC210
Thanks for clearing this up.

FlyingJ said:
Then on these forums I start to hear about either free or very low cost HD DVR equipment with a two year commitment. I assume that this is speculative but informed information.

The only thing we are hearing now, more offiically, is that there will be a $100 rebate on the HD-DVR starting Aug 1st and the price will drop to $599 before rebate. Of course, if you activate any "advanced" product you will get stuck with a 2 year commitment (regardless of any offer you received, I mean even if you buy the thing off eBay).

It seems this $100 rebate might be the "aggressive fall offer" they are billing. It's possible I'm wrong, but that's what it appears like now.

Seems like eventually you will see HD DVRs given away like SD Tivos are today, but I think that maybe at least a year or two off. That's just my uninformed guess though.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV's 2 yr commitment, which starts on 8/1/05 for all advanced product hardware purchases is completely cancelable with no penalty if you return the advanced equipment if you choose to terminate early.
So here's my question, If I buy the HD-DVR and activate it... then a month later I get a the R15 and activate it do I give both back if I leave early?

hoopsbwc34 said:
So here's my question, If I buy the HD-DVR and activate it... then a month later I get a the R15 and activate it do I give both back if I leave early?

The only thing we are hearing now, more offiically, is that there will be a $100 rebate on the HD-DVR starting Aug 1st and the price will drop to $599 before rebate. Of course, if you activate any "advanced" product you will get stuck with a 2 year commitment (regardless of any offer you received, I mean even if you buy the thing off eBay).

It seems this $100 rebate might be the "aggressive fall offer" they are billing. It's possible I'm wrong, but that's what it appears like now.

Depends on when you want to terminate the programming agreement. Each time you activate a advanced products you will agree to a new 2 yr. term.

If you buy a advanced product on 8/1/05 your agreement goes through 8/1/07. If you buy another advanced product on 9/1/05 your programming agreement will expire on 9/1/07. If you terminate one month early you would only owe one advanced product to avoid any termination fee. The early termination fee starts off at $300 and goes down 1/24 each month.

Well not exactly, how about the $100 MAP lower selling price and $100 HDTV combo discount, not to mention your sponsors exclusive forum discounts and other benefits.

If you just add the $100 rebate and MAP reduction you have a $200 immediate savings. The 8/1/05 $499 or less selling price for our beloved HD DVR is down considerably from it's very recent $999.99 selling price.

-Robert

Come 8/1 I predict I'll be in, adding to that my $150 off credit and additional programming credits I got from Customer Retention. Of course I'll need the $49 installation, but it looks like I can get the whole thing under $400 at the end of the day.

BUT..... it may or may not be for free, no one knows YET if DirecTV will be taking into account the length of service or anything else because there has been no official release of info.

Confused...

Ok, I need some advice here...

I just purchased my first HDTV yesterday and up to this point have only a SD-Tivo on D*. My contract with D* runs out August 27th.

What would you suggest I do? Sign up for HD now?... wait until after August 1st? Should I cancel service now, and then resubscribe under my wife's name after 8/1 to take advantage of any "new customer" plans?

Although I am eager to start into HD, I am not against holding for a while to get the best deal.

Also, I live in Minneapolis-St. Paul, which I believe is #14 on the list. How does that play into this whole thing?

Thanks

doober72 said:
Ok, I need some advice here...

Should I cancel service now, and then resubscribe under my wife's name after 8/1 to take advantage of any "new customer" plans?

Thanks

They look at address as well not just name.

If I were you I would just wait until after August 27th, by then the new MPEG 4 boxes should be out and then you would get a better deal and wouldn't have to switch out your box later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)