Sac, CA Local (FOX) - Fade

Voom3814

Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Help! Anyone have any ideas....
Recently "lost" local Fox affiliate. I'm 20miles and clear path from the source and haven't had any real problems with the locals. Due to recent rain fade on Satellite channels been watching more local network stuff.

I get what looks to me like rain fade on the local channel - but not quite - the signal is more continuous. I thought it may be on Fox's end, but waiting patiently for 3 days has brought nothing new.
Signal strength: constant 93, but bounces to 81 now and then.

Any thoughts on dealing with the local - I hate to have Voom send an installer if there is something I can do or try. I do need to have a bigger dish installed for the rain fade...

Thanks!
cam

Voom3814, I'm just up the road in Rocklin. What type of OTA do you have? I have an amplified Winegard HD7210 upgraded antenna. Haven't watched anything on Fox, so can't help there. KCRA and KQED give me the same types of problems, and I occasionaly have problems on other locals. What strikes me a totally weird is that early mornings and in the evening, I usually can't get a signal for those two at all. Mid-days it's usually OK, with fade and drop occasionally. I'm starting to think I need advice from a meterorologist. :) :confused:

I have the 24" dish, and have only experienced one very brief problem period on satellite channels (which was also actually weird, as it wasn't raining heavily at that time).

If you are going to ask them to send the larger dish, I'd go ahead and request an upgraded OTA at the same time...unless one of the more technical types here can recommend something to try. Vicki :)

thanks Vicki

Thanks for your input.

I shouldn't need a new antenna, unless perhaps the internal amp blew out.
I get signal strengths in the mid-90s - very strong. Heck rabit ears do the trick...the Walnut Grove towers are 15-20 miles away.

The odd thing is the strong signal strength with what looks like "rain fade" - the picture looks almost like there is a huge tree blowing back an forth in front of the signal, but that wont be a problem with a UHF wave...and there aren't any trees around.

cam

oh yea, sorry

KCRA and KQCA are the weekest signals in the area and are in a bit of a different direction than the rest of the signals. That explains why they come in the worst. Why they fade in and out? Maybe they the power on and off depending on oil prices :) I just don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts