Samsung: "Blu-ray has 5 years left"

I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for the Ultimate Collection on HD-DVD, also. It's still 81.99 on Amazon. Just the movies themselves was less.

S~

That's the other thing...VOD and online rentals.

VOD (1080p or not) is just plain absurdly expensive. I won't touch it. If they had stuff for .99 or free, then sure, I might do that, but at it's present price, no chance.

PPV - same issue.

Online rentals - same issue.

If I were a "one watcher" (and sure, a lot of movies are "one watchers")
I'd say well over 90% of movies are "one watchers" which makes a $4.99 VOD a much better bang for the buck then buying an expensive one watch BD purchase. Hang in there buddy I predict services like Netflix will have the Watch Now feature in HD soon.

I agree at least 90% of movies being released today at least fall into the "watch once" category. There's a lot I don't even want to waste time watching at all. Even with that, if I actually bought everything in that top 10 percentile, my BD collection would already be pretty large.

I won't buy a movie on Blu-ray unless I know up front I'll watch it at least half a dozen times or more. If I only watch it once or perhaps twice then it just ends up being a waste of money; it would be more cost-friendly to just rent it.

And that's what I'm doing with most BDs of interest -just renting them.

There's quite a few DVDs in my collection that I've watched only once or twice. Now they're just taking up shelf space asking to be sold at a garage sale or something. Some were "blind buys" of movies I'd never seen. A few are highly acclaimed classics I thought were important enough to buy. Some DVDs were discounted enough that I couldn't pass up the deal. Trouble is, if you spend $5 or $7 on a bargain bin DVD and only watch it once, you might as well have bought a movie ticket when it was in the theaters.

I'm trying to not make the same mistakes in building up my Blu-ray Disc collection. I say "trying" because I bought my PS3 in January and already have 25 movies on BD, with 2 more on order from Amazon (the Kill Bill volumes). 5 of those BDs came free with the PS3.

...Trouble is, if you spend $5 or $7 on a bargain bin DVD and only watch it once, you might as well have bought a movie ticket when it was in the theaters.....

You must go to some very cheap theaters. :p

Ticket prices at the theater I most often visit (the Carmike 8 in Lawton, OK) are as follows:
$8.50 evening
$6.50 matinee
$5.25 super saver (all shows between 4pm & 6pm)

The theater has 2K digital projection, stadium seating and LPCM 5.1 surround sound in all 8 theaters. 3 of the theaters are equipped for Real-D. 2 of the theaters also have 35mm film projection alongside 3-chip DLP. Audio for 35mm shows is DTS 5.1.

So I have a better setup and my floors aren't sticky. AND I save money and have a better overall experience.

The appeal of the theater, for me, has diminished greatly. It's especially dropped in the last year with blu-ray becoming more available, a great tv and good audio equipment.

Hard to beat crawling up in my big comfy chair with my dog and relaxing for a nice flick. I can get up and make popcorn and grab a drink, plus pause it when I need to.

It sounds as though he has a pretty nice theater with not so bad a price. My biggest issue now, is buying a blu-ray is about the same as a movie trip. I get more enjoyment out of viewing at home, and I can stand to wait the 3 mo's till it comes out on blu disc. The summer was rough because its when I really stopped going (watched only Iron Man, Batman and recently Death Race) and there were some good ones, but they are all now getting ready to start being released so I have a steady stream of new release pre orders on Amazon.

Anyways, the wifes working late tonight so me and the pooch are halfway thru Aliens: The Directors Cut(fav movie of all time) dvd, time to get back to it :D

You mean you're not watching the Charlie Chat?

Gee. Unfaithful, but not missing anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts