Satellite AV Contest - GEOSATpro microHD - Enter to Win - Drawing on 6/11/2012

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My aunt always send my cousin to my house so my mom would take care of him (because my aunt worked and my mom doesn't :p ). And we played all day, we rode our bikes, were in the little pool, played SNES, and also played soccer and baseball outside with the neighbors

Favorite memories are camping in the little county park, very desolite. No electric, tv, phone, not even running water. Spend a few days watching dad cook that way and learned a ton. Now I try to give my kids a similiar experience each summer, though I've softened over the years, using a travel trailer, power, water, and satellite television.

When you live within walking distance of the river that the headwaters are flowing off of the highest mountain in the Eastern US then it had to be swimming. My mother gathered up all the local neighborhood kids and we went swimming at the "old dam." Here in the mountains the summers didn't usually get sweltering hot, but that cool mountain water sure felt good in the middle of July. And it served well for tubing several miles, and provided a lot of good trout fishing.

I remmenber that I would steal the paper from the out house when I knew my brother was be heading that way. Boy, did that cause prblems from Mom and Dad. Or maybe take the batteries form the old Ray-O-Vac flaslight before heading to the out house at night. Good memories !

Growing up in the 70's was still a joy unlike today or even the 90's. One could take his or her bike in the summer time and ride forever without fear of being raped and/or murdered. These are the memories I have of summer time. Going to a closed down bridge over the Huron river in Oakland county miles from home and staying the whole day. Building tree forts in the woods or riding the bike into town to go to the Dime and Cent [ D&C ]. The only thing I had to say to my mom was see you at dinner time.

Wow! this would be considered child abuse today. So sad! :confused:

Many, many years ago.....

It was just great to be out of school and have all day to play with friends. Living three blocks from Lake Michigan, it was a short trip to get a great place to swim. It must have been warmer back then or being a kid I could not feel the cold. Here we are today, the first of June and it is 46 degrees. Cold, cold Michigan. But we did have lots of fun. Being a kid was great: Nothing to worry about! Wish I could go back and start over.......

Ted.

My favorite memory is going down to the creek in front of our cabin on Mt. Rainier and tossing in my baited hook then talking to the campers in the public campground on the other side of the creek. They would tell me about the fish they were seeing and that they could not catch it. When I saw the trout come out and take my bait I would wait a few seconds before saying, "Well, if I'm not going to catch anything, I may as well go back home." I would turn slowly and reel in the fish. The shouts from the campers that I had gotten the 14" Rainbow were a kick then - I now realize how they probably felt, but I fished that hole 3 times a day.

But The REAL summer memory was one year at Bible Camp, I was flirting with a young lady at the craft class and the teacher's daughter kept getting in the way of my flirting AND even kept getting in the pictures I was trying to take of Sylvia... Made me very upset. Twenty years later, I met a beautiful, wonderful single mom, and 6 months later married her. Last week, I found the pictures from camp - with pictures of my wife of 37 years, as she helped her mother with the ceramics class.

Sure changes the view of the memories. (I did not recognize Gerrie in the pictures at first, but did see her mom. Then the light dawned.)

When I was young I climbed a lot of trees, built 2 tree houses and in middle school put a CB antenna way up in a oak tree. After the tree died went higher up in the hill and planted my first antenna pole. It is still there but it blew up from rust or a lighting strike. One day I have to drive down a take a picture of my old handy work:) Comes in handy now but no more climbing trees for me.

The swimmin' hole, many years ago, was beside the 2nd fairway behind a grove of trees. Retrieved many golf balls, at a dime or quarter each, from the creek. When 'cooled off' we'd often bike to the DQ. Our mom's wondered why we weren't hungry at dinner time on such a hot day.

I had a lot of freedom when I was a kid and I feel sorry for kids these days, whose parents are just too paranoid.I had a great time riding my banana bike around in Guelph, Ontario, just exploring or going to visit my childhood sweetheart, L.M.. At the cottage I spent endless hours with my good friend and cousin G.H., on the three metre diving board my dad built on Stoney Lake as a 1967 Centennial Project.I think idle time to let your thoughts wander is time well spent.

Going to the beach with my grandparents was always the best! Plenty on sun & fun ans always got to stay up late and go on the boardwalk to the video arcade.....great memories!

the last day of school, reruns of Tv shows that were only shown during the summer like the Monkees, Munsters, Lost in Space, the arrival of the ice cream man(the rural kind: a guy with a special freezer in the back of his pickup), riding bikes, going to Cedar Point

Summer was always street baseball. Going to the pool and at least once a week it was the Memphis Triple drive in.

Back in the 60's when my brother and I with our horses and two other friends with horses would load up the horses
and ride out to an unknown woods to go camping. I don't know what it is but you just can't have better tasting food
when cooked ouside over and open campfire. Then we would talk about all the wierd things that kids that age would
talk about, until we would go to sleep.

Summer was when my cousins came up from the south. They visited my Grandparents and we all got together there.
my parents ran long on boys and they ran long on girls but it didnt stop us from hanging out.

I developed a special bond with my cousin Cathy and we were inseparable.
Those times are not replaceable, and have never been duplicated and are gone forever. Truly a once in a lifetime thing.
There was this amazing feeling each time we had to part company. I have never felt that specific feeling ever again.
We have our own families and really do not see much of each other anymore.

She told me that she looks back on those days and misses them much just as i do.
It is the coolest memory i have of the most carefree time of my life.
if only all life could be that stress free. :)

May Dad taking me and my 5 brothers to Brielle, NJ to go salt water fishing off of the docks. I have a black and white photo on my desk of one of the outings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)