Satellite Dish Complaint - OTARD Response Letter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think that you mishandled the meeting with this lady. You just moved in this area, and - probably - she was the first person to visit you. It was good occasion to express your enchantment with satellite receiving, and also to offer volunteering with dish set-up for your neighbours. You should have agreed with her doubts about looks of your set up, assure her that you are thinking of improvement, and - by the way - try to "saddle her" with solving your problems (does she know any neighbour who would lend a ladder and drill to fasten the dish to the brick wall of your house?) People like to be approached for help, and do not like to be lectured about your credentials and importance of your Company. I think it is still time to find her, just visiting the neighbourhood, and share your doubts. Now, because I am after a few drinks, I would quote your disclaimer, that all above is just my personal opinion. Cheers, polgyver

Just say what would you rather have a guy wit a satellite dish or a meth lab next door I choose the guy with the satellite dish.

Dan rose

N4MJC, nice to meet you. ;)

No HOA. That would have been a dealbreaker for me.

Haha. See photo, attached. Taken this morning.

I made sure to get the bright blue recycling bin, which every home has in front, in the picture as well.

Maybe I won't send it... technically, I don't even have her address, she just said "two houses down," which is confusing when all the houses are duplexes. Still on the fence though.

- Trip

There is an HOA in your neighborhood?

You would think they would do something about those ugly blue trash bins infront of your house, before complaining about your satellite Dish.

I always wanted to move into a neighborhood with an HOA so I could put up a Dish just to piss someone off.

There is an HOA in your neighborhood?

You would think they would do something about those ugly blue trash bins infront of your house, before complaining about your satellite Dish.

I always wanted to move into a neighborhood with an HOA so I could put up a Dish just to piss someone off.

There is not an HOA.

for good measure, you could 'throw up' an OTA antenna. (LOL)

Already have one in the backyard, as the signals mostly come from the northeast.

I have to agree. It is a little "in your face." I can see why she complained.

You're entitled to the dish and you shouldn't be forced to do without it (and I think you won't) but you also have to live next door to these people for presumably a long time so a bit more effort now could really make your long term life easier.

If that really is the only location, can you put it closer to the ground, down the right side of the house near the fence, up against the house to the left of the door, paint it a darker color or mount it on the front of the house or roof?

I put it where the line of sight is. It's a motorized dish and I had to avoid a lot of different tree cover to be able to see the several satellites in the arc. I don't like permanent installs, like to the house, because I have never done such work and do not want to risk causing damage that I later have to pay for.

I have considered cutting my fence pole shorter and putting it somewhat lower to the ground, but otherwise don't really want to do any of the other things suggested.

I think that you mishandled the meeting with this lady. You just moved in this area, and - probably - she was the first person to visit you. It was good occasion to express your enchantment with satellite receiving, and also to offer volunteering with dish set-up for your neighbours. You should have agreed with her doubts about looks of your set up, assure her that you are thinking of improvement, and - by the way - try to "saddle her" with solving your problems (does she know any neighbour who would lend a ladder and drill to fasten the dish to the brick wall of your house?) People like to be approached for help, and do not like to be lectured about your credentials and importance of your Company. I think it is still time to find her, just visiting the neighbourhood, and share your doubts. Now, because I am after a few drinks, I would quote your disclaimer, that all above is just my personal opinion. Cheers, polgyver

She was not the first to visit, she was the fourth, and nobody else had said anything about it. Further, I attempted to explain to her that I would be changing the appearance of the dish and she was uninterested; all of her statements were that it could not stay there at all. There was no middle point for her.

I have all the social graces of a kumquat when it comes to meeting random people who aren't engineers like myself, so wandering around to visit the neighborhood would probably not go well.

- Trip

It never ceases to amaze and bewilder me how an increasing number of people in our free society believe they have the right to dictate to others what is done on private property. It is becoming a serious problem in our country, and one that is on my mind regularly since I, too, have been a victim.

People who engage in this sort of thing can dish it out but can't take it. They have to be in control of the lives of others; This is the central theme of their behavior. Therefore, if the harassment continues, try turning it around on the complaintant. For example:

"Since you feel you have the right to dictate to me what I may or may not have on my property, and will not give me permission to keep my dish, I feel it is only fair that I have the same rights with regard to your property. You have an (insert pertinent vehicle here)? Did you know that your vehicle greatly increases your carbon footprint, and as such, I cannot tolerate it in my neighborhood. Therefore, you will have to sell that vehicle. Moreover, your house is constructed in a way that is not aesthetically pleasing to me, therefore you will have to have that changed in accordance with my specifications. Once you comply with my requests, I will gladly remove my satellite dish."

Last edited:
What Tron said. Apparently the pursuit of happiness means "mine, not yours".

When we bought a house a few years back, the exact day it became ours the police showed up and said a neighbor had complained about the old tractor tire
the previous owner had left (as a flower bed), and they said it was a mosquito hazard, and they wanted it removed. As if it would never have occurred to them
that I might not want it either -- pre-judge-this!

Welcome to the neighborhood neighbor !

In retrospect I maybe should have replied that I'd like to bulldoze the neighbor's house because it is architecturally insignificant, and we can't have that !

The world is full of Gladys Kravitzes busy-body types. I'd ponder what constitutes "ghetto sh!t", and start a fine collection of "stuff" for display. But, maybe that's just me as I don't respond well to such unfounded crap.

Your letter has the following line, "To give you some background on who I am and how I wound up in your neighborhood, I was trained as an..."

I'd change "your" to "our" or "this", as that is placing her in a position of strength and is conceding on your part. I'd ignore the exchange you two had and edit down the letter (as already suggested) for use if she presses the issue. After all, the real ones to explain the requirements and laws to are those that can make things difficult for you, i.e. county or the Landlord.

Nice place, I don't see what is so bad about that blue bucket when there's already blue garbage cans all over, lol. She probably doesn't like those either. Find some old STP stickers , maybe some for Bud Light and slap those on it!

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trash bins don't stay there, do they? I'm guessing it was trash pick-up day or the day after.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Me I would throw a party and invite some of my closest friends. Then these people if they had any brains they would see that my dish should be the least of their worries. :D
Either way move on and screw them.

I would omit my employment with the FCC - a lawyer might say that was an attempt to use "government position" against a citizen. (Trust me on that one.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.