Satellite equivalent of cellular MVNO?

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
You know how cell phone companies have MVNO's? What if we had the satellite TV equivalent? Sky Angel kind of operated the same way, except they owned some transponders.

These new virtual satellite TV companies would not own any transponders but would merely resell what DISH is already broadcasting. Each "VSTV" company would still have to negotiate their own rates with each content provider such as Viacom, and would be responsible for their own advertising, sales, installation, and billing. They would also pay some kind of a fee to DISH, while Echostar could provide receivers.

I think the DISH / Echostar split makes this arrangement a lot easier, actually.

There are some benefits to this arrangement. VSTV providers don't have to make deals with everyone, and each VSTV provider would be free to cut different deals. This provides choice and benefits to the customer.

Here is one example of a benefit to some customers. Let's say, you are a customer looking for TV service. And you don't watch sports. We all know how ESPN is force-bundled into almost everyone's subscription, under the threat of losing access to ABC stations. ESPN is also the most expensive cable channel per subscriber. Maybe one VSTV company decides to just tell Disney to go to hell. They cut deals with everyone else instead, and anyone in a city with an ABC O&O gets a free antenna.

The opposite scenario is also possible - perhaps even more people may want just ESPN, and are content with OTA for other sports and general programming. Now, Disney could still force the Sports VSAT to carry ABC Family or whatever, but the provider could just market that as bonus channels. They could also cut a deal with Starz to offer that service as a premium to whoever is interested.

You could have other specialty providers as well. Perhaps one VSTV company is established exclusively to provide cable news. They may be able to convince the large media companies to sell just just their cable news stations to the provider, in exchange for the provider agreeing not to offer any other sort of content on the system.

Perhaps the receivers could be configured in such a way as to allow you to subscribe to several providers, a-la DISH/Sky Angel or DirecTV/USSB.

I realize it was a limited service, but how did that work out for AAD?

The idea isn't bad, but the two reasons it exists with cell providers are not present with Satellite providers.
1. Regulators wanted more competition with cell operators and this was one way to get it.
2. Cell operators have excess bandwidth to sell, and could sell it at a bulk discount, because the people who would be using it would not be their customers and customer service is expensive.

I don't know that DISH or AT&TDirect want another satellite provider even if they are getting some money from them. I am also not certain it is legal at this time for DISH or DIRECT to have someone else transmit from the same transponders they do even if the other company has rights from the program providers. Any of the various companies that have used DISH satellites have had their own transponders rented from DISH. But perhaps it just has never been tried.

The idea however doesn't sound impossible.

While one mentioned the law, it is also likely that the contracts with the copyright owners forbids such an arrangement. However, Dish or Echostat would still be allowed per seperate agreement to offer same channels for other types of services such as MDU via fiber or IPTV, but no 3rd parties involved for an reselling. It may even violate SHIVRA. Point made in earlier post about cell phone wireless companies requirement for comptition (PagePlus uses Verizon's network while, I believe, Consumer Direct or someone else uses AT&T's Network) is spot on. There is no such requirement for DBS sservices nor is there bandwidth to spare. FCC 's solution for more DBS competition is Tweener slots (DBS), but buh-bye Spectrum 5. Now Dish and DirecTV are allowed the Tweeners (DBS).

Reactions: Tampa8
Aren't there some small, cable companies that in fact receive their signal from Dish (or DirecTV ?) and sell to their end-users ?

Ya I thought that was on 85west and the system was very costly.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Yeah, your right it was on AMC-16. I reckon I thought they used the DBS bird since they (or Dish) already had uplinks set up. I think that was also around the time Echostar was trying to sell a "cable version" of the 922.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)