Satellite Meter for Roofers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have a friend whose son owns a roofing company in Texas. He is having trouble getting a Dish/Direct TV installer to come out on the side and refasten DBS dishes after they replace a roof. He wants to get a meter himself that would allow his guys to quickly reaim a dish without going into the house.

I presume it would have to be something that would not only show the signal/quality but also indicate which Satellite they were aiming at. They would probably have to use it before taking the dish down and make a note about which Satellite the LNB was aimed at. I would think if they get close enough to the old spot Skew would probably not change on Dual & Triple LNB's. Any ideas about equipment out there for this. Thanks.

I want a AI TURBO S2 :)

Indeed, the AI Turbo S2 cannot be beat. But... For a roofer? Seriously guys. :rolleyes:

Just teach them how to use a satellite receiver to peak in the dishes. It does take two guys and two phones, but $0 in extra hardware. I have a quick one page instructional guide up at blog.SpectraStars.com on how to peak in a dish. Just make sure the mast is plum in both directions and very secure, set the elevation and the skew, then get to the right screen on the receiver, and swing that baby around a few times until you find something! It's so easy...

I've wondered about that problem for roofers, and customers too. (I always did my own roofing in the past, but now that 3tab roofing has gotten ridiculously expensive to buy, I probably won't lol)

Indeed, the AI Turbo S2 cannot be beat. But... For a roofer? Seriously guys. :rolleyes:

Just teach them how to use a satellite receiver to peak in the dishes. It does take two guys and two phones, but $0 in extra hardware. I have a quick one page instructional guide up at blog.SpectraStars.com on how to peak in a dish. Just make sure the mast is plum in both directions and very secure, set the elevation and the skew, then get to the right screen on the receiver, and swing that baby around a few times until you find something! It's so easy...
You won't aim a DTV SWiM dish that way. Got to have a meter, and one that puts out enough voltage for anything you might run into. And the OP didn't want to have to go into the house to aim the dish.

Last edited:
If I was the roofer I would make the owner aware of the issue during the estimate and let him know that the dish will need to be re tuned after the new roof is installed. The roofer is opening a can of worms by getting involved with the dish.

Dishes shouldn't be installed on the roof anyway. Good way to get a leak started. Use a fascia or soffit mount.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks to me like the Super Buddy or for just $20 more the Super Buddy 29 would be the way to go.

ZandarKoad I also like your 1 page instructional guide but I wanted to supplement it with some diagrams of the various Dish and Direct TV dish configurations. For instance could we download PDf's of the different LNB's so that they could be accessed with a mobile device so the roofer could see what model he is working with along with the Satellite(s) involved. Is there maybe some Dish and Direct installer manuals out there with diagrams of this?

I found some manuals here http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/DOWNLOADS.htm

Does anybody know of something that is more comprehensive?

Last edited:
You won't aim a DTV SWiM dish that way. Got to have a meter, and one that puts out enough voltage for anything you might run into. And the OP didn't want to have to go into the house to aim the dish.

Ah yes, I missed that part in the OP.

But you absolutely can peak a SWiM dish that way. No meter needed.

Let's see, just how many time will you buy a replacement meter for 800 dollars after someone drops it off a roof, remember it's not their meter, your better off getting a meter like the FS1 or the Sathero meter and hope you can train them to use it correctly or do it yourself.

I always did my own roofing in the past, but now that 3tab roofing has gotten ridiculously expensive to buy, I probably won't lol

Real simple solution, install yourself a metal roof which will last you 50+ years and can cost about the same as class 4 shingles. After last year storm I replaced mind with metal.

I hear you on the cost Sergei. Birdog is another meter that has been around for a while...how does it compare. The main thing I'm looking for is a bulletproof identification of the Satellite particularily for dual and triple LNB's.

ziggy1222 said:
I hear you on the cost Sergei. Birdog is another meter that has been around for a while...how does it compare. The main thing I'm looking for is a bulletproof identification of the Satellite particularily for dual and triple LNB's.

I have a birddog it's a get dust magnet.

I would say buy a crap meter and replace them ever year. Or buy a good one once.

I see sat buddy's on CL for cheap sometimes. (not sure if they are hot)

I have pointed a SWM dish with just a receiver before. Not too hard but I would say any dish pointing is out of the realm of a roofer. I would just tell the customers that they will need to get a service tech out after the roofing is complete.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

A single LNB dish is not hard to setup, but a dual and triple one is another story. I'd either figure into your bill the cost to have the company they have service with to reinstall it or tell the customer it's their responsibility. If not installed correctly the customer may be calling you for every problem and blaming you even if it has nothing to do with the dish, it's a NO win for you.

I have pointed a SWM dish with just a receiver before. Not too hard but I would say any dish pointing is out of the realm of a roofer. I would just tell the customers that they will need to get a service tech out after the roofing is complete.

I have to agree with this. If it was the early days of a dish pointed at one bird it would be easier. However, is the roofer going to make sure that all 3 or more satellites are getting what signal they need. This is not something they know anything or enough about, and a service call would be needed anyway. Best leave it to those that know what they are doing.

I agree that the last place to put them should be on the roof. I know of an install where the "qualified" installer put the base in a valley. $10k damage to roof, insulation, and ceiling the following spring.
(A) Would suggest (require[?]) the homeowner make an appointment with the dish installers to have it moved to somewhere else other than the roof or to do the removal-re install.
If that's not an option-
(B) Get to know an installer in the area. See if they'd be willing to be "on call".
And if that's also not an option: (C) DIY.
step one) Verify operation**. Go to the tune up screen and record a few of the transponder numbers and signals on the satellites. (there's more than one satellite if dish is a multiple lnbf style) Sat-TP-Sig
Not all transponders on each satellite will show signal, some may be 0. - Unplug the receiver and inline (coax) power supply. [**If no operation - no re-install. Customer is responsible]
Step two) Check the pole plumb and record any discrepency from plumb. Also note a landmark the dish lnbf arm is aimed over. (May be helpful in re-installing)
Step three) remove dish and re-roof
Step four) re-install dish and plumb to original measurements. I wouldn't try to be in exactly the same 'spot'. Want the lags to be in 'fresh meat'.
Step five) with one person watching a transponder as recorded in step one, re-aim dish. Should only require a slight E-W twist on the pole. Check Other transponders. If readings are equal to or greater than first recorded. DONE. (Returning the pole to Plumb, if it wasn't "on", may get better signal.(?))(if it doesn't 'work out', call your 'on call' installer to bail you out.
"C" could be 'practiced' on your own, or your employees, systems. Got a dish on a dog house?

I concur with other members that taking responsibility for realigning a customers dish is not a good idea. There are so many different dishes, LNBF configurations and receivers for a roofer to learn. For that fact, many satellite installers don't even know how to set-up and configure the many types of equipment in use!

It isn't simply aiming the dish with a meter, but they will need to know how to select a specific LNB in multi-LNBF dishes and may need to perform switch tests or reactivate receivers. Either inform the customer up front that the dish will be removed and they will need to arrange for their service provider to realign or have several independent technicians on-call and pre-booked to provide same day service.

+1

With the best of intentions if anything in the AV eq list fails to work after the roofers touched the dish ....who they gonna call?

If you really want to proceed without a tech....

I would look at the ComDeck products to mount the mast so it will not leak. Also.....with a pencil mark an alignment line on the dish & mast....remove the dish and lower it by the cable or better...use a rope. Remove the mast. After roofing is done install a plumb mast with the Com Deck system and realign the pencil marks...tighten and forget it.

joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)