Satellite PCI card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slytrans69

Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
What is the best Satellite PCI card to get? I have a MyHD MDP-130 for my cable and roof antennae. I am going to buy a dish and need to know the best setup for Los Angeles. I have Windows XP Pro and 500GB hard drive spaece and 1.2GB Ram and 425 watt power supply.

I have been looking around and the Twinhan 102G and Twinhan 1030A seem to be top choices. I have been looking at at least 6 or 7 differnet brands and Twinhan seems to have the most FTA features and most people on these forums use them, so there is a lot of support here.

Find the message I wrote on ,What should should know about Twinhan before you buy.
I bought a Twinhan 102G from a guy who sells a lot of them on ebay. The guy offered no refund, no exchange. The card did not work. The person who sold it offered to sell me another for less money, but no refund, or exchange. Then I found that Twinhan does not have any repair center in the U.S.
My first bit of advice is to buy from a reputable dealer who stands behind what they sell. Before you do that, find out how long the dealer will support into the warranty period. If the card fails and is 3 months old, will they send you another? How about 6 months? Keep in mind that if you want Twinhan to fix it, it has to be shipped to them. Tehy did not offer to fix my card, only to get after the person they sold it to to support it. I gave them the serial number as they asked, then never heard from them again. The first request for help from Twinhan took more than 10 days to get a reply, and the reply was in broken English, I didn't really know what half of the message said. After several emails I did find that there wasn't any repair center in the U.S., and that they have limited resources to help customers.
The last detail I want to share is that in order for the card to work properly, it may require that the PC have a minimum of a 400 Watt supply. I purchased a bigger supply to check that out, but I have to find an adapter for it before I can plug it into my mother board. I did find that the inventory on the Nexus-s cards will pickup this week. It may cost more, but it has U.S. support, and hardware decoding. Good luck.. Joe

Thought I'd just share my experience.

I bought a Twinhan 102g off ebay (before the huge price increase). It has served me faithfully for... guess it's almost a year now. The only thing I'd really complain about is the low numbers for quality and signal, as compared to other FTA cards/receivers. Otherwise, it does a fine job. All the tv in the house house is either from OTA HD, or G10R. My Twinhan is happy in my little HTPC, run by a 320Watt power supply. When I first got it, I ran it in my home pc, which did have a 400Watt unit. I learned the art of FTA with this little card, and it works great. I'll always eye the Nexus-s a little enviously, but that insane price tag made me steer clear (and continue to, especially now :p )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)