Satelliteguys Exclusive- Yambeka 5 Speaker HT

Wow, I can't believe I read all of these posts. :) First off great thread, it really does have a legit feel to it. I am really considering ordering the 7.0 set up. If I order them I would really like to do some changes to the front towers, Basically they come with the 2 8 inch subs at the bottom sides and it would be really interesting to put a separation between the sub and the mid range woofers. This way I could add some more speaker wire connectors to make it possible to BIamp the subs. Right now I am running my sub output from my amp to my crappy HTIB amp / crappy sub, just so I can have a little bass. I would of course get a better 2 channel amp to run the new 8 inchers. Anyways my question is, Does the back of the towers seem easy to take off with a little persuasion, maybe just breaking the glue seal.

Also might be an idea for their next new line coming out ( whenever that may be ? ). :eureka

I doubt that you could get the backs off, but possibly the front could be removed. You really will need a good sub as these 8 inchers don't put out a lot of bass.

I think mine are actually sounding better then the day I got them now that they have been in constant use in the upstairs HT setup. Little break in period, they seem to sound warmer.

Hey Guys,

Long time no post, huh??

It's been a year and almost 4 months since my last post and I thought I would come by to give an update since my review of the Yambeka speakers from like page 7 of this thread.

I would agree with SatinKzo to some degree about the warming up of these speakers. I have noticed this as well, but not to say that the speakers don't still have a clear crisp sound to them, they do. And this is over a year later. I put my HT through it's paces watching alot of movies and listening to all types of music. I hjave since hooked up my Xbox to the HT and use it to play games music & movies with. All sound great with the Yambekas.

One note, these are the "original" speakers not the next gen ones that came out the first of the is year.

I actually dropped a satellite speaker in transport and just knew I had busted this speaker. Sure enough when I got it home I connected it and the speaker just would not work right. I chalked it up to stupidity on my part for moving them around...

About 2 weeks later I decided if it was ruined I might as well take the speaker out and look to see if I could repair what was broken.

After taking the speaker out of the box, I could see the problem. the basket of the speaker had bent inward and wasn't allowing the coil to extend. I got some tools out and performed the emergency operation... I am glad to report a full recovery! I placed the speaker back into the box and connected it and proceeded to do some more testing. The speaker has worked fine ever since. That was at least 6 months ago.

Yambeka speakers can take a fall from 5 feet high, land on a concret floor and with just a little TLC continue to work just like before.

When I eventually decide to replace these speakers and move them to my living room, I will most definantely give Brian a call and by the newer speakers.

I still say,

Yambeka Rocks!

I'm thinking about buying a set of these (or Fluances, but they seem to be out of stock right now), but I was wondering if there were any issues compared to bookshelf speakers regarding positioning. Everything I've read says that a speaker setup should have the tweeters at ear level for ideal stereo imaging. These towers are 41" high, but the tweeters aren't the top element for some reason, there's a midrange driver above them. Does this bother anyone, or is it close enough?

The set I was going to buy, if I was going to buy a set of bookshelf speakers, is from TheSpeakerCompany.com. The price is about the same, and the TSC set comes with a subwoofer, but since I don't often listen to things at theater volume (not only would it bother other people, it gets on my nerves too) I figured that if I didn't want to have a subwoofer then the 8" woofers in the Yambekas would produce better bass than the 6" in the TSC bookshelves -- plus the Yambeka front speakers are 3-way vs. 2-way for TSC.

The other set I was considering was the Onkyo SKS-HT540 (since I'm going to get an Onkyo receiver, probably the 606), but I've seen other reviews say that both the TSC speakers and the Yambekas are better.

My current 2.0 setup consists of (don't laugh) a pair of Optimus Pro-77s. They produce quite a bit of bass (plenty for my taste) at higher volumes, but they start to sound a little muddy, which is why I'm looking for something a little better instead of just going super-cheap and buying a few more used pairs of those.

Jim S. I think it is best to use matched sets. If you don't need a lot of bass, the Yambekas will would be a good choice. Now as to ear level, you can buy a set of stands, I bought 2 sets of 2 stands from Walmart that have glass shelfs and each stand can store 30 DVDs, I like them.
Dan

OK, one more question for anyone who has the newest set: is the center channel speaker adequate? It only has 2 midrange drivers versus 3 and a woofer in the left and right speakers, and it's only rated 40 watts instead of 80. Is it going to be loud enough to be heard above the other two speakers? My gut feeling is that it is for me since I don't imagine myself ever driving the fronts to 80W anyway, but I wanted to check.

email sent to brian at yambeka...hoping to getahold of a old set of towers/speakers unless someone here is upgrading theirs and wants to sell me their old ones :)

Hey all. Is this the speakers you're talking about?

Yambeka Audio

$299 shipped? This is probably what I'm going to get (plus that h100 sub) if so. I'm trying to wind my way backwards through this thread.

Is this the 'update' of the original set?

alright I got my towers in, and I must say WOW...comparing them to my old HTIB, there is no comparison, Dolby True HD sounds amazing on these things, the only problem with them, is it shows how much I need to replace my center channel, oh well off to yambeka to buy that as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)