SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

Assuming you have input switching capability in your HT, put two hoppers there then you have 6 tuners available anywhere with Joeys at the other locations.

Assuming you have input switching capability in your HT, put two hoppers there then you have 6 tuners available anywhere with Joeys at the other locations.
Now that's a good idea!

Then the home theater has access to everything, and the other TVs are probably always set to "Hopper 1," but can jump to "Hopper 2" if there is a conflict. Good thinking. Easy on the family but provides flexibility.

So, when does that firmware come out that let's Hopper's see the recordings on each other?

This is big news. Should be a sticky. Now we just need OTA (over the air tuner to get locals not on dish and it will be perfected)

Just to confirm. Hopper One can see recordings on Hopper Two.

AND

Any Joey can see recording on any Hopper (one or two).

Is it the list automatically merged and automated like on DirecTV or do you have select from a menu which Hopper recordings you want to see?

This is big news. Should be a sticky. Now we just need OTA (over the air tuner to get locals not on dish and it will be perfected)

Just to confirm. Hopper One can see recordings on Hopper Two.

AND

Any Joey can see recording on any Hopper (one or two).

Is it the list automatically merged and automated like on DirecTV or do you have select from a menu which Hopper recordings you want to see?

You have to select which Hopper that you want to look at from a drop down.

Very happy with the new software update being added now able to access recordings from other Hoppers, this will allow me to turn off PTAT on one Hopper and open up a tuner when I need that third one every now and then :)

But a merged list is expected on down the road.

Have we actually heard that from Dish? I don't remember that, but I may be wrong. I think we all want it, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen. I personally bet that we are at the full extent of integration with this current update.

so, another $10 per month just to get HD on my TV2? :mad:

I thought Dish was going to make a thing that would enable my 722k to put HD on TV2. did dish scrap that? was I lied to?

The Sling Receiver 300 was scrapped a long time ago. And as someone who had one (well I still have it) you might want to THANK THEM for not releasing it. It was not good for using to watch TV all the time on TV2. The quality was always changing due to whatever you else you were doing on your home network. If someone started downloading a big file while you were watching TV the video quality would looks really bad. You don't want that for a second tv.... trust me. :)

I would certainly appreciate any insight on whether or not the Hopper/Joey is something I want to "hop" on.

I have been a Dish customer since the early 90's. My current situation is as follows:

722K for the main TV and bedroom TV(older TV, soon to be replaced with a 39" flat panel LCD)
222K for my in-law's LCD TV(keep in mind they are in their 80's and are a PITA when any "change" occurs.

I know that I will be wanting a separate receiver for the new TV going in our bedroom that is currently using the 722K, as I want HiDef for new TV. So I am faced with having a 722k(main tv), and (2) 222k's for my In-Laws and my bedroom.

I also have a very nice antennae mounted in my attic that allows me to receive OTA on the main TV/bedroom TV. I love my OTA but would be willing to give it up if
a) I can save money by going to the Hopper/Joey
b) Nothing changes for my In-Laws by popping in a Joey for their existing 222K
c) My overall functionality/satisfaction goes up by changing over.

One other bit of info: I am building out my basement this winter and part of it will host a 106" - 120" screen with a front projector. I would probably want a receiver to be connected there as well.

I currently have the best plan Dish offers(minus the movie channels). I am just like any consumer...I want more for less...:D

Regards,

Randy

I'd go with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey today and add a Joey later for the basement...

Thanks for responding to my post. It would be good to know why you are recommending the 2 Hoppers and one Joey. Am I to assume the two Hoppers would go in the main room and my bedroom with the Joey in my In-Law's room?

Currently with the 722K, I can record to TV1 or TV2 or antenna. I can also record from the bedroom TV(TV2). For now I just want to make sure I have HiDef transmission to my new bedroom TV. Maybe, an addtional 722K would be a better fit for the bedroom TV.

I have read through some other threads and will probably give DISH a call later tonight to get a grip on the costs going either way. Just wanted to be somewhat prepared as this website as certainly helped me in the past when ordering new equipment and getting the best deal as a current subscriber.:)

Thanks,

Randy

Yes having 2 Hoppers is the best setup, not only does it give you more tuners but it also gives you piece of mind so that if one Hopper dies you can still watch television on your TV's.

It shoul also be noted that DISH's computers can not setup a 2 Hopper 1 Joey setup. The computer requires one joey on each Hopper. So if you are looking for this type of setup it is best to contact your local DISH retailer. :)