SatelliteGuys Live Recap - Dish Retailer Chat 2/4/09

I have certainly used the tactic of underpromising things to my clients...makes you look great when you deliver early, or better than expected.

Unfortunately, Charile has a habit of underpromising AND underperforming.

I agree with you and also want to add another note. Before I found this site I had know idea of when anything or even if anything was going to be added. Therefore I was never disappointed and only delighted when something new was added. Since I now check this site regularly, I find myself getting let down because of rumors and uplink reports.

I love this site and am not knocking it in anyway.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we should not put the whole blame on Dish, we just shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch.

Charlie must have only paid for the rights to say he CAN carry the channels. To change that to DOES carry the channels costs extra.

With all the HD bitching, we've gone six pages and nobody has asked about something that jumped out at me immediately:

Dish will have special offers for existing customers who are impacted by the price change. Turbo HD Silver or Gold customers can get $10 Dish Dollars in Billing statement (must be mailed in to redeem). DishDVR advantage 200 with phone line or broadband connected or solo DVR receiver will receiver a $3/ month credit through the end of the year. Americas Everything Pack customers get nothing. :(

First, what about Turbo customers who don't get a statement in the mail?

Second, does DDA 200 include DDA 250? I would think it would, since the 250 appears on my statement as an add-on pack rather than a base pack, but then this is Dish we're talking about -- they're impervious to logic.

Third, speaking of being impervious to logic, what happened to dropping the phone-home requirement for a single dual-tuner DVR? I thought it was supposed to happen this month. Did it NOT happen? Is is not GOING to happen? Or are they (and I wouldn't put this past them) offering an incentive to keep it connected anyway, even though there's no rational reason for it?

This is what I would've questioned them about, had I had access to the chat. HD additions? Haven't we learned to not even bother trying to get info out of Dish about that?

By the way, I have a $3 credit on my account, but the last time I looked there was no explanation there for it, it just shows up in the balance. But my 622 is still connected to the Internet, until I need the port in my ethernet switch for something else -- or find out that they never dropped the requirement.

First, what about Turbo customers who don't get a statement in the mail?

I was wondering about that myself. To begin with, I signed up for paperless statements so that I could have the penny cinemax deal. So is this saying that I would have to give that up to get this discount?... That doesn't sound right...

You can take your rabbit ears and...

Local HD is useless and pointless to most of the population. I mean get a pair of rabbit ears and get them free OTA. I'm not paying 5 bucks for something I can get more of, of better quality and for free.

Ok, I'm sick of the high and mighty "get a pair of rabbit ears" responses. For most of the USA (land wise), rabbit ears DO NOT WORK. To get OTA where I live, it is well over a $200 investment to get an OK signal, and with a tower, it is almost $2000.

Keep in mind that the first adopters of DBS services were the people in the rural areas that couldn't get cable TV. It was much later that Dish and DirecTV started going into the cities where rabbit ears worked.

The people out in the sticks that depend on DBS to get their locals clearly were here first. We're glad to have more people along for the ride, but don't show up later and then tell us what we want.

Sorry for the rant, you probably don't deserve the blunt of my rage over this. Your comment is just one of many that don't understand.

Ok, I feel better...:eek:

Spring ! Spring ! Spring ! :mad::mad::mad:

I have been watching the rumors, waiting patiently, first i was thinking we were getting new HD near Xmas time, then after New Years, then after Ciel-2, and now I know Dish doesn't really think national HD is a priority anymore....

Never thought about quitting Dish but if Direct carries E! (for my wife) in HD before that "Spring" deadline, I'll definitely be jumping ship...

I just joined 5 min ago so you could say i am a newbie-LOL, but i have been visiting this and many other hd talk sites for a long time. I have HD programming since dish started offering it and been with dish since the "Primestar days". I think this site is a great place for discussion and I am well aware that i am not nearly as passionate or informed as most people who post here. Most of the discussion on any threads I read are 99% about hd programming and when a dish chat or ces arrises everyone including the founders talk about all the hd date questions they are going to ask dish reps, but when the time comes they back down and don't seem to ask what they said the were going to. Neither question sent in was about speciffic dates on new hd, and nothing was asked to charlie about hd programing specific dates on the ces video i watched from this site. How will you ever get an answer if you don't ask the tough questions?

Ok, I'm sick of the high and mighty "get a pair of rabbit ears" responses. For most of the USA (land wise), rabbit ears DO NOT WORK. To get OTA where I live, it is well over a $200 investment to get an OK signal, and with a tower, it is almost $2000.

Keep in mind that the first adopters of DBS services were the people in the rural areas that couldn't get cable TV. It was much later that Dish and DirecTV started going into the cities where rabbit ears worked.

The people out in the sticks that depend on DBS to get their locals clearly were here first. We're glad to have more people along for the ride, but don't show up later and then tell us what we want.

Sorry for the rant, you probably don't deserve the blunt of my rage over this. Your comment is just one of many that don't understand.

Ok, I feel better...:eek:

+1 and then some!

HD Locals coming after March, Baton Rouge, LA; Ft. Smith, AR; Great Falls, MT; Medford, Or; Panama City, FL; Butte MT; Ft. Wayne IN; Idaho Falls, ID; Meridian, MS; Sious Falls, SD; Cheyenne, WY; Gainsville, FL; Johnstown, PA; Minot, ND; Terre Haute, IN; Columbus, OH; Grand Junction, CO; La Crosse, WI; Missoula MT; Twin Falls, ID; Columbus-Tupelo, MS; Ft. Smith AR; Laredo, TX; Odessa, TX; Wausau, WI.

just hope this means that they aren't added a lot later than march, like december! but good to finally see Ft. Smith in the mix. D* has had them since last october i believe. i did notice last night watching "Fringe" on KFTA-FOX, that it was showing the HD logo in the lower right. maybe it will be sooner than after march. i'll wait and see!

just hope this means that they aren't added a lot later than march, like december! but good to finally see Ft. Smith in the mix. D* has had them since last october i believe. i did notice last night watching "Fringe" on KFTA-FOX, that it was showing the HD logo in the lower right. maybe it will be sooner than after march. i'll wait and see!
GRAND JUNCTION, CO YAY!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING SINCE 2YEARS AGO!!

Both Fox News HD and Fox Business HD have been removed from the TurboHD channel lineups on Dishnetwork.com. They were there earlier this afternoon.

They are on a roll today.

"Yes, we carry those HD channels. Well, no, not in our HD packages. But they're there!"

(Meanwhile, there's people like me who don't want them, but they come in just fine.)

I just joined 5 min ago so you could say i am a newbie-LOL, but i have been visiting this and many other hd talk sites for a long time. I have HD programming since dish started offering it and been with dish since the "Primestar days". I think this site is a great place for discussion and I am well aware that i am not nearly as passionate or informed as most people who post here. Most of the discussion on any threads I read are 99% about hd programming and when a dish chat or ces arrises everyone including the founders talk about all the hd date questions they are going to ask dish reps, but when the time comes they back down and don't seem to ask what they said the were going to. Neither question sent in was about speciffic dates on new hd, and nothing was asked to charlie about hd programing specific dates on the ces video i watched from this site. How will you ever get an answer if you don't ask the tough questions?

Scott, I think he is talking about you. Didn't you intereview the Big Cheese.

I sent in two questions to the chat.

1) Thanks for Fox News HD and Fox Business HD, however I am getting complaints from Turbo HD subscribers that both new channels are not available in the Turbo (HD Only) packages. (This is what they are being told by CSRS as the channels are listed in red in their guide) can you explain what's going on here?

2) The new pricing is in effect however customers are still seeing the old pricing on their February bills, does this new pricing apply to existing customers or only to new customers (after their promotional period)?

And here are their answers.

This is simply not true. Any of the FOXnews HD or BusinessHD is not going to go to the turbo packs. They want to see how popular the HD programing becomes in the next few weeks specially with the june digital switch, before they add any new programing to the Turbo HD only packs. The dish web site that shows the foxnews HD listed in bronze and the foxbusiness in gold turbo packs are mistakes. Also before any NEW HD added will not be added to the Turbo packs till they see how profitable; popular it is. we will see in april or may what is bein done with the turbo HD only packs watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)