SatelliteGuys Technolgy Review: The Slingbox from Sling Media

This just got put on the must buy list....

Why? Well I have a laptop I carry everywhere... I often sit outside on a nice day and messa round on the net... now i could watch TV.

When im at work early in the morn or late at night something to do while I wait.

I can eliminate the receiver in the office and one in the living room (PC hooked to TV). I have my HD receiver in my Living room as well... 1 DVR 1 HD

I can have something to do at the Airport while im waiting (Been flying a bit recently)

First you said this...
While watching CableTV is cool I want my Slingbox to do more, and at this point I am not sure it is possible. I would love to not only be able to watch cable TV but I would also like to be able to watch my satellite system. I have contacted Slingbox and hopefully this is something they can do in the future via a software upgrade.

Then this...
Scott Greczkowski said:
So far the answer is no, no DVR recordings. It is mainly so you can watch TV from any location with a computer.

However if you have it hooked up to a DVR you can watch DVR'ed shows. :)

Are you talking about a SA Tivo, or can I watch shows from my 721?

If it has an option to hook up normal A/V jacks, then you should be able to watch what's on the satellite. Changing the channel and guide info would be interesting though.

Hey SatelliteGuys members,

Here is our review of the Slingbox, this review was first made available to our supporting pub members, however we are now happy to make this review available to all.

If you have any questions on the Slingbox please post them here.

Thank you for your support of SatelliteGuys.US!

I just thought of something else I did not put in my review, and that the Slingbox only works with mainstream equipment.

I wanted to use it with with my Fortech Lifetime Ultra FTA receiver, however that recevier is not supported by the Slingbox. The Slingbox needs an IR receiver so the home users can program the IR codes of non standard equipment which is not yet supported by Sling.

For some reason I think the satellite companies would despise this device. People watching their service from multiple locations and only paying for one?

after they add more features, i might look into this. i can't install software on my computer at work. like you said, you should be able to log into a website to view it.

This may be a must get for me - great review Scott. BTW the tip about the remote IR and the video camera will come in very handy.

In the coming months, SlingPlayer™ software, the software application that connects users to their Slingbox and allows remote control of the video source device, will be available for select PDAs, smart phones, and Macintosh computers. The SlingPlayer applications will be fully compatible with Slingbox product sold today. Please visit our section on this website for the latest information on additional Slingbox and SlingPlayer platform compatibility.

I have been in contact with Jason from Sling Media today who has given me a way to switch between cable tv and the AV Inputs.

Here is the advice from Jason
Still not great, but you don’t have to run through the ENTIRE set up wizard to change the av settings…

SHORT CUT is to go to slingbox directory (under VIEW menu). Then select your box and hit edit properties. Under slingbox configuration, choose audio/video settings (see below). This will take you straight to a/v set up (no need to go through networking and other steps).
Thanks Jason!

Very interesting product! And no subscription fees!!! :up

Scott Greczkowski said:
It is mainly so you can watch TV from any location with a computer.
However if you have it hooked up to a DVR you can watch DVR'ed shows. :)
So, if you are connected to a DVR (like 942), you can configure that DVR remotely. Correct?

If so, this is another great feature! Suppose, while browsing www.hightechtv.net at work you suddenly realize that there is an interesting show that starts in the afternoon when you are going to be on your way home. What do you do? You connect to your DVR via the Internet and set the DVR timer to record the show! Isn't this cool?!!

Ilya said:
Very interesting product! And no subscription fees!!! :up

So, if you are connected to a DVR (like 942), you can configure that DVR remotely. Correct?
Sure you can, it's like sitting in front of your DVR with full remote control. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes that's what it does. :)

I am going to try viewing it from remote today to see how it does.

The Slingbox uses port 5001 and I dont believe there is a single ISP which blocks that port. :D

Scott, do you have any sort of bandwidth monitoring software? I would like to know the up/down speeds of your home server when you are watching 942 HD at your office. Also (if you don't mind) are you cable/dsl FTTP :D & the rate

This would be very good for those that want to watch and control their television with their laptop outside or if they are on the road and can access high speed internet at another location. For those that are in a spotbeam locals market and like to camp you can take a travelling broadband satellite internet with you and watch the stations that way with your laptop and watch the locals that way. This would also be the safe way to watch DVR shows on the road without having to bring that DVR with you which is sensative to vibrations and woudl not be good to take with you on the road.

This would also be great for those that cannot receive line of site to a satellite system. They could have the system installed elsewhere and access it from their home if they have high speed internet. I wonder if Dish Network would ever come out with something using this type of technology. This would be great to combine with the archos portable DVR unit.

Can Slingbox connect to my network wirelessly? How does it perform the remote connections if it hooked up by standard connectors?

I'm gonna buy one and send it to my sister in Maryland so I can watch the Redskins games here in Florida...wink, wink... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts