Saw this ad on Syfy tonight

So, they're a lobbying group on behalf of the cable/satellite industry? Broadcast TV is still broadcast. If consumers don't want to pay a monthly fee for it, they can get an antenna and receive broadcasts at no charge, at least near population centers. Some folks who live in un-served locations obviously do not have this option. I am not trying to apologize for the station owners here, but that is exactly what I plan to do once my contract is up in December. There are plenty of OTA DVRs to choose from these days as well, if that is a requirement.

My point here is that the Cable/Satellite companies are not blameless in this. They are playing the same Wall Street game to maximize their profits as the station owners.

I happen to be in one of those "un-served" locations so this seems to be the best choice for me. I would love to see them go back to the "must carry" rule but alas I don't see it coming.

I happen to be in one of those "un-served" locations so this seems to be the best choice for me. I would love to see them go back to the "must carry" rule but alas I don't see it coming.

I always tell this to people who are concerned about re-trans disputes. If the local station really wanted to guarantee that everyone could watch them, then they would go to "must carry". But we all no that isn't happening because it's all about the money and not the viewers. And as far as "fairness" because cable channels get paid to be carried. Well I can't get USA/SyFy/TNT/etc over my antenna for free.

Reactions: yelraek

My point here is that the Cable/Satellite companies are not blameless in this. They are playing the same Wall Street game to maximize their profits as the station owners.

Not on this issue, this is what so many of us have been saying and complaining about for quite some time. There are hundreds of posts here saying essentially the same thing.

Everyone needs to check out this web site. They have a way for you to send an email to your states representatives telling them how you feel about the local blackouts during re-trans negotiations. That is if you care about it. If you don't, don't bother!

Everyone needs to check out this web site. They have a way for you to send an email to your states representatives telling them how you feel about the local blackouts during re-trans negotiations. That is if you care about it. If you don't, don't bother!
Oh, I see what the point is now. I totally missed that aspect. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)