Scott's C-Band Dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We have lots of space here. :)

After having a bunch of stuff to do tonight I finally hooked up a receiver (AZBOX) and have scanned 72 and 58. I am loving KBS World on 58.

A lot of the stuff listed on TheList as being in the clear on 58 is now scrambled. (Like all the Fox stuff)

When I figure out how to display the Transponder APID VPID etc on the AZ Box I will alert QWERT of the changes for TheList. (There are also a few channels in the clear which are not on the list.

I may move over to 55 next and see what I find there. :)

This is GREAT! :D

So spent the night playing with the new Dish and only managed scanning in 3 satellites in that time. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was seeing.

My signals on 55, 58 and 72 were in the low 70's. I am wondering how far East I can go as I locked the dish down at 55 as it was as far as it could go without falling over. Looking at the satellite charts does not seem to be anything beyond 55 that is worth picking up. I am still not sure how far West I can get, I know on my meter I was able to get the 105 satellite, but havent tried to get over there yet on a receiver. We gave up testing with the meter on 105 as we figured if we were tracking from 55 to 105 then it appears we were tracking ok. :)

I think I am going to have to move back to my old trusty Fortec Mercury II receiver instead of using the AZBOX as my main receiver. THe AZBOX has a few issues as the moment and here they are...

1) I am using a Sadoun GBOX positioner, while the GBOX can manual move the dish using DISEQC 1.2 it does not save the positions when found. On my screen in the DISEQC settings there is not option to save position. I don't want to keep moving the dish by hand, I want to Ron Popeil it... "Set it and forget it."

2) In scanning 55 and 58 degrees last night I found a number of changes to the channel listings which are featured on THELIST, but I have found no good way on the AZBOX to press an info button and find out all the technical data about the channel I am watching. That data being channel frequency, Video Pid, Audio Pids and PCR.

3) The AZBOX does not Blind Scan yet. They say that they will soon be having a software release which will give it a psuedo Blind Scan, but with no Blind Scan yet it makes finding new stuff hard. :)

I am thinking on the AZBOX of just deleting all the satellites, and making just two.. C BAND and KU Band. Then I can add in the transponders of anything I want to watch on the AZBOX after the Fortec box moves the Dish. The Fortec unit has been a good little box and will again be usefull. Anything S2 or 4:2:2 I will watch on the AZBOX. I do hope that the AZBOX folks can fix the issues I have mentioned above so I can go back to using just one box.

If anyone has any tips on slaving the boxes let me know. I have done it a few years ago but not in a long long time. :)

I do wish I could subscribe just for a day to the SKY programming on 58 degrees. Looks like lots of interesting programming there including a few HD channels. :)

I am still hoping to find some C Band guru to come over and help me finish tweaking my Dish. I want it as perfect as I can get it and want to be able to see as many satellites as possible.

I do feel proud of everything I was able to do to get this running. I can't tell you how happy I was when I caught that first signal yesterday afternoon. :D

Scott To Save Sat In Diseqc Setting Go Down To Command Mode Then Arrow Left Or Right Till You See Save Hit Ok And That Will Save Your Sat
Data Info Hit The Ok Button It Will Be At The Bottom Of The Pop up Screen.

Whats command mode? Is that on the AZBOX of the GBOX?

Hitting OK on the remote will display the channel information? I thought that just showed the channel list. I will have to try it when I get home. :)

I REALLY want to go home today. :D :D

Very bad news...

My Dish is no more. :( :( :(

I had my dish set with limits on the GBOX unit (East and West) when I had the GBOX outside. I though that when they were stored outside they were set in the box.

I am guessing that when I unplugged the GBOX to bring it in the house that it lost its settings for its east west limits. As I went in and ran the receiver to the east and west to set the limits (I can't see the dish in the house.)

After that I tried tuning the dish to a known satellite, the strength level on the receiver wouldn't change and the quality meter was stuck at zero.

I went outside to check the dish and was crushed by what I saw. The dish was at a 90 degree angle pinted to the east side of the arc.

I took a closeup look of the mount and saw that the threaded rod that control the declination snapped in half. And the top of the mount where actuator is scred in was ben down.

The mount it totally shot. :(

It was my fault it broke and I take full responsibility.

I am crushed and not sure what to do now. :(

Too dark outside for pics. I will take some in the morning.

The Dish looked ok, just the top of the mount and declination screw were damaged. I will take a closer look in the morning when there is light out there. :( :(

I can't tell you how sad I am.

Very bad news...

My Dish is no more. :( :( :(

I had my dish set with limits on the GBOX unit (East and West) when I had the GBOX outside. I though that when they were stored outside they were set in the box.

I am guessing that when I unplugged the GBOX to bring it in the house that it lost its settings for its east west limits. As I went in and ran the receiver to the east and west to set the limits (I can't see the dish in the house.)

After that I tried tuning the dish to a known satellite, the strength level on the receiver wouldn't change and the quality meter was stuck at zero.

I went outside to check the dish and was crushed by what I saw. The dish was at a 90 degree angle pinted to the east side of the arc.

I took a closeup look of the mount and saw that the threaded rod that control the declination snapped in half. And the top of the mount where actuator is scred in was ben down.

The mount it totally shot. :(

It was my fault it broke and I take full responsibility.

I am crushed and not sure what to do now. :(
:eek:that sucks!!!! Good luck Scott!

Rats! Did the actuator do that?? Wonder if you're actuator is ok......pics pics tomorow! I'm sure you can get parts to remedy that. Part of the c-band experience is to tear up the first dish, I think, I did it too. (ran my first 10' down on a ladder and ruined it)

Very important to always set the actuator limits along with setting limits on the receiver or gbox/vbox, had a few friends mess there dishes up like this. This is important incase the receiver goes crazy and just runs the actuator on it's own kind of like the 920 or 922's when they first came out, I think it was the run away actuator bug, horror stories from people who did not set the limit outside was the norm.

I hope it's just a bolt string that dish man, good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What dish size?

C band Question ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts