Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Correct. D* is following the law here. If locals are available to you then they have to shut down the national feeds.
The only reason why I questioned it is because I know others in the same Zip Code which get the NBC feeds since we are in a NBC O&O market.

Yes I can pick up (with an antenna) WWLP out of Springfield, Ma.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
The only reason why I questioned it is because I know others in the same Zip Code which get the NBC feeds since we are in a NBC O&O market.

When I challenged D* on it 2+ years ago, their audit showed WWLP as Grade B signal which means with the right antenna I can get WWLP (I can if I rotate my antenna up north). D* then applied to WWLP for the waiver on my behalf since WVIT automatically granted it but WWLP denied it. So I think a few folks were able to get it in the past if they were able to work the system but I think with the crack down of national feeds and any overlapping channels in adjoining markets will result in no national feed. That does not equally apply across a DMA but has mainly to do with the antenna signal grade meter at your specific address.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX

Did they have the WNBC-DT feed active before they activated the local HD channels? If they did that's the reason they have them now still.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Scott, to dim the LED circle, press the left and right buttons on the circle at the same time, doing it four times completly turns them off. It's also a nice way to see if your box has rebooted on its own since they come back on at a reboot.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
As for Scott's comments and peoples take on his initial HD quality feedback, there is certainly a difference in the local MPEG4 channels and the national HD MPEG2 ones. I think D* to fight for space, has compressed the hell out of them. What most of us are finding is that the newer MPEG4 ones are pretty darn good and as close to MPEG2 OTA as you can get. Most don't and cant notice any difference. I am sure there is always going to be something since you are modifying the original feed but its good.

That being said, when the new sats launch and the new HD comes out as MPEG4, the channels WILL look better then the current compressed MPEG2. What will be interesting to see is how quickly they convert the current MPEG2 ones to MPEG4 forcing you to use the HR20 or H20 receivers to see them. They might mirror them for a bit but I sure hope they move quickly to MPEG4 as it is clearly better then the current MPEG2 HD.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
There is a BIG difference between the MPEG4 and MPEG2 channels. As I said the MPEG4 LIL's are almost as good (if not as good) as getting them from OTA.

KimmiKat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 11, 2005
At a computer.
Looks like Scots a lucky guy! I would end up in the dog house! Although there would be a dish on the thing!

Do you know what month this is??? It's Scott's Birthday month. And guess what he wanted for his birthday???? DIRECTTV. He has it bad huh? That is the ONLY reason I allowed another dish in addition to all the ones we have.

Hint to the fellas worried about the WAF. Install in line with a holiday, Bday, fathers day, etc. And wife will have a harder time saying no.

There are 3 HDTVs in my bedroom as well as at least 5 receivers for assorted things, I really don't know how many because I only use my Dish622.

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2004
There is a BIG difference between the MPEG4 and MPEG2 channels. As I said the MPEG4 LIL's are almost as good (if not as good) as getting them from OTA.

Yep, same in my market.

Basically any market with the *newer* MPEG4 encoders are like this, you almost can't tell the difference between OTA and the MPEG4 versions. But if a market still has the older encoders or has issues with receiving the channel then there are problems (Boston is a famous market for this).

And many of the "MPEG4 locals problems" have been tracked down to being actually with the local station (i.e. similar issues OTA). Problem is that there are so many people now that don't have OTA to compare so they don't know any better and thus blame MPEG4 and/or DirecTV right away. I always recommend that people go to AVS and find their local area HD thread to check the status of the station themselves. More often then not it's a problem with the station.

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
Maybe my eyes aren't as discerning as some others (I am 68, have a few small cataracts and don't look at the screen up close through a magnifying glass to study each pixel), but I find the MPEG2 video to be quite acceptable, particularly Discovery HD Theater and HDNet. Occasionally the same baseball game will be on both channel 95 (MPEG2) and 96 (MPEG4) and they look pretty much the same to me.

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
Scott,
Good project....However...........no lag bolts in the truck.........drive say forty miles one way to get more............spend over an hour getting the eq activated and logged into the dealers system........do three more before the call center closes at 9:00PM, your time.
If you miss ANYTHING you may get dinged $100.00.
You know what I'm saying.

Joe

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
I hope Scott has recovered from his b-day, had a nice day at work, and a good dinner since I want to see the next chapter in this soap opera.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Even though Directv's picture quality might not be as good as Dish Network. For me Cable sucks as far as picture quality where I live and I have had Directv since before the HD ever came around so I have just stuck with it.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
Even though Directv's picture quality might not be as good as Dish Network. For me Cable sucks as far as picture quality where I live and I have had Directv since before the HD ever came around so I have just stuck with it.

I thought I saw a Dish Dish on your house... or was i Imagining it?

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I thought I saw a Dish Dish on your house... or was i Imagining it?

Yeah at one time I had Dish for HD when Directv didn't have TNT-HD, because I wanted to watch NASCAR in HD. Also I wanted to look at the VOOM channels.

moonman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2005
So. Fla.
Per the "cutting edge" forum at dbstalk, there will be new HR20-700 software available tonight: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=88897.
-------------------------
Just as a "head's up" programming wise.....if anyone cares, HBO is having a Star Wars maraton at 3:15 today, showing all 6 episodes in OAR and H/D...if you have
this on your "to do" list, then I suggest you take the D/L of the CE Beta Sat. night
instead of tonight(Fri. June1) for obvious reasons....

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Scott, are you going to be doing the R15, and if you have a HR20-700 STB, CE downloads tonight? Any progress in getting your D* issues resolved, you've been quiet on that front as of late?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts