Scott's Rumor Confirmed: Seven New HD Nationals Coming to Dish in August/September

All they need is the equivalent of 1 TP to add 6 new HD channels. Squeezing VOOM's bandwidth down with MPEG4 should enable them to add 15 new HD channels --- 15 MPEG2 channels at 3 channel per TP == 30 MPEG4 channels on the same number of transponders.

Yeah well once the 2 new Sats go up and everything is on MPEG4 they will have plenty of room. Plus most folks should not have to use the 129 anymore as well and just another reason folks need to get on MPEG4 receivers. :)

Last edited:
Yeah well once the 2 new Sats go up and everything is on MPEG4 they will have plenty of room. Plus most folks should not half to use the 129 anymore as well and just another reason folks need to get on MPEG4 receivers. :)

I'm very mixed about the possibility of 129 going away. 129 has been very beneficial to "movers" and other hand it's not reliable as it should be. I wouldn't have any problem with it if they got a certain DMA in HD though :).

I'm not as happy-happy joy-joy as everone else in this thread. The fact is, more channels are coming and they keep taking down full-rez channels each month to get there. There is no end in sight to this trend. Once taken, no channels have ever come back from HD-Lite Hell.

Hammer

The quality of the channels hasn't changed much on 61.5/129 in the past couple of months.

All they need is the equivalent of 1 TP to add 6 new HD channels. Squeezing VOOM's bandwidth down with MPEG4 should enable them to add 15 new HD channels --- 15 MPEG2 channels at 3 channel per TP == 30 MPEG4 channels on the same number of transponders.

They could leave the VOOMs alone and add the 6-7 HD channels on the wings right now. But that doesn't leave them any breathing room if they lose any additional TP's on the tired wing birds.

Yeah well once the 2 new Sats go up and everything is on MPEG4 they will have plenty of room. Plus most folks should not half to use the 129 anymore as well and just another reason folks need to get on MPEG4 receivers. :)

half of 129? or is it "not have"?

Sorry it should be have not half my point is this once the two new stats are up that will run the new MPEG4 service. Then you should not need the 129 just the two new stats is all. The 129 will still be there but as folks get onto the new service they will not need the 129 to get their HD like I do now. This is what I understood the way things would work gathering the information after this year Dish Summit Show. :)

Don't worry about USA-HD and SciFi-HD - they will be on Dish as soon as they are launched. Dish has a very close relationship with Universal. Also, the fact that "UNIHD" was not changed to "UNI" in a similar fashion to the other HD channels, would seem to indicate that it will be replaced by those two, and thereby only space for one new HD channel would be needed...

I'd rather have the resolution bumped down a little bit in order to enjoy all the channels of HD programming... I had Comcast before Dish Network and I honestly can tell no difference between the two. Myself and some members of the family have actually said it looks better than Comcast on some channels. I actually think the HD locals pop out more on Dish Network than they did on Comcast.

You can't have your cake and eat it too... there has to be some sacrifice. Would you rather have 5-10 full rez HD channels or 30+ slightly compressed HD channels?

Where are my three favorite HD channels?

Dear Charlie,
Please add 1.MOJO HD

2. OUTDOOR CHANNEL 2 HD

3. BIG TEN HD by SEPTEMBER

IMO, INHD+INHD2 (now MOJO) were horrible channels when I had them on Comcast. I seriously NEVER watched them and I tend to watch anything as long as it's in HD.

Is MOJO any different from the old INHD and INHD2?

Considering that MOJO was just a HD filler channel for cable companys when there were not enough HD channels out there, I doubt that Charlie will feel the need to add this to Dish's line up.

There are more than enough mainstream HD channels about to launch this year, so why take up space with a channel which is quickly becoming irrelevant and would only funnel $ back to the cable companies? So unless the Mojo folks know how to really cut a deal, I doubt we will be seeing this on E* ever.

I think I read where the Science channel will require the AT250 package. Anybody know how and why they pick certain channels to be in certain packages? I have AT100 with HD package and the Sports package. I guess i will probably have to upgrade service to get the really good channels. I'm sure SCIFI HD will be in the upper tier package.

Because the HD channels mirror the SD channels, and the SD channels are only available in certain packages (such as The Science Channel is in AT250)

Look for dish to change the HD Programming Fee to be renamed the "HD Technology Fee" sometime in the future. As some folks paying $20 for HD think that they should be getting all the HD programming available, when that is not the case.

IMO, INHD+INHD2 (now MOJO) were horrible channels when I had them on Comcast. I seriously NEVER watched them and I tend to watch anything as long as it's in HD.

Is MOJO any different from the old INHD and INHD2?

Well, arguably the most important difference is that MOJO doesn't have the MLB games that INHD had.

Watch out lakebum, its hard to tell these guys anything. Next we'll be hearing about how theyd rather just have SD than look at these lower rez hd channels :neener

Nah.... The Big Boys leave that to those of you that like those low rez low bit rates. That's right up your alley. We want maximum resolution at maximum bit rates. Just as long as you can make out the Dish Network Logo through the overly compressed squared pixels, You're in heaven and Dish Network can do no wrong!

So, make sure you understand where I stand. Maximum RESOLUTION HD with HIGH BIT RATES! Nothing else will do! Got it?

:hungry:

i'm excited, getting the real discovery channel and science channel (and hopefully keeping theater as it is). now we're getting some real HD channels. most shows on discovery are letterboxed and that is such a waste sending pre-letterboxed SD so you have to zoom to get full picture. The future is low bitrate, nothing we can do about it. I'm sorry but they got us hooked / getting used to softer pictures what can you do?

Just as long as you can make out the Dish Network Logo through the overly compressed squared pixels, You're in heaven and Dish Network can do no wrong!

I thought you were not a Dish subscriber ?

All the text and logos on all the HD channels on Dish are quite crisp and clear - they've never looked overly compressed to me.

Text and logos (usually) have no motion and so require almost no bitrate.

I thought you were not a Dish subscriber ?

All the text and logos on all the HD channels on Dish are quite crisp and clear - they've never looked overly compressed to me.

Text and logos (usually) have no motion and so require almost no bitrate.

Sounds like he's confusing the Dish Network logo with the Directv logo. :)

Spike said:
So, make sure you understand where I stand. Maximum RESOLUTION HD with HIGH BIT RATES! Nothing else will do! Got it?

Not to throw fuel into the fire.. but I'm curious as to something. Your sig says you've switched to D* as of July 6th. I believe you were with Comcast previously. Max resolution and high bit rates? Are you getting that with D* currently?

What will you do if D* launches their new HD channels and they're still HD-Lite, to ensure maximum channel availability? :)

Again, just pure simple curiosity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts