Scott's Team Summit Photo Dump

Yes, that would make too much sense. They have done more things in their last product releases that is leading more this direction. One example is the 211, adding an EHD makes it a DVR. That was a wonderful thing that they did. Another is adding additional EHD for expanded storage (722 and 922). Next is adding OTA tuner to the 813. That one final thing by adding tuners like we do EHD and OTA tuner would be great for great expandability.

So you can add a usb ota tuner to each 110 box and to the 813 itself ? That would mean three 110 boxes and one 813, you could theoretically be able to have 4 ota tuners added to the three sat tuners= 7 tuners going at one time, if you wanted to record all 7 of them.

So you can add a usb ota tuner to each 110 box and to the 813 itself ? That would mean three 110 boxes and one 813, you could theoretically be able to have 4 ota tuners added to the three sat tuners= 7 tuners going at one time, if you wanted to record all 7 of them.

i haven't seen what size of chip these will have. I hope that they are powered enough. The 922 turned out to be underpowered (by Charlie's own admission). It seemed not to be able to really support a full browser. 7 tuners at once would require some real computing power I would think.

Last edited:
If these boxes are under powered then let me add that they need an expansion slot to add/upgrade memory/processor in these things since they are more like a computer these days.

i haven't seen what size of chip these will have. I hope that they are powered enough. The 922 turned out to be underpowered (by Charlie's own admission). It seemed not to be able to really support a full browser. 7 tuners at once would require some real computing power I would think.

I think the 922 was a learning experience for them. And the 813 uses the same software base. I would hope that they would have beefed up the spec now that the have a known baseline. And the software development shouldn't take as long as the 922 did, unless something goes horribly wrong since they won't be starting from scratch. Secondly, I don't think the OTA USB tuners can be plugged into the 110 remote boxes that would be a ton of extra traffic over the coax network that really isn't necessary. Finally, now that the "Time Warp" patent is cleared for use, the DVR functions shouldn't take up as much resources as boxes before it which I think it why they are shooting for an extra satellite tuner.

All of these options are starting to make my head spin. I was a big fan of dish for a long while: 508 receivers, 921, & 622. They made me wait so long for Whole Home DVR (2 years for a sling extender that hasn't arrived & you need a 722 for) that I gave up and went to Direct a few months back. With the constant threats to shut down one channel or another for pricing issues that are often measured in pennies, it was just no longer worth the hassle. I love technology, and it's nice to see Dish continuing to grow, but this is really too little, too late. I will bet that by the time Dish finally releases the 813 and 110, Direct will have overcome the single stream limitation on their whole home DVR. In the mean time, I can still use it...instead of waiting a year only to have Dish pull the rug out from under me either by charging a ridiculous price for it or delivering only half a solution.

I'm not trying to start a flame here, but it's clear to me that Dish is on the decline. For their sake, I hope they figure out how to get back into the game quickly.

Dish is on the decline? WOW. I feel the exact opposite. Dish is make huge decisions and putting a LOT of money back into the company. They big plans for the future and I can see the are very serious about it. If you are a satellite fan I don't know how you can't be excited. I understand that waiting is a pain but that's what this industry is. It's been this way for as long as I've been following it. New products get announced, delayed, canceled, etc... They the way it goes. may need to find a new hobby it you can't handle it. LOL

I am seeing the same thing, DISH is building for the future, all the building blocks are in place.

Actually its kind of exciting to see whats starting to happen now.

Is there any hope of Directv coming out with a new DVR that is not so slow particularly in the EPG? Or are there no plans of them releasing something new?

One thing I got from Team Summit this year was that there really wasn't a lot of changes to happen now. Very few changes to promotions and equipment. It was very low key compared to other years. This Team Summit seemed to be more of a transitioning year. They laid out their gameplan. If things pan out the way I think they will, Dish will be in the drivers seat when it comes to technology and being able to watch TV any way you want, whenever you want, where ever you are.

Next year's TS should be rather interesting as we will probably hear more about the Hughesnet/wireless spectrum/Blockbuster thing they are trying to do and maybe it all work together?

I have way too much on EHDs. I could buy a Hauppauge, but I'm not so inclined. I'm quite happy with Dish and my service. Fios would have to match Dish DVR features pretty closely AND be significantly cheaper for me to consider moving. Around here, they don't do either.

I suspect Dish/Echostar has something big up their sleeves, and it'll be fun to watch it unfold. Instant gratification isn't everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts